Sponsored

Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
I suggest you go with a recessed winch for the diesel.

The diesel motor already has a small cooling system (compared to the Ram) because of the Jeep grill design, no need to try and restrict airflow even more.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Theyre are so many. Mine is Fishbone stubby. Love it, uses stock fogs and firmly winch great.
Doesn't meet your requirement of where it's made though.
Hey as long as its not made in China I will consider it. I'm all about buying from Taiwan. I just prefer to help out American businesses, but if they don't offer what I want then I am all about the Globalism sans China.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hey as long as its not made in China I will consider it. I'm all about buying from Taiwan. I just prefer to help out American businesses, but if they don't offer what I want then I am all about the Globalism sans China.
I'm Canadian and like 90% of the options to get US shit shipped here costs me a first born, my favourite toque and a large poutine. I'm not picky as long as build quality is there. For instance, I bought a Rough Country plate relocate for the rear. POS that started corroding as soon as I started installing it I think. Swapped it out and was able to get a used Motobilt one which is awesome. Most builders use UPS which absolutely screws us for shopping fees though. Motobilt included and I was happy to buy from another member.

Fishbone is based in the US but I think made in China. Build quality is very good, along with the coating. I'm very happy with it halfway through a Canadian winter. Had it on since March with zero corrosion issues.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm Canadian and like 90% of the options to get US shit shipped here costs me a first born, my favourite toque and a large poutine. I'm not picky as long as build quality is there. For instance, I bought a Rough Country plate relocate for the rear. POS that started corroding as soon as I started installing it I think. Swapped it out and was able to get a used Motobilt one which is awesome. Most builders use UPS which absolutely screws us for shopping fees though. Motobilt included and I was happy to buy from another member.

Fishbone is based in the US but I think made in China. Build quality is very good, along with the coating. I'm very happy with it halfway through a Canadian winter. Had it on since March with zero corrosion issues.
I am a CNC machine shop owner, and I have sent to Canada a few times. I never have understood why it cost so much for us to trade with each other. I get it your a different country, but come on! It not like your Germans! (They make good crap BTW.)

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I am a CNC machine shop owner, and I have sent to Canada a few times. I never have understood why it cost so much for us to trade with each other. I get it your a different country, but come on! It not like your Germans! (They make good crap BTW.)
Lol. It's more the carriers than the Free Trade Agreement. It's basically legal theft that they wrote off because the driver needs to declare or some shit. Thankfully I love close to the border so in the past I have zipped down and declared. Sometimes they will wave me through, other time I have to pay duty. I'm ok with duty, it's the 20% or more "brokerage" that I have an issue with.

Anyway, good luck in the bumper search. Depending on where you live, make sure you take the coating into consideration as well. Unless you don't mind pulling it every year and recoating.

It was a lot easier with the JK when it first came out. There was like 5 you could choose from. Lol. Now? So. So many.

Sponsored

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
So hard to find a good aluminum stubby or mid-length, with recessed winch mount, and fog cut-outs. Maybe I am asking too much.
Yep. I decided that aluminum and recessed winch mounts were the most important to me. I just installed some very nice Stedi lights that I hooked directly up to the existing fog light circuit.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Had a RR Arcus on my ‘19 Sport and went with a TACTIK Stubby for my ’21 Rubi. Pleased with both.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions A46D261B-1806-4230-B787-8AFCC2C820FB

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'd check out ADD for bumpers. The stubby stealth fighter is mean looking.... I think their fog lights aren't round, but I'd still give them a peek!
Just a heads up about the ADD bumpers. Because of the stylistic cutouts, the structure is weakened and there's already been a couple of members who had rear tub damage similar to what the factory steel bumper causes when hit from below.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I bought a Warn Crawler stuffy for the front and run the stock bumper in the rear. The Warn has round cut-outs for the stock fogs and a couple mounts on top for additional lights. It looks good and was easy to install.

Andrews jl

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU, 15 Willy’s, Tesla x., Tesla 3, BMW x2
Occupation
It’s Miller time!
I am looking for general opinions (pros and cons) which is why I didn't list this under the exterior mods section. I am not looking for any "how-tos."

I like aftermarket stubby bumpers with cutouts for round fog lights. I like the MOPAR version too but the aftermarket versions seems to have better approach clearances. I also like the clean look of recessed winches.

I am not against top mounted winches either. I also don't think that top mounted winches really restrict that much air flow, but it is just an opinion based on nothing. Top mounted winches would seem to be easier to work on if it broke.

My JULRD that I ordered is coming with plastic bumpers, and swapping them out will probably be one of my first three upgrades. Any opinions are appreciated from technical to aesthetics. My only real bumper criteria is that the rear bumper doesn't flex into the body and that they are made in the USA. (Picture for Attention)

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions A46D261B-1806-4230-B787-8AFCC2C820FB
I have the Fab Four stubby…top mount winch. But it’s perfect!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I stuck with the mopar steel front bumper because I personally find that it fits the overall look of the Jeep very nicely, especially in stubby mode. It made a great foundation for a recessed winch, aux lighting, and a bull bar.

I ditched the factory rear steel bumper before it had the chance to damage the body. I not only wanted strength to not flex when getting dragged or being hit by the ledge of a drop-off, but also a lower profile extending back and hanging down. The Cavfab Ultra Clearance rear bumper ended up rising to the top of a very short list. They show up in bare steel, so it's up to the end user to have them coated, so I had mine finished in the same lightly textured black powder coat to match the mopar steel front bumper. I wanted just enough structure to protect the body, but they have a slew of other options with varying degrees of size and coverage. I highly recommend their products, as I also have their hinged tailgate reinforcement. Great company out of Georgia, USA!

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 20211013_132712_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 20201206_160941
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 20201218_153932
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 20201223_135240_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 20201223_135529

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have a RockHard Patriot Aluminum Mid Length on order with bull bar deleted. Reasons...

1. Will tow my JLR, no tow bar needed
2. Weight very important
3. Recessed winch to maximize airflow
4. Recessed winch for security
5. Winch will not obstruct front cam view
6. Made in USA

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90248.htm

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Just a heads up about the ADD bumpers. Because of the stylistic cutouts, the structure is weakened and there's already been a couple of members who had rear tub damage similar to what the factory steel bumper causes when hit from below.
Nice to know... I had not heard this....but I'm no stubby fan.... I like the extra wheel protection from a full bumper.... I am an ADD fan so more knowledge for me! Thx!
Sponsored