Sponsored

Front end rattle on bumps - Track bar? Or am I tripping and it's just bump steer

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong section

I'm trying to figure out this rattle that I've got going on. It's more a thud like rattle kinda a wobble? If that makes sense as if something is oscillating on some bumps I sorta hear it behind the steering wheel. It happens sometimes if I hit a bump mid-corner or if I nail a speed bump just right. I'm gonna take a video tomorrow cause I know describing sounds online is like trying to describe a color to a blind person. But I'm suspecting the trackbar mostly. I had it replaced under warranty for wandering but even with the old one, this is something that's sorta developed(i think because I don't remember it doing this before my last oil change). I've tested my dads JT, and it doesn't really do it. And I've driven new and old jeeps, and new ones don't make the same fun sound, and usually, the older ones will.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong section

I'm trying to figure out this rattle that I've got going on. It's more a thud like rattle kinda a wobble? If that makes sense as if something is oscillating on some bumps I sorta hear it behind the steering wheel. It happens sometimes if I hit a bump mid-corner or if I nail a speed bump just right. I'm gonna take a video tomorrow cause I know describing sounds online is like trying to describe a color to a blind person. But I'm suspecting the trackbar mostly. I had it replaced under warranty for wandering but even with the old one, this is something that's sorta developed(i think because I don't remember it doing this before my last oil change). I've tested my dads JT, and it doesn't really do it. And I've driven new and old jeeps, and new ones don't make the same fun sound, and usually, the older ones will.
You've just got something that isn't TQ'd properly. Go through each bolt and TQ them to spec and you're issue will likely go away.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
You've just got something that isn't TQ'd properly. Go through each bolt and TQ them to spec and you're issue will likely go away.
Guess i’m gonna have a nice project next week. I’ve been chasing this for a while since i was stock for a while now. I thought maybe it was the factory track bar; dealer swapped it for a new part number. Still the same thing. All the control arms and track bars should still be torqued from when i did the suspension swap. i’m gonna try to get a video though.

The sound sorta goes through the steering wheel on certain bumps, and it just feels like mini death wobble i guess. The whole front end feels like it’s shimmying

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

So around 8 seconds in for the first bump that you can hear it with. It seems to be coming through the steering column but doesn’t really jerk the steering wheel. But I can feel that through the wheel.

So i’m not too sure what would the solution be, and i don’t really have a way to mount my phone under the jeep.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Figure i’d update, the joint on the drag link connecting to the pitman arm has play left to right.
My dad helped me look at, we torqued everything down and got to the drag link. So i’m gonna try to see if my stealership can swap it. If not i may buy a synergy drag link.

Sponsored

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Figure i’d update, the joint on the drag link connecting to the pitman arm has play left to right.
My dad helped me look at, we torqued everything down and got to the drag link. So i’m gonna try to see if my stealership can swap it. If not i may buy a synergy drag link.
Did you ever figure this out?

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Did you ever figure this out?
Man it’s the stupidest noise. The front still does kinda shimmy but i figure it’s a live axle.

But the noise, it’s from the coolant reservoir shaking when hitting a bump. Zip ties fixed it for me.

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
I’m experiencing this exact noise how did you go about zip tieing. Can you snap a picture?

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I’m experiencing this exact noise how did you go about zip tieing. Can you snap a picture?
I’ll post a pic after work but I wrapped zip ties around the coolant reservoir and the bracket.

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Bro pics would be awesome. I’ve been chasing this sound for the better part of a year! Thanks man!
Sponsored