Front camera option worth it?

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Funny thing is here in Australia the trail cam comes with the steel front bar, it's the only way to get it as it is a requirement with the steel bar as it has no parking sensors and the camera is the replacement for this. So far I've only used it for parking in front of the garage. Pic below was checking to see if the lightbar would block any vision.

20210402_125130.jpg
Advertisement

Living Good 357

First Name
Big D
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, 07 Dodge Cummins, 900 HP 72 Nova
The Jeep salesman wasn't sure if I could add the front camera as a stand-alone option, he wanted me to order the complete safety Advanced group, which I did not want that automatic braking and all the sensors. Thanks for your help

Hogdreamer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Liberty, 2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
When you add the integrated off road front camera option, the ordering system will automatically add:

1.) 8.4" screen
2.) Alpine sound system
3.) LED lighting package
They are excellent at transferring money from your account into their account.
I can understand the 8.4" screen since the camera picture is shown on that. The Alpine sound automatically comes with the 8.4" screen package so you get it whether you want it or not.

Not sure why the LED lighting package is required but maybe it includes the wiring for the front camera?

Not really a problem in my case though, I would have ordered the other options anyway. And I really like the front camera and expect to love it when I get to use it on the trail, not just my garage.

Hogdreamer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Jeep salesman wasn't sure if I could add the front camera as a stand-alone option, he wanted me to order the complete safety Advanced group, which I did not want that automatic braking and all the sensors. Thanks for your help
It's ordered as the "Integrated Off-Road Camera". It is an option unto itself but will automatically add the 8.4" Radio (with Alpine Sound) and the LED lighting.

No safety packages are required for ordering the front camera.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Not sure why the LED lighting package is required but maybe it includes the wiring for the front camera?
I suppose it has to do with deproliferation of wiring harnesses (part numbers) at Toledo.

Hogdreamer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose it has to do with deproliferation of wiring harnesses (part numbers) at Toledo.
Deproliferation: An approach to preventing nuclear terrorism.

I'm confused as what a wiring harness has to do with nuclear terrorism?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Deproliferation: An approach to preventing nuclear terrorism.

I'm confused as what a wiring harness has to do with nuclear terrorism?

Definition: Supply Chain Management Trends, Supply Base Deproliferation, Long Term Contracts, Outsourcing

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
I don’t have this but from what you’ve seen here, the camera is mounted on the grill and points downward. I would get the Jeep option so the picture comes through the dash screen, although only if you have the 8”. Below that, it may be too small as are some of the aftermarkets, although I have bad eyes. From what I’ve looked at, it’s impossible or difficult and expensive to get an aftermarket to show up on the Jeep dash screen. But I have never tried.

Advertisement

Dwayne Lane's Chrysler Jeep Dodge

Advertisement