Sponsored

Front Ball Joints. Let discuss what is the best replacement for the stock ball joints.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am at the 40,000+ mile mark and thinking about putting in better ball joints. My goal is to bullet proof the Jeep as much as possible and eliminate potential week spots that are caused from running bigger tires. I use my JLUR as drive to trail, trail rig and travel all over the US. I am always looking for ways to increase dependability and reliability.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am at the 40,000+ mile mark and thinking about putting in better ball joints. My goal is to bullet proof the Jeep as much as possible and eliminate potential week spots that are caused from running bigger tires. I use my JLUR as drive to trail, trail rig and travel all over the US. I am always looking for ways to increase dependability and reliability.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front Ball Joints.  Let discuss what is the best replacement for the stock ball joints. 4487E9DA-AE0B-44EB-ACAE-3D662EEC3A29

I have installed these on others Jeeps, but mine are on the shelf like a few other things. I have a habit of buying shit that Iā€™m gonna need and rat piling it until needed, lol. I guess itā€™s like a security blanket, lol. These days you never know how long itā€™ll take to get something shipped .......:facepalm:

I also recommend these if bomb proofing......

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/rj-301000-103

:)

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Iā€™m also interested in ball joint experience from others.
I know Dynatrac are good but the cost is a hard swallow. Anything else out there thatā€™s just as good?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m also interested in ball joint experience from others.
I know Dynatrac are good but the cost is a hard swallow. Anything else out there thatā€™s just as good?
Dynatracs are worth it to me for a few reasons. If youā€™re keeping your rig long term then youā€™ll never have to remove them, just rebuild them. The cost is 150.00 per side to rebuild, so cheaper than even oem replacement, and did I already mention you donā€™t have to press them out......šŸ˜

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Dynatrac and be done, yeah pricey but itā€™s worth it in the long run

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Dynatracs are worth it to me for a few reasons. If youā€™re keeping your rig long term then youā€™ll never have to remove them, just rebuild them. The cost is 150.00 per side to rebuild, so cheaper than even oem replacement, and did I already mention you donā€™t have to press them out......šŸ˜
Actually itā€™s even better. I just looked at their website and the $150 rebuild kit is for a total of 4 ball joints.

From the description of their rebuild kit:
ā€œEach HD Balljoint rebuild kit includes all the parts necessary to rebuild a set of 4 Dynatrac HD Balljoints (upper and lower on both right and left sides).

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Actually itā€™s even better. I just looked at their website and the $150 rebuild kit is for a total of 4 ball joints.

From the description of their rebuild kit:
ā€œEach HD Balljoint rebuild kit includes all the parts necessary to rebuild a set of 4 Dynatrac HD Balljoints (upper and lower on both right and left sides).
Sweet!!!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
You only have three real options, Dana HD, Factory Mopar, and Dynatrac. Dana are the least expensive and Dynatrac the most expensive. There is about a $200 difference between the two. Dynatrac are by far the best option for the extra $200

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
You only have three real options, Dana HD, Factory Mopar, and Dynatrac. Dana are the least expensive and Dynatrac the most expensive. There is about a $200 difference between the two. Dynatrac are by far the best option for the extra $200
Youā€™re right. I just noticed that Dynatrac sells them as a set of 4 and both others sell them as a set of 2.
Thanks! Thatā€™s actually not a hard swallow at all. šŸ‘

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I have put the Dynatrac ball joints in my Jeep and two of my buds Jeeps here recently. Wow, what an improvement. All three of out JLUR's ball joints were whipped. We all where all around 40,000 to 45,000 miles on our Jeeps. Pretty easy install. I did have to use a sawzaw and cut my ball joint shafts and then pound the stud out in the vice as I could not get them carrier to release from the ball joint stems.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky - do you know if these are the bushings that Dynatrac state need to be re-used?

Bushing - Mopar (68391549AA)

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
@Roky - do you know if these are the bushings that Dynatrac state need to be re-used?

Bushing - Mopar (68391549AA)
Yes those are the bushings you have to re use. If you have a camber issue at all you can get replacements with different offsets that will adjust for camber in .5 increments.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I have put the Dynatrac ball joints in my Jeep and two of my buds Jeeps here recently. Wow, what an improvement. All three of out JLUR's ball joints were whipped. We all where all around 40,000 to 45,000 miles on our Jeeps. Pretty easy install. I did have to use a sawzaw and cut my ball joint shafts and then pound the stud out in the vice as I could not get them carrier to release from the ball joint stems.
Out of curiosity...what "symptoms" if any did you notice with the bad ball joints? I'm thinking about swapping mine (chasing a steering shimmy) and I'm just not sure they're bad I guess.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Out of curiosity...what "symptoms" if any did you notice with the bad ball joints? I'm thinking about swapping mine (chasing a steering shimmy) and I'm just not sure they're bad I guess.
I have never had a steering issue until about 38,000 miles. It started with a steering shimmy, then graduated to death wobble.
Sponsored