Front Bumper Skid Plates: Pros vs Cons

_tarabusaw

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Planning to get Rebel Offroad Summit Series Front Bumper but undecided if I need to get the skid plate. I plan to do some mod to hard rock crawling. Someone mentioned that the skid plate reduce approach angle/clearance. On the other hand the skid plate protects the Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect and other components. So what are your thoughts on this?
Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
The skid plates may reduce approach angle/clearance a bit, but not very much. It's cheaper to touch up a skid plate than it is to repaire/replace the Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
The Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect system does reduce your approach angle quite a bit. Can be frustrating on some waterfall / ledge climbs.

I do not have the ESB on my Wrangler.

I utilize a Sport swaybar with JKS manual disconnects.
One could install a Rockjock Antirock front swaybar.. To get the best approach angle without shorting the front frame horns, I also installed an Ultra Clearance GenRight aluminum front bumper.

Note: To utilize this bumper, the frame supports for the front skid plate will need to be removed or trimmed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Bumper Skid Plates: Pros vs Cons 1653018180215

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Get the skid plate, If it contacts, it just skids. If you contact the ESBD it just bends or brakes.

DZLRBCN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel JL
The Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect system does reduce your approach angle quite a bit. Can be frustrating on some waterfall / ledge climbs.

I do not have the ESB on my Wrangler.

I utilize a Sport swaybar with JKS manual disconnects.
One could install a Rockjock Antirock front swaybar.. To get the best approach angle without shorting the front frame horns, I also installed an Ultra Clearance GenRight aluminum front bumper.

Note: To utilize this bumper, the frame supports for the front skid plate will need to be removed or trimmed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Bumper Skid Plates: Pros vs Cons 1653018180215
Looks like you could notch the bottom of the Ultra clearance and keep the crash bars for an aftermarket disco skid like from M.O.R.E. https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/skid-plates/products/jlfsp18-jeep-jl-front-skid-plate This is the best looking front bumper for the JL, the full stubby they offer looks too boxy for me. A black skid below this would almost dissapear.
Sponsored