Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just received my front and rear Rock Krawler track bars and I'm anxious to get them installed. I just had a Mopar 2 inch lift kit installed and wanted these to finish off the project.

Today I opened the rear track bar box to get the instructions. Since I see little difference in the setting for 1.5 and 2.5 inch lift, so I assume I can use the 2.5 inch specs with little difficulty.

However upon reading the torque values at the bottom of the page I recalled that ever since I was sent away from my home planet Krypton and placed in a home (and garage) lined with Kryptonite, I've realized that I may not be strong enough to torque a jam nut to 250-300 pounds.

Despite my joke about Superman, I'm unclear how I can get a nut that tight. Thoughts?

Final question. Is there any reason why I can't install these in my driveway?
Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I just received my front and rear Rock Krawler track bars and I'm anxious to get them installed. I just had a Mopar 2 inch lift kit installed and wanted these to finish off the project.

Today I opened the rear track bar box to get the instructions. Since I see little difference in the setting for 1.5 and 2.5 inch lift, so I assume I can use the 2.5 inch specs with little difficulty.

However upon reading the torque values at the bottom of the page I recalled that ever since I was sent away from my home planet Krypton and placed in a home (and garage) lined with Kryptonite, I've realized that I may not be strong enough to torque a jam nut to 250-300 pounds.

Despite my joke about Superman, I'm unclear how I can get a nut that tight. Thoughts?

Final question. Is there any reason why I can't install these in my driveway?
Putting the right amount of torque on those would require a high pressure torque wrench or a impact gun. I dont think you'll have any issues if you cant get it to specs.
The rock krawler bar could have tub fitment problems like I've had in the front axle side. You'll need super human strength to bend it open. Otherwise it's a straight forward install.
Set Johnny joints to spec, drop in, rock car till bolt slides in, torque down.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The jam nut on the end of the track bar is what I'm talking about. Don't understand how an impact wrench could be used tighten this, but I'm open to ideas.

RK06187-2T.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Rock Krawler tells me that the nut is 1 5/16. Can anyone confirm? I hate to go out and buy a one time use wrench (or crows foot wrench) and then find out I bought the wrong one.

Has anyone installed this yet? Did you tighten the jam nut on or off the vehicle?

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Rock Krawler tells me that the nut is 1 5/16. Can anyone confirm? I hate to go out and buy a one time use wrench (or crows foot wrench) and then find out I bought the wrong one.

Has anyone installed this yet? Did you tighten the jam nut on or off the vehicle?
I installed them a few days ago, and I tightened them off the vehicle. I tried tightening the front jam nut mounted and it was a waste of time trying to get a bite on the nut, let alone getting enough leverage to crank it down.

Oh, and the specs on length provided in the instructions are a waste of time, they are for another model, most likely a JK.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I installed them a few days ago, and I tightened them off the vehicle. I tried tightening the front jam nut mounted and it was a waste of time trying to get a bite on the nut, let alone getting enough leverage to crank it down.

Oh, and the specs on length provided in the instructions are a waste of time, they are for another model, most likely a JK.
So a couple of questions, was the jam nut 1 5/16? Did you use a box wrench or a crows foot and a breaker bar to tighten? Off the Jeep sounds problemsome for me as I don't have a vise to hold it steady. What were the lengths you used for the two bars if the numbers provided were wrong? Thanks for the info.

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So a couple of questions, was the jam nut 1 5/16? Did you use a box wrench or a crows foot and a breaker bar to tighten? Off the Jeep sounds problemsome for me as I don't have a vise to hold it steady. What were the lengths you used for the two bars if the numbers provided were wrong? Thanks for the info.
I used an adjustable wrench and a pipe to tighten the jam nut. Page 5 in this Rock Krawler PDF has the specs to start with http://pureperformancegroupinc.com/hosted/directions/JL_AS_MID.pdf

I adjusted them to slightly longer than the stock track bars and went from there, it took 3-4 adjustments to get it where I wanted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I used an adjustable wrench and a pipe to tighten the jam nut. Page 5 in this Rock Krawler PDF has the specs to start with http://pureperformancegroupinc.com/hosted/directions/JL_AS_MID.pdf

I adjusted them to slightly longer than the stock track bars and went from there, it took 3-4 adjustments to get it where I wanted.
Can you do me a favor if you get a chance and measure the length of your track bar? My passenger side coil is hitting my bump tube in the center, and im adjusted a little longer on the front one than the specs say too. I was just curious if you get a chance. Thank you!

California Guy

First Name
California
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
Has anyone confirmed the size of the track bar jam Nut?

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just used a pipe wrench on mine, but more importantly can someone tell me why it’s even necessary to torque it? Even if it came loose track bar can’t spin while in brackets.maybe it’s just hold it in place until you get it installed?

If you dont torque the ever living crap out of the track bar then you will run into issues. If the jam nut backs out over time play within the threads between the rod end and the bar will develop. Worse case scenario, the threads will strip and you would lose the track bar.

Think of a nut and bolt, if you just thread it in there is still some wiggle in the threads. The same applies

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
A little red lock tight for the jam nut is a good idea too.
Sponsored