Front door skins popping and separating

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Does anyone else have the front doors popping and coming apart. The door skin is definitely coming apart right where the new door closure is mounted.
Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Does anyone else have the front doors popping and coming apart. The door skin is definitely coming apart right where the new door closure is mounted.

A picture might help some to understand what youā€™re talking about....

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Yeah a pic may help. My 2018 door skins look the same, inside around the seam and out, as the day I brought it home.

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
So there is no way to show you whats going on, the doors on the jl have a spring loaded door mechanism that assists in closing the door like a regular vehicle. This mechanism is mounted to the door internally with 2 nuts and externally mounted to the tub door frame with the single bolt you remove when the doors come off. The crinkling or popping sound is coming from the internal door where the mechanism bolts to the door itself. When you open or close the door the different layers of the door since its actually skinned with aluminum over another material is separating and causing the noise I am trying to explain.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
So there is no way to show you whats going on, the doors on the jl have a spring loaded door mechanism that assists in closing the door like a regular vehicle. This mechanism is mounted to the door internally with 2 nuts and externally mounted to the tub door frame with the single bolt you remove when the doors come off. The crinkling or popping sound is coming from the internal door where the mechanism bolts to the door itself. When you open or close the door the different layers of the door since its actually skinned with aluminum over another material is separating and causing the noise I am trying to explain.
Iā€™ve actually heard a noise on my 2021 that sounds very similar to what youā€™re describing. I notice it the most when washing the Jeep and pressing against the outside if the door.

Seems like itā€™s not hurting anything, so Iā€™ve learned to ignore it.

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Yep, but ours is getting worst and worst. Probably have the dealer look at it when they are replacing the screen

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I had the popping noise - pulled the mirror and soaked the door cavity with silicon spray. The noise has since disappeared and not come back...,

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yep, but ours is getting worst and worst. Probably have the dealer look at it when they are replacing the screen
Hey, WranglerUnlimited2018. Is this concern still present? If so, we would be happy to discuss further. Send our team a private message with more detail.

Kate
Jeep Cares

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
This is a door manufacturing flaw. Nothing you can really do to fix it. There was a huge thread about it on here somewhere.

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Hey, WranglerUnlimited2018. Is this concern still present? If so, we would be happy to discuss further. Send our team a private message with more detail.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Yes it still is an issue. That would be awesome thanks.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes it still is an issue. That would be awesome thanks.
Sure thing, WranglerUnlimited2018. To get started, send us a private message with more details; including the date of the last time the dealer diagnosed this. We will keep an eye out for your reply.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Ended up taking the jeep to the dealer and they did some kind of recall on the door jams but it only helped the passenger door. The driver door was the same and the passenger door was a little quieter.
Sponsored