KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
banged up the front diff bolts last week while playing around in the mountains in Colorado and I’ve been looking at front diff cover with recessed bolts. The only ones I have found are the AEV and ARB. The Dynatrack one has fins that look like they would “protect” the bolts from getting mashed again. I’m leaning towards the ARB cover at the moment.
I know a front diff skid is what a lot of people do to also protect the stupid drain plug on the bottom of the diff but I don’t want to go that route. I am going to recess the drain plug so that won’t be an issue.
My biggest concern is clearance of the track bar when/if I eventually put a lift on and replace the track bar. I know there has been some issues with the YETI and the ARB cover but I’ve been leaning towards replacing it with the synergy.
Any other issues with any of these covers? Any real world feedback on these covers? Any issues with other track bars and the ARB? any issues at stock height on a Rubi with the arb and synergy track bar?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of those who found out the hard way, that the Yeti track bar and ARB front diff cover don't play well together. I opted to switch out the track bar with a Metalcloak one.

Just a heads up. Synergy has been having front track bar issues lately.

I chose the Metalcloak track bar, not just for their great reputation and high quality parts, but also because they use a solid high grade bar stock. This allows the outer diameter of the track bar to be smaller, which will better clear a chunky diff cover than a tube design.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
KansasJL

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What has been the issue with the synergy track bar? I know their sector shaft brace has been a huge pain for anybody that has installed it.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What has been the issue with the synergy track bar? I know their sector shaft brace has been a huge pain for anybody that has installed it.
Unless you have more than 3.5" lift, some of them are making contact with the axle side track bar mount. Significant contact that I think even restricts the torque spec on the track bar bolt at ride height. They were supposed to be re-designing the axle end forging but to my knowledge that hasn't come out yet.

I've now had 4 aftermarket track bars. Which is kind of ridiculous. I feel like a product tester, except that I have to pay for my own parts. The Metalcloak track bar is so far my favorite. I didn't order originally, because at the time they didn't have their rear out yet and I wanted everything to match (OCD). Also, I was worried or lazy and didn't want to widen the hole on the axel side mount to allow clearance for the forged housing. After doing it, not a big deal, although a little messy and time consuming. Also, my YETI track bar was also having clearance issues with the same mount opening, so needed to be done either way.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
To your original question... I originally did the motobilt diff covers, which do not have recessed bolts. I haven't had an issue yet, but will likely switch to either the Metalcloak covers, that are recessed. Or the Dana Spicer covers, that although not recessed, are protected by the raised spines on the cast cover.

OP
OP
KansasJL

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up with the synergy track bar. Looks like the metalcloak might be the way to go. I will just have to paint it black. I’m not a huge fan of the color of the zinc plating. The Yeti bar is a huge and I’m just not sold on the design with the adjustment in the middle of the bar. It just looks “messy”. I am just particular and have a little OCD as well.
I was messing around on the Artec site the other day and noticed that they had diff covers that look pretty close to the Motobuilt ones and looked like it had recessed bolts.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have an RK front track bar, Metalcloak diff covers, 2.5" lift and have no interference with diff cover/track bar setup.

If an RK track bar didn't come in my lift kit, I would've gone with the Metalcloak track bar due to what @Headbarcode described.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an RK front track bar, Metalcloak diff covers, 2.5" lift and have no interference with diff cover/track bar setup.

If an RK track bar didn't come in my lift kit, I would've gone with the Metalcloak track bar due to what @Headbarcode described.
Nice! Rock Krawler and Metalcloak are the 2 top shelf brands, in my humble opinion.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Rock Krawler and Metalcloak are the 2 top shelf brands, in my humble opinion.
Me too. Clayton's a very close third.

I'm seriously thinking of removing the RK 2.5" from my 2018 and replacing with the MC GC 3.5" and putting the RK on my 2019. The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense. The wife is not as understanding though!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Me too. Clayton's a very close third.

I'm seriously thinking of removing the RK 2.5" from my 2018 and replacing with the MC GC 3.5" and putting the RK on my 2019. The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense. The wife is not as understanding though!
Recycling is very cost conscientious. ;)

What model is the 2019? Is it currently stock?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Recycling is very cost conscientious. ;)

What model is the 2019? Is it currently stock?
It's a JLUR, Mojito, and is stock except for the addition of the Mopar LCA's. It's almost exactly the same as my 2018 JLUR, except the 19 has leather seats.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's a JLUR, Mojito, and is stock except for the addition of the Mopar LCA's. It's almost exactly the same as my 2018 JLUR, except the 19 has leather seats.
I'm interested in hearing about what you decide on. Its rare to see a direct comparison of 2 high quality setups from the same Jeep and persons perspective. Will keep an eye out.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The only issue is having to paint them yourself. Not a big deal to do, and lets you choose your color, but for some of the mall crawling snowflakes on here it is too much.
Sponsored