Sponsored

Front Axle Seal leaking, will a outer tube seal help?

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I have a seal leak on my front axle, driver's side. Its happened once before, and I had the seal replaced. Gear lube is coming out again, splattering in the wheel well an in the driveway. I've upgraded to RCV axles on the M210 (D44). This is the 2nd time its leaked, and I'm tired of dealing with it. I don't actually have the dust covers anymore, so there is nothing on the outside of the axle tube. Would it be a good idea to use these Tube seals? Would it help protect the seal, or simply prevent the lube from draining out once the seal goes bad?

Tube Seals for a Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Axle Seal leaking, will a outer tube seal help? 1628340185115
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Im confused. If youre getting a leak its from the inner axle shaft seal at the differential, you replaced that? @Motoristx

Last edited:

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
If you’ve replaced the inner axle seal and it is leaking again, you may have a bent housing. Do you have the axle trussed?

From what I can tell, the RCV seals are only for dirt going into the housing. They aren’t for keeping diff fluid from coming out.

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, I was confused with it myself. I haven't done too many axles, and my wrench turning days are winding down. I still want to get up in there and do some work and learn about what I have. I rewrote my original post now that I've looked at some diagrams.

Yes, Its a Rubicon D44, Trussed and gusseted.

I want to do 2 things: Protect the seal, as I do go through high water mud and beat on it occasionally. Also, prevent it from leaking in the future, as this will be the 3rd seal installed in the driver's side.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I was confused with it myself. I haven't done too many axles, and my wrench turning days are winding down. I still want to get up in there and do some work and learn about what I have. I rewrote my original post now that I've looked at some diagrams.

Yes, Its a Rubicon D44, Trussed and gusseted.

I want to do 2 things: Protect the seal, as I do go through high water mud and beat on it occasionally. Also, prevent it from leaking in the future, as this will be the 3rd seal installed in the driver's side.
Did it start leaking before or after the truss? Too much heat could have warped it

Sponsored

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It started leaking a few months after the truss, but I also had a ball joint wear out prematurely. Probably a result of wheeling with the 38's I had at the time. Only the Driver's side had a bad ball joint, and it started after the Holy Cross trail... where I ended up also breakng a bushing on the frame side of the trackbar.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have a seal leak on my front axle, driver's side. Its happened once before, and I had the seal replaced. Gear lube is coming out again, splattering in the wheel well an in the driveway. I've upgraded to RCV axles on the M210 (D44). This is the 2nd time its leaked, and I'm tired of dealing with it. I don't actually have the dust covers anymore, so there is nothing on the outside of the axle tube. Would it be a good idea to use these Tube seals? Would it help protect the seal, or simply prevent the lube from draining out once the seal goes bad?

Tube Seals for a Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Axle Seal leaking, will a outer tube seal help? 1628340185115

Spray some simple green into the tube and wash it out, it could be residual oil in there, it happened to me. Also check the diff fluid level, there might be a tad too much, check the vent tube, make sure it’s not obstructed

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
those shaft seals or really meant to keep mud and dirt out o the tubes rather than keep oil in, the inner axle seals can be damaged by the process of installing the axle shafts
Sponsored