Front axle upgrade.

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sport
I currently have a Unlimited sport and I’m looking to upgrade the front axle to a 44. Been looking at the Currie 44 vs the Prorock 44. Currie also makes a 60 that is $100 more than the 44. Trying to figure out which is the best route to go. If anybody has an opinion feel free to chime in. I would love to hear people’s opinion.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Why do you want or need to upgrade? Have you damaged or bent yours? The way you intend to use the Jeep will dictate which axle is best.

OP
OP

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you want or need to upgrade? Have you damaged or bent yours? The way you intend to use the Jeep will dictate which axle is best.
Right now I have a 2-1/2” Clayton kit with 35’s and anti rocks front and back. I try and get out to 6 to 7 rated trails. I’m fairly new to jeeping and have been stuck many times or turned around because of no lockers. Once these tires wear out I’ll be going 37’s. I’ve seen the Dana 30 buckle in a couple jeeps so far. I also want to get rid of the FAD. I do not want to get caught up and broken down in the middle of nowhere with a broken axle.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly! Fixing a major component on a relatively new Wrangler when it isn’t broken or even non functional doesn’t make sense.
I wouldn’t say fixing. More like upgrading. And I refuse to put any money into a Dana 30. That is just a waste.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Modify your M186 if you haven't damaged it yet.

Or get a Rubicon front axle. If you already have a 44 in the rear, just regear it to match the front. It doesn't matter that it would be slightly narrower.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I wouldn’t say fixing. More like upgrading. And I refuse to put any money into a Dana 30. That is just a waste.
Makes sense. I recall reading on here a couple who’d purchased a top of the line Rubicon. The first thing they did was upgrade to custom D60’s for both the front and rears - I think they went with Dynatrac. Expensive but very strong!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
They are both good axles. The Currie is a high pinion which suits high lift better, I believe they use reverse cut gears in those which can have their own drawbacks (but i'm not 100% sure they use those on their 44's) The Dynatrac has some built in caster which keeps driveline angles more manageable but has standard cut gears, not a high pinion. The drawback to both is that the 44's don't come with the outers, which means you are stuck using your factory outers and the crappy Sport brakes unless you upgrade those separately.

OP
OP

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are both good axles. The Currie is a high pinion which suits high lift better, I believe they use reverse cut gears in those which can have their own drawbacks (but i'm not 100% sure they use those on their 44's) The Dynatrac has some built in caster which keeps driveline angles more manageable but has standard cut gears, not a high pinion. The drawback to both is that the 44's don't come with the outers, which means you are stuck using your factory outers and the crappy Sport brakes unless you upgrade those separately.
Thanks for the feed back. I’m sure eventually I’ll upgrade both. Along with PSC steering kit.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Since you're only thinking of upgrading the front, if you go with the 60 your stock wheels won't fit. The Dana 60's use 8x6.5 lug pattern. So you'll have to run either different wheels on front vs rear (and carry two spares???) or upgrade the rear axle to match lug pattern.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Since you're only thinking of upgrading the front, if you go with the 60 your stock wheels won't fit. The Dana 60's use 8x6.5 lug pattern. So you'll have to run either different wheels on front vs rear (and carry two spares???) or upgrade the rear axle to match lug pattern.
You can order the Dynatracs with a Jeep lug pattern, im not sure about the Curries. But why weaken one of the strenghts of 60s. Thats not a trade off Id be willing to make myself.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can order the Dynatracs with a Jeep lug pattern, im not sure about the Curries. But why weaken one of the strenghts of 60s. Thats not a trade off Id be willing to make myself.
Yep I was wrong. I myself was looking to go to Dana 60's and was looking at the Northridge site. All of their offerings were with 8x6.5's. The Currie site does have D60's for $5,500, but the outer axle shafts are 32 spline so you can reuse the stock hub, knuckles, etc. Does seem to be too much of a trade off. If I'm going Dana 60's then I want the full strength version!

OP
OP

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep I was wrong. I myself was looking to go to Dana 60's and was looking at the Northridge site. All of their offerings were with 8x6.5's. The Currie site does have D60's for $5,500, but the outer axle shafts are 32 spline so you can reuse the stock hub, knuckles, etc. Does seem to be too much of a trade off. If I'm going Dana 60's then I want the full strength version!
I hear you. That’s what I originally wanted. Northridge around Christmas had the Dana 60’s combo with free KMC grenades. That’s a decent deal. That’s also 15 g’s with also having to get new driveshafts. Steering kit. It adds up quick. Not quite in my budget.
Sponsored