Sponsored

Front Bumper removal issues. Any advise appreciated.

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
So today I figured I would install the Warn D ring adaptor kit and change out the tow hooks to my new powder coated ones. Removed all bolts and bumper wouldn't budge so used a screwdriver to pry it off. The bracket the bolts go into are crooked and almost impossible to get back in. This is a pick of what I'm talking about. Looks like there's side bolts that possibly could adjust this or should they be drilled out? I ran out of light so have to finish tomorrow. Any advise would be appreciated. Also watched a few videos on how to remove steel bumper tow hooks and they look nothing like mine. If I'm guessing correctly have to remove a ton of screws. Has anyone done this to a 21 steel front bumper that can offer any advise? Would be appreciated.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front Bumper removal issues. Any advise appreciated. 20211020_184410
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I did have to ream out one of the holes on each side to get my front bumper to go on. IIRC I just hit it with one size on a step bit.

OP
OP
WOwen

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did have to ream out one of the holes on each side to get my front bumper to go on. IIRC I just hit it with one size on a step bit.
Okay I appreciate it man. Figured would have to do that but was curious if anyone else had these issues. Know anything about removing the front tow hooks on a steel bumper? Lol. Can't find a video on one that looks like mine.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Okay I appreciate it man. Figured would have to do that but was curious if anyone else had these issues. Know anything about removing the front tow hooks on a steel bumper? Lol. Can't find a video on one that looks like mine.
I had plastic stock, but they came out when I disassembled the bumper to get the fogs out.

OP
OP
WOwen

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had plastic stock, but they came out when I disassembled the bumper to get the fogs out.
Okay thanks again. Tomorrow in the light I'll take some pics and ask.

Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Know anything about removing the front tow hooks on a steel bumper? Lol. Can't find a video on one that looks like mine.
Remove bumper from frame, remove end caps, start taking out the bolts that hold the inner shell to the outer. Eventually you'll see what needs to be unbolted to remove the hooks. I just did this last week to swap from red to Hydro blue hooks. Did my rear hook too.

20211015_164730.jpg

20211015_164720.jpg

20211015_164701.jpg

OP
OP
WOwen

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remove bumper from frame, remove end caps, start taking out the bolts that hold the inner shell to the outer. Eventually you'll see what needs to be unbolted to remove the hooks. I just did this last week to swap from red to Hydro blue hooks. Did my rear hook too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Bumper removal issues. Any advise appreciated. 20211015_164701

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Bumper removal issues. Any advise appreciated. 20211015_164701

Okay cool. Thanks man. Yes I bought a used set and had them Powder coated as well. Front and back. Yours looks solid!

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I can see the side brackets interfering with the front frame mounting surface bolt holes (mainly bottom bolt holes). This is somewhat normal, as I noticed the same thing when re-installing my bumper. I was able to jiggle the bumper bolts back in the hole however with little effort.

Try removing those side brackets, slide the bumper back on, then add the brackets back. Try this before reaming out any holes.

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I can see the side brackets interfering with the front frame mounting surface bolt holes (mainly bottom bolt holes). This is somewhat normal, as I noticed the same thing when re-installing my bumper. I was able to jiggle the bumper bolts back in the hole however with little effort.

Try removing those side brackets, slide the bumper back on, then add the brackets back. Try this before reaming out any holes.
This

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Good call, I didn't see those were still on when I was looking on my phone last night. Looks like that may be the culprit here.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
When I replaced my plastic bumper on my 19 JLUR I had to open up a couple holes to get my Motobilt bumper to line up. No big deal. As other poster said, used a step bit and then a little rattle can.

OP
OP
WOwen

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for help everyone. Working on it now.
Sponsored