Sponsored

Front doors look like they are pushed in?

PatsFan91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I have a granite crystal JL and a couple people have told me that my front doors look like they are pushed in. The reflection makes it look like someone hit the car almost. I have looked at pictures online and some look similar while others look fine. Wondering if anyone else is noticing this and the door gives that look because of the new designs or if it is simply a design flaw, or if I got one that isn't right. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Sponsored

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
A friend mentioned this to me about a Jeep he'd seen and mine looks that way too. I think its the design of the sheet metal that gives that impression.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
With the doors closed loosen the bolts on the door hinges enough to relieve the tension in the sheet metal, then retighten.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
With the doors closed loosen the bolts on the door hinges enough to relieve the tension in the sheet metal, then retighten.
I'm not seeing it. How do the internal backing plates work inside the door? If they don't move you'll end up with the same thing once you torque them back down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PatsFan91

PatsFan91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Does that actually work?
I'm not seeing it. How do the internal backing plates work inside the door? If they don't move you'll end up with the same thing once you torque them back down.
Yes, I agree. Once you retighten the bolts, you will end up with the same tension. If that is what is causing that indent look.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Does that actually work?

Yes, I agree. Once you retighten the bolts, you will end up with the same tension. If that is what is causing that indent look.
Then don't do it. Or pay the dealer to do it. Worked on my jk's

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Does that actually work?

I can see how it would work... It's not actually squeezing the door skin, It is more like the outer end of the hinge bracket is forcing the door skin slightly beyond 90 degrees because it was probably assembled off of the body. Loosening the hinge bolts will relieve the tension and allow the two surfaces to move to a neutral tension. Then tighten.

crazyone77

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
My JK was throwing same, noticed it at about 100 miles and dealer tried to work it out and ended up replacing the door and paint new door was a little better .

Look at most new vehicles and touch will see some wazyness on panels. My '17 f150 has similar stuff.

Sponsored

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
I had this issue on a brand new 2018 JK Sport with a Freedom hard top. The driver door skin looked pushed.

It went away after a few weeks without any intervention.

Edit: I did remove the Freedom panels and noticed it took less force to close the door. This may have helped.

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone tried the suggestion to loosen the hinge bolts on the JL and re-tighten while the door is closed? If yes, did it help? Seems like a super quick and simple idea to test, especially if it worked on a JK.

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I havent but I also have thesame color and thought someone hit me one day. I was pissed. then I got close and realized my door was just fine. I will try the loosen thing this weekend or tonight.