Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I stuck with the mopar steel front bumper because I personally find that it fits the overall look of the Jeep very nicely, especially in stubby mode. It made a great foundation for a recessed winch, aux lighting, and a bull bar.

I ditched the factory rear steel bumper before it had the chance to damage the body. I not only wanted strength to not flex when getting dragged or being hit by the ledge of a drop-off, but also a lower profile extending back and hanging down. The Cavfab Ultra Clearance rear bumper ended up rising to the top of a very short list. They show up in bare steel, so it's up to the end user to have them coated, so I had mine finished in the same lightly textured black powder coat to match the mopar steel front bumper. I wanted just enough structure to protect the body, but they have a slew of other options with varying degrees of size and coverage. I highly recommend their products, as I also have their hinged tailgate reinforcement. Great company out of Georgia, USA!

20201218_153932.jpg
20201223_135240_resized.jpg
Have you checked out the rear fascia protection from Rusty's? Covers what the Cavfab misses, but I do like their bumpers.
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rusty-s-rear-fascia-cover-kit-jl-wrangler.html
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked out the rear fascia protection from Rusty's? Covers what the Cavfab misses, but I do like their bumpers.
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rusty-s-rear-fascia-cover-kit-jl-wrangler.html
Yeah, I've seen it. JL Life did a great video about installing it. I agree with his thoughts about it, that it would be nice if it were one continuous piece all the way across the back. I'm holding out for a company to release a 1-piece rear fascia. I'm surprised that Next Venture Motorsports hasn't answered that call.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’ve been very happy with my LOD Destroyer Shorty bumper up front. It is well built and I have had no issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions ABA8B6D2-94C9-45AD-AB77-F4858A9486B5

I have a Warn rear bumper with tire carrier for the rear. Though I like the tire carrier, I have found the bumper to be too big and heavy. I have also found that the quality is not close to LOD. if I had it to do over, I might look at the JCR rear bumper with tire carrier.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Yeah, I've seen it. JL Life did a great video about installing it. I agree with his thoughts about it, that it would be nice if it were one continuous piece all the way across the back. I'm holding out for a company to release a 1-piece rear fascia. I'm surprised that Next Venture Motorsports hasn't answered that call.
Part of me thinks they did the multi-piece design so that a hit on one side does not transfer damage to another, but maybe it was just laziness 🤷‍♂️

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm going with AEV bumpers (whenever my JLURD finally arrives). I'm not aware of anyone else using Boron steel for bumpers. It's incredibly strong as well as light, but not inexpensive. The winch is recessed and it's set up for killer lights.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hFWCdEFfHZ8wbbhV7

Sponsored

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
I chose the Rugged Ridge Arcus. Straight forward install, didn’t even need to call out the BFH. Quadratec winch fit easy and I can still pull off the grill if needed without having to move the winch. I’m sure it’s not as strong as the welded steel offerings because it is stamped steel, but I liked the fact that it is lighter.

The fog lights are Diode Dynamics SS3 and they mounted up with no issue. I ran the factory fog lights before switching to the SS3’s. The Rigid 360 driving lights were mounted by drilling through the top of the bumper with a step bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions ABA8B6D2-94C9-45AD-AB77-F4858A9486B5
That is a nice setup and I like the amber fog lights!

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have the rugged ridge Arcus and besides the reasons stated above for it, I like that with the winch tucked away, it blocks the UV light away from my synthetic winch rope.

As far as aluminum goes. M&P concepts makes a aluminum Mopar style bumper.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/mp-c...-forged-aluminum-front-bumper-j134510-jl.html
The UV rays on the rope is something I never thought about. That combined with the fact I am getting a diesel (think air flow) I think going recessed would be my best option.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I suggest you go with a recessed winch for the diesel.

The diesel motor already has a small cooling system (compared to the Ram) because of the Jeep grill design, no need to try and restrict airflow even more.
You don't have to worry about the diesel overheating. Its well documented it doesn't get hot at all. That's why guys cover grills in the winter.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I stuck with the mopar steel front bumper because I personally find that it fits the overall look of the Jeep very nicely, especially in stubby mode. It made a great foundation for a recessed winch, aux lighting, and a bull bar.

I ditched the factory rear steel bumper before it had the chance to damage the body. I not only wanted strength to not flex when getting dragged or being hit by the ledge of a drop-off, but also a lower profile extending back and hanging down. The Cavfab Ultra Clearance rear bumper ended up rising to the top of a very short list. They show up in bare steel, so it's up to the end user to have them coated, so I had mine finished in the same lightly textured black powder coat to match the mopar steel front bumper. I wanted just enough structure to protect the body, but they have a slew of other options with varying degrees of size and coverage. I highly recommend their products, as I also have their hinged tailgate reinforcement. Great company out of Georgia, USA!

20211013_132712_resized.jpg
20201206_160941.jpg
20201218_153932.jpg
20201223_135240_resized.jpg
20201223_135529.jpg
I'll admit I do like the look of the MOPAR front bumper. I didn't order it with my Jeep because of how crappy the rear bumper is. Going with the MOPAR front is still on the short list. I really like the CAVFAB Ultra Clearance rear bumper a lot. Seeing it on the Tube of You convinced me it will resist flexing into the body more than most other bumpers.

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You don't have to worry about the diesel overheating. Its well documented it doesn't get hot at all. That's why guys cover grills in the winter.
There are many, many cases of JL diesels overheating under load. It basically goes into limp home mode. It seems to be associated with altitude. Yes, I've ordered a diesel and plan on overlanding with it. And yes, I'm gambling since Denver is considered extremely low to us.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
There are many, many cases of JL diesels overheating under load. It basically goes into limp home mode. It seems to be associated with altitude. Yes, I've ordered a diesel and plan on overlanding with it. And yes, I'm gambling since Denver is considered extremely low to us.
I think he was being facetious! :)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for general opinions (pros and cons) which is why I didn't list this under the exterior mods section. I am not looking for any "how-tos."

I like aftermarket stubby bumpers with cutouts for round fog lights. I like the MOPAR version too but the aftermarket versions seems to have better approach clearances. I also like the clean look of recessed winches.

I am not against top mounted winches either. I also don't think that top mounted winches really restrict that much air flow, but it is just an opinion based on nothing. Top mounted winches would seem to be easier to work on if it broke.

My JULRD that I ordered is coming with plastic bumpers, and swapping them out will probably be one of my first three upgrades. Any opinions are appreciated from technical to aesthetics. My only real bumper criteria is that the rear bumper doesn't flex into the body and that they are made in the USA. (Picture for Attention)

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 8.32.57 AM.png
I’m wrapped all the way around with LoD.
Great USA company,
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 3EDFFA07-B438-4052-A383-BC84F4F4FCF3
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 6A99DE3A-333D-477C-A5AC-DFD2DF872F55

I have only one issue with them, that’s their packaging, but I found an easy way around that…….:) …..

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 52EA9CFF-0B9C-4A0C-AC03-83281CB43763

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions B6BB9C97-2BFE-446B-B4F2-89D100BAC03F

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Part of me thinks they did the multi-piece design so that a hit on one side does not transfer damage to another, but maybe it was just laziness 🤷‍♂️
My personal thoughts about the rear fascia, is that it's most functional benefit is protecting the body from the flimsy factory steel bumper. With a bumper like mine, that won't flex from an upward hit, the fascia is more of an aesthetic enhancer for the portion of the body that gets exposed when the rear fender to bumper plastic filler panels are removed after a fender chop. Similar to how an aftermarket front diff cover goes from protection to looks when a front diff skid is added. Again, just my thoughts.

And yeah, I can see what your thinking as far as a 2-piece fascia being less likely to transfer a pulling damage to the opposite side of a hit.
Sponsored