CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Hi All,
Anyone else have their factory brake replaced at 40 000 KM (approx 25 000miles)? Dealer said it's down to 35%... and they want a little over $700 for new brakes/pads and rotors.

I just feel it's premature wear on them? I don't go hard of the breaks as I have the 6speed manual (JLUR).
Other aftermarket options that are worth the $ to upgrade to and last longer?
Or is this "deal" with this vehicle (as my prior JKU didn't wear this fast...?)

Thought's?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Oh Gawd! $700 for a break job, that’s wild. I haven’t payed for a break job ever. In high school my dad gave me (made me pay for it with hard labor) an El Camino, but he made me learn and do all the maintenance myself. Been doing my repairs ever since.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
So at 35% you still have about 20k km left on those brakes. $700 seems a bit steep and you should not need new rotors, especially if you still have 35% of your pad left now. Are there any grooves or discoloration on the rotors that suggest a problem?
I've read that the factory pads do wear out fast for some people (mostly due to wheeling), but when they switched to another brand of pad they get 60k miles out of them.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
So at 35% you still have about 20k km left on those brakes. $700 seems a bit steep and you should not need new rotors, especially if you still have 35% of your pad left now. Are there any grooves or discoloration on the rotors that suggest a problem?
I've read that the factory pads do wear out fast for some people (mostly due to wheeling), but when they switched to another brand of pad they get 60k miles out of them.
Looks like we were typing at the same time. I wonder if they use thinner pads from the factory to cut down on costs, wouldn't surprise me.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Hi All,
Anyone else have their factory brake replaced at 40 000 KM (approx 25 000miles)? Dealer said it's down to 35%... and they want a little over $700 for new brakes/pads and rotors.

I just feel it's premature wear on them? I don't go hard of the breaks as I have the 6speed manual (JLUR).
Other aftermarket options that are worth the $ to upgrade to and last longer?
Or is this "deal" with this vehicle (as my prior JKU didn't wear this fast...?)

Thought's?
Thanks!
Forget the dealer and go to a mechanic you trust. $700 for brakes is just ridiculous. Thing like these are the reason why I will be using my dealer for warranty and recall work only after the complimentary oil changes and tire rotations expire.

OP
OP
CRZYCDN

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Worth going up to ...if they see still less than OEM crap but better performance/life..?
Anyone have any experience with these?
Power Stop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow Brake Rotor and Pad Kit??

OP
OP
CRZYCDN

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
They said the inside of the rotors had a ridge/rusted.. but again not too impressed with the dealer.

I do not have the space to do them myself...or I would... decently handy mechanically...

Maybe I should wait till spring (probably do about 5-10k of driving between now and then.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
They said the inside of the rotors had a ridge/rusted.. but again not too impressed with the dealer.

I do not have the space to do them myself...or I would... decently handy mechanically...

Maybe I should wait till spring (probably do about 5-10k of driving between now and then.
Outside ridge is normal since the pad doesn't touch up there. As is rust on the ridge (it's iron). I'd check with a local muffler and brake chain like Firestone or Midas, or whatever you have up there. Either way with 35% left you're not in a hurry.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I understand you said you can’t do it yourself but just for reference, you can get your rotors turned at Orielys auto parts for I believe $8 each. This will correct the “ridge” that they are talking about and give you a nice new flat surface for a new set of pads. Then just swap pads. You can do that for easily less than $100 I’m sure. Might be worth finding a friends garage you can use to save the $$ then give him some of that money and still come out on top.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Pads at Rockauto.com are about $30 for the Power stop pads. I put new pads all the way around for $72 dollars after shipping. Changing the pads is about 10 minutes and all you need is a flat surface to jack the Jeep up on. Your Jeep comes with a jack and lug nut wrench. I believe the bolts that hold the caliper on are size 13mm. Two per caliper. I use a big flat head screw driver between the pad and the rotor to push the pistons back into the caliper before I remove the caliper. Pull off the caliper and replace the pads and reassemble. It may be one of the easiest maintenance things you can do to your Jeep.

Do NOT trust the dealer. My bud's daughter took her JLUR in as the bake brakes were making a sound. They wanted approx $700 dollars to fix it. She brought it out to the house, and I took a look at it and the passenger side caliper was sticking. The passenger side brakes were on metal, the driver side pads were at apporx 70% of thickness. It was obviously a caliper problem. I had her take photos of the both calipers and the difference in pad wear. Told her what to tell the dealer and showed her how to explain the photos. They then fixed it under warranty.

Do NOT trust the dealer.
Sponsored