Sponsored

Front doors look like they are pushed in?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
You guys are better than me if you can put that much torque into a bolt right next to freshly painted doors.

I can't get any of them to budge. They are really in there.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Take the doors off and hand them to your friend. Walk away with a smug look on your face.

Sluggo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon, 4 door, Auto, Blue, soft top
As a retired cover designer, we always referred to that shaping as “oil canning”. All our cover designs had a curved shape, to eliminate this. With a flat surface the surface can pop in, pop out or be flat. So, Jeeps are near flat, that’s just how it is.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
As a retired cover designer, we always referred to that shaping as “oil canning”. All our cover designs had a curved shape, to eliminate this. With a flat surface the surface can pop in, pop out or be flat. So, Jeeps are near flat, that’s just how it is.
Plus they’re aluminum, not steel like the JK. You’re going to have some non-mirror-like reflections.

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Plus they’re aluminum, not steel like the JK. You’re going to have some non-mirror-like reflections.
I was out on the proch watering and notice the same or similar issue around the hood hinges. Anyone else? I know our 2014 Escape had some waviness around the door handles since new - sometimes I think its just the way they are....

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Has anyone tried the suggestion to loosen the hinge bolts on the JL and re-tighten while the door is closed? If yes, did it help? Seems like a super quick and simple idea to test, especially if it worked on a JK.
No it didn't help, maybe made it worse...

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it didn't help, maybe made it worse...
YIKES! Ocean Blue here also, wonder if color makes it appear worse? I can tell you people notice that vehicle around town!

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I have a granite crystal JL and a couple people have told me that my front doors look like they are pushed in. The reflection makes it look like someone hit the car almost. I have looked at pictures online and some look similar while others look fine. Wondering if anyone else is noticing this and the door gives that look because of the new designs or if it is simply a design flaw, or if I got one that isn't right. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Dont worry. There are thousands that look like that. Including mine ;)

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
It happens, frankly. It’s a door made to be removed. They could make it thicker and more supported, but that defeats the purpose. So there will be some waviness. After a bit, I don’t even notice. But if you really dial down- it’s always there. I doubt my sidewalk is that wavy :)

989D9605-7345-4620-951D-512EBDCB8B95.jpeg

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
When my wife and I arrived at the dealer to decide between a Granite Crystal truck and a Billet Silver truck, both optioned exactly the same way, she immediately said the Granite Crystal door looked pressed in.

We now own a Billet Silver truck.

Not to give people one more thing to nit pick over... but some hoods have more pronounced vertical creasing on the sides from the stamping/shaping process. The same Granite Crystal Wrangler she said has the pressed door also have far more noticeable vertical striations on the sides of the hood.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone with this issue contacted Jeep dealer or Jeep cares, etc? I'm curious what their response was.

ryshla3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2019 Honda Civic LX 4DR
I've been an automobile damage appraiser for 22 years and I'll give you the answer to this problem with the sheetmetal on the outer door panels on the new JL's. They are constructed of aluminum alloy (mated with common magnesium as all industrial grade aluminum is). The use of aluminum sheetmetal in some autos, and even in some unibody structural parts of some cars, is ever increasing due to the demands of high fuel economy and the need for light weight vehicles. The new JL now has an aluminum hood, door outer panels, tailgate and fenders (flares are plastic, still). Everyone in the collision industry knows of the repairability issues with aluminum. While most shops are replace hounds and never bother to straighten a panel if fixable, if a tech does in fact try to straighten and work on an aluminum panel the way he would a mild or even a HSS (high strength steel) panel, we all know that its almost impossible to straighten an aluminum panel. The reason is this, aluminum does not have memory. Yes, memory. Believe it or not, steel has a certain memory to it. Once bent, (not demolished or crushed), but maybe a small bend/crease/kink/oil canned, etc., the mild or HSS wants to return to its original shape. It has memory and needs some manipulation, a la hammer and dolly, heat, uni-spotter and studs with pulling and the like. Aluminum on the other hand,........what a fiasco. It has no memory whatsoever and presents enormous repairability problems for body techs. You cannot heat aluminum, it will melt at 350-400 degrees, and most importantly, aluminum suffers from "work hardening", which is a term used to describe the fact that aluminum "only bends once". What this means in the collision industry is that once aluminum is bent, distorted or crushed in an impact, the metal itself will harden due to it being worked. If a tech tries to bend the aluminum again, back to its original shape, the hardness of the aluminum due to the first bend will cause the aluminum to become hard and brittle and the aluminum will most likely crack during the repair process.

What does the mean for the outer door panels on the new JL? (Sorry for the technically correct terms for parts, but after 22yrs in the business I can't help but use them instead of slang :) ). Well unlike just about every other vehicle out there, the jeep has always had its' door hinges mounted on the exterior of the outer door panel. What I believe tends to happen is, people over zeliously open the doors and they can swing out to far and rather abruptly and end up putting enormous pressure on the outer door panels and the panels themselves flex and bend. The aluminum substrate of the doors on the new JL do not help in this matter. The metal bends slightly, (remember its not a tremendous amount of pressure) but enough to work that metal into a pressure buckle. Not to say the least of the fact that the metal suffers from pressure during the manufacturing process of drilling bolts through the hinge into the outside of the door. Take a look at the inside of any aluminum door with anything bolted through it and you will probably see small stress buckles.

StuntmanMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Volvo XC70, 2000 Firebird Formula
I was next to a Granite JLU on the way to work this morning, and yeah, I noticed the doors looked super wavy.

It's one of those "It's a Jeep thing!" things.
Sponsored