Front Driveshaft on Metal Cloak 3.5" Lift

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
For those with the Metal Cloak 3 1/2" lift, is it really important to measure for a new front drive-shaft, if so, what measurement are you coming up with. I would think it would be the same for all, if the same lift is used. Wouldn't the slip joint make-up for slight differences. I'm trying to save turn around time for the lift installation.
Sponsored

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
For those with the Metal Cloak 3 1/2" lift, is it really important to measure for a new front drive-shaft, if so, what measurement are you coming up with. I would think it would be the same for all, if the same lift is used. Wouldn't the slip joint make-up for slight differences. I'm trying to save turn around time for the lift installation.
My 392 front OEM drive shaft measured 37.5" as Adams suggests to measure and is what I sent to Adams for my 1350 order. I asked if I should wait to take the measurement post lift, and Adams said the difference with OEM 392 lift and MC 3.5" would not matter enough to worry about it.

Just a heads up that if you have an aftermarket skid as I do (MC), you will have to remove the t-case skid to access the needle grease port on the t-case side of the aftermarket drive shaft to maintenance, every 3000 miles or so. The slip yoke grease zerk is simple and easy to access without any need to remove skids. The needle zerk is in a tight spot and difficult to see. Although I new I would have to periodically grease the front drive shaft, Adams said because the 392 is full time 4 wheel drive, and because of the angle on the CV joint, the front drive shaft CV (t-case end) would need grease maintenance more frequent than non 392 models. I thought that was interesting.

aggiechris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
My 392 front OEM drive shaft measured 37.5" as Adams suggests to measure and is what I sent to Adams for my 1350 order. I asked if I should wait to take the measurement post lift, and Adams said the difference with OEM 392 lift and MC 3.5" would not matter enough to worry about it.

Just a heads up that if you have an aftermarket skid as I do (MC), you will have to remove the t-case skid to access the needle grease port on the t-case side of the aftermarket drive shaft to maintenance, every 3000 miles or so. The slip yoke grease zerk is simple and easy to access without any need to remove skids. The needle zerk is in a tight spot and difficult to see. Although I new I would have to periodically grease the front drive shaft, Adams said because the 392 is full time 4 wheel drive, and because of the angle on the CV joint, the front drive shaft CV (t-case end) would need grease maintenance more frequent than non 392 models. I thought that was interesting.
When I called Adams they said the opposite to measure after the list was installed.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

When I called Adams they said the opposite to measure after the list was installed.
They make them for Quadratec and NorthRidge at an average length all the time. Even the MC one comes with the kit so there is no need to go back and forth on measurements. Mine came in at 38" from Adam's when I asked them to just ship one before I installed the kit. I was in a rush and they had no problem sending it out prior to measurement.

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Did you mention you were going from 2.0"on the 392 to 3.5"? Once I mentioned that, they said to go ahead and measure as the difference would not matter enough to wait.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392

Wow, removing the T-case skid to service the needle zerk fitting every 3k miles sounds like a royal PITA....

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Wow, removing the T-case skid to service the needle zerk fitting every 3k miles sounds like a royal PITA....
No doubt and gave me pause going down the lift route. May have to go back to stock wheels/tires/lift and drive shafts.

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
No doubt and gave me pause going down the lift route. May have to go back to stock wheels/tires/lift and drive shafts.
Is there someway to cut out the skid plate in the area to reach the fitting?

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
I have the RK 3.5” and had to replace my drive shaft. It was fine for cruising the mall and fire roads, but any flexing and the shaft would be into the outer lip of the Rzeppa joint.

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Is there someway to cut out the skid plate in the area to reach the fitting?
I am sure there is a solution, just not obvious to me yet. I may call MetalCloak and discuss with them. They are very responsive and helpful. I may just have to become fluent with removing the tranny skid on a regular basis. The problem with the MC skid system is that the "back" tranny skid is tucked under the "front" engine/oil pan skid. So, the bolts on the the front skid have to be loosened/removed to drop the back skid. And given the weight, jack stands and floor jacks are helpful to support the load working on the ground, and require nimble navigation of the creeper. May need to invest in a two pole lift system. A byproduct of owning jeeps is that I've become quite proficient negotiating with my wife to buy new tools :).

Sponsored

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I am sure there is a solution, just not obvious to me yet. I may call MetalCloak and discuss with them. They are very responsive and helpful. I may just have to become fluent with removing the tranny skid on a regular basis. The problem with the MC skid system is that the "back" tranny skid is tucked under the "front" engine/oil pan skid. So, the bolts on the the front skid have to be loosened/removed to drop the back skid. And given the weight, jack stands and floor jacks are helpful to support the load working on the ground, and require nimble navigation of the creeper. May need to invest in a two pole lift system. A byproduct of owning jeeps is that I've become quite proficient negotiating with my wife to buy new tools :).
I wonder if putting in a non-serviceable u-joint would be the solution...

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I wonder if putting in a non-serviceable u-joint would be the solution...
The U-joints are non greasable on the Adams 1350 Extreme Duty DS but the half round cv joint with the needle zerk requires periodic grease on the tranny end of the front drive shaft, more frequent when used in full time 4 wheel drive as is the case on the 392 and according to Adams. Also, the slip yoke requires grease every oil change (may be repeating myself, sorry). I talked to a local shop and they said they are using the tazer mini to put the 392 t-case in 2 hi to help alleviate the maintenance requirement for the aftermarket front drive shafts required when lifting these models.

AFdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Glad I read this. Installing my MC skids today. Got the Adam’s front 1350 and 3.5 GC on already.

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Adams 1350 front is a 2” non-greaseable CV
I talked to somebody at Adams this morning...he said the 1350 has a "flat zerk" on the u-joint that is at the transfer case which is the one partially covered by the MC transmission/transfer case skid plate...the other end at the diff may be non-greaseable....I would be interested if you have some other information...
Sponsored