Sponsored

Front door check pin (for easy door removal)?

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Seems to me that a better way to facilitate removing the doors would be to have a removable pin in the door check (yellow arrow on attached photo). Has anyone tried this and/or is anyone aware of a drop-in replacement?

That said, managed without a door check in my YJ for decades....that's what the strap is for!

Jeep Wrangler JL Front door check pin (for easy door removal)? IMG_1995
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Eh, that one bolt is pretty easy to get out. Or you could just push the check in and live without it. You already did with the YJ.

Gregj

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
While we're at it... I took my doors off in June and recently put them back on for a road trip. The door check on the passenger's side got pushed in, and I can't pull it out far enough to get it screwed back in.

I don't want to scratch it, so I've been very gentle with it. Is there an easy way to pull it out with some force? Or am I better off stopping be the dealer and have them look at it? (sorry for hijacking the thread)

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I don’t remember who but someone on here suggested tie 550 cord to the bolt hole in the door check and thread the bolt in partway then wrap the cord around the bolt and gently open the door, reset the cord and open the door again until you can get the bolt installed.
Gregj

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Seems to me that a better way to facilitate removing the doors would be to have a removable pin in the door check (yellow arrow on attached photo).

Has anyone tried this and/or is anyone aware of a drop-in replacement?

Jeep Wrangler JL Front door check pin (for easy door removal)? IMG_1995
I'd recommend against configuring a removable pin here. The bracket in which the accompanying bolt is seated prevents retraction of the door check arm fully inside the door.

The door check on the passenger's side got pushed in, and I can't pull it out far enough to get it screwed back in.

I don't want to scratch it, so I've been very gentle with it. Is there an easy way to pull it out with some force?
Consider an inexpensive door check arm puller. It protects you and the vehicle when applying the sometimes-significant force required to extract the retracted check arm.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front door check pin (for easy door removal)? 1663264233461

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I like the idea of the plastic arm swinging into the paint instead of the metal bracket. Good idea.

Drill it out, measure it, hit mcmaster.com and there ya go.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
While we're at it... I took my doors off in June and recently put them back on for a road trip. The door check on the passenger's side got pushed in, and I can't pull it out far enough to get it screwed back in.

I don't want to scratch it, so I've been very gentle with it. Is there an easy way to pull it out with some force? Or am I better off stopping be the dealer and have them look at it? (sorry for hijacking the thread)
I just used a screwdriver through the hole and pulled on it. Once I got it out enough to get the bolt through it I screwed it in a few turns and opened the door. The check came all the way out and it was all good in the hood. The paracord trick would work fine as well.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I like the idea of the plastic arm swinging into the paint instead of the metal bracket. Good idea.
That's ferrous metal. Be careful what you pass off as a good idea. 😉

Jeep Wrangler JL Front door check pin (for easy door removal)? IMG_20220915_145018

Anotherwillsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUSS

found a video the other day. I’m hoping it’s this easy because I haven’t tried it yet.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Use a hardtop screw, it's long enough to get seated and pull the arm out.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
found a video the other day. I’m hoping it’s this easy because I haven’t tried it yet.
This is a good idea. I would change it up a bit and make a T-Handle out of dowel rod and tie it on the pulling end of the rope. You could make it shorter because then you wouldn't have to wrap it around your hand. I think I would also use paracord just to make it a little smaller. I'm going to try this later today when I get home from work.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This is a good idea. I would change it up a bit and make a T-Handle out of dowel rod and tie it on the pulling end of the rope. You could make it shorter because then you wouldn't have to wrap it around your hand. I think I would also use paracord just to make it a little smaller. I'm going to try this later today when I get home from work.
Put the door on. Grab a hard top screw, it's same diameter as door check screw but longer. You can get it screwed in with door check in door. Screw it in a couple of turns then open the door. It will pull the check out. Remove screw and replace with proper door screw.

Anotherwillsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUSS
That’s what I did I grabbed a paintbrush (for lack of a dowel rod) and used it as a T handle. Had the doors on a lot quicker than I got them off.
Sponsored