Sponsored

From XJ to JLU

jo_xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading it for a few months, as I'm getting ready to buy a new Jeep. Sadly, my 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ has been giving me too many expensive problems the last year, and it's time to get something more reliable for our needs: daily driving for my family, highway trips, camping, light to moderate trails, etc.

For the longest time I was stuck between a new Cherokee KL Trailhawk and a JLU. The KL because it seemed more "family friendly" while keeping some of that XJ ruggedness and off-road ability, but the JLU because it was much closer to the XJ all around in terms of style, capability, etc. But the more I researched and compared the specs on the two, the more I realized that the JLU probably has everything I'm looking for and is better in most categories than the Trailhawk—and of course is the only vehicle that retains the more rugged boxier look, which I love from my XJ. My big sticking point that had me leaning toward the Cherokee was cargo space, but it turns out to my surprise that the JLU has more cargo space in total than the Cherokee! The new Cherokee is really nothing like the XJ, and I'm just pissed that Jeep decided to go in such a different direction with the redesign.

Anyway, with the rant about the Cherokee over, I'm pretty sure now that a JLU will be the perfect replacement for the XJ. Now I was just hoping you guys could help me with a few lingering questions before I make my final decision. I'm leaning toward a Sahara for several reasons, but mostly for the body-colored fender flares and Selec-Trac, although I hate the stock tires/wheels and silver front bumper highlights on the Sahara.

(1) Selec-Trac: I have some doubts about the ST 4wd system, particularly I'm wondering how durable it is when not using the 4H Auto but manually selecting 4H or 4L part-time. I understand that the Selec-Trac is mechanically different than the Command-Trac in terms of how they engage and lock the front/back wheels. Does anyone have experience with the Selec-Trac system and can comment on whether it holds up to the Command-Trac in part-time 4wd modes? The Command-Trac system in my XJ has lasted 20 years of abuse in lots of on and off road conditions, without a single issue. Am I sacrificing some of that durability if I go with the Selec-Trac?

(2) Buliding/Ordering: When placing a custom order at my dealership, do they have more flexibility in selecting options for a certain model than the Jeep website? For example, on the website I can't change out the Sahara front bumper molding/colors for the Willy's or Rubicon color, but can the dealer add those options for me when ordering? Then there's stupid stuff like, if I select the 3.6L V6 eTorque (which I want), the website builder deselects the A/T tires and makes me get the standard all-season tires!

(3) If anyone has experience with the KL Trailhawk vs the JLU or even with an XJ vs the JLU, I'd be curious to hear your experience about how they compare.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
Welcome! The kL and the xj are nothing alike. I had a 94 XJ country and a KK arctic before I went wrangler. The Liberty was a lot closer to the xj than the kl. I have a kl limited as well and the wrangler offers the best of both worlds. You will love it!
I can’t comment on jl select trac but I had it in my xj and loved it! It was reliable too.
FYI Jeep.com is not the most reliable in regards to some packaging and model availability.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with Selec-Trac. The first thing I did was replace the tires with a set of 33" KO2s.

I have been doing a fair bit of moderate off-roading; right away I learned NOT to use the 4H Auto on the trail; the clutches started to smell. After that one time, I have been wheeling in Part-Time 4H and 4L without any issue; it performs exactly like the Command-Trac on my prior JKs. The 8-speed automatic gives you an extra-low 1st gear which, in 4L, gives you a nice crawl ratio.

Some will tell you that the clutch pack can overheat in extreme off-roading conditions. I haven't had that happen to me. Besides that first time I left it in 4A in error, I haven't had any issues. In fact, I find the availability of full-time 4WD a god-sent in winter conditions.

I am very happy both with my Sahara and with Selec-Trac.

Here's some evidence.
Jeep Wrangler JL From XJ to JLU 1596941950388

Jeep Wrangler JL From XJ to JLU 1596942027299

Jeep Wrangler JL From XJ to JLU 1596942078580

OP
OP
jo_xj

jo_xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Welcome! The kL and the xj are nothing alike. I had a 94 XJ country and a KK arctic before I went wrangler. The Liberty was a lot closer to the xj than the kl. I have a kl limited as well and the wrangler offers the best of both worlds. You will love it!
Thanks! This was my sense as well. It's good to hear confirmation from someone who's driven both.

OP
OP
jo_xj

jo_xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with Selec-Trac. The first thing I did was replace the tires with a set of 33" KO2s.

I have been doing a fair bit of moderate off-roading; right away I learned NOT to use the 4H Auto on the trail; the clutches started to smell. After that one time, I have been wheeling in Part-Time 4H and 4L without any issue; it performs exactly like the Command-Trac on my prior JKs. The 8-speed automatic gives you an extra-low 1st gear which, in 4L, gives you a nice crawl ratio.

Some will tell you that the clutch pack can overheat in extreme off-roading conditions. I haven't had that happen to me. Besides that first time I left it in 4A in error, I haven't had any issues. In fact, I find the availability of full-time 4WD a god-sent in winter conditions.

I am very happy both with my Sahara and with Selec-Trac.

Here's some evidence.

Thanks for the tips, and nice photos! I think I'll look into some KO2s after getting the Sahara. So that's stock wheels and suspension/lift with the 33 KO2s? Looks good.

That's good to know about the Selec-Track clutch. My idea was basically what your'e saying, to have the 4H Auto for mixed/wintery conditions in daily driving situations, and especially if the wife is driving. Then I'd go part-time 4H/4L for any sustained slippery or off-road situations just as I use my XJ part-time now. Hopefully that avoids unneeded stress on the clutch pack.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tips, and nice photos! I think I'll look into some KO2s after getting the Sahara. So that's stock wheels and suspension/lift with the 33 KO2s? Looks good.

That's good to know about the Selec-Track clutch. My idea was basically what your'e saying, to have the 4H Auto for mixed/wintery conditions in daily driving situations, and especially if the wife is driving. Then I'd go part-time 4H/4L for any sustained slippery or off-road situations just as I use my XJ part-time now. Hopefully that avoids unneeded stress on the clutch pack.
Thanks. Yes, those are 33-inch tires (275/70R18) on stock wheels and suspension.

Factoid: the JL Sahara comes stock with 1/2-inch more ground clearance than my 2018 JK Rubicon Recon did!

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
Thanks. Yes, those are 33-inch tires (275/70R18) on stock wheels and suspension.

Factoid: the JL Sahara comes stock with 1/2-inch more ground clearance than my 2018 JK Rubicon Recon did!
It’s amazing how tires make the rims look so much better! Nice Jeep sir!

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
It’s amazing how tires make the rims look so much better! Nice Jeep sir!
I have a 2019 Sahara with select trac and limited slip differential. I leave it in full auto all the time. It really gets the power to the ground, and feels very sure footed!

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
We too think of our JLU as replacement for our XJ's. But it is better at almost everything.

I think of Selec-trac as a no-brainer for most people. Without it you'll spend most of your time in rear wheel drive, which is the most dangerous setup on slippery roads. If get the limited slip you'll be even better.

If you can get the all-terrain tires they do look a little better, and might get you through until they wear out. But when the tires wear out I do plan on putting BFG's on, although I might just go with their 32.5" size.

Also if you put on a set of wheel spacers it helps the stance look a little more planted. Swapping the bumper is easy, and you can pick up the factory steel front bumper off craigslist for like $500. Both are shown here.

One thing you didn't mention, and I haven't done yet, is replace the factory running boards. You can get a set of Rubicon rock rails off craigslist for like $50 and would make the Jeep look significantly less pedestrian. They are useful, though, and that's why my wife won't let me get rid of them.

Jeep Wrangler JL From XJ to JLU 50208178167_eee42f5d96_k

Sponsored

OP
OP
jo_xj

jo_xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
We too think of our JLU as replacement for our XJ's. But it is better at almost everything.

I think of Selec-trac as a no-brainer for most people. Without it you'll spend most of your time in rear wheel drive, which is the most dangerous setup on slippery roads. If get the limited slip you'll be even better.

If you can get the all-terrain tires they do look a little better, and might get you through until they wear out. But when the tires wear out I do plan on putting BFG's on, although I might just go with their 32.5" size.

Also if you put on a set of wheel spacers it helps the stance look a little more planted. Swapping the bumper is easy, and you can pick up the factory steel front bumper off craigslist for like $500. Both are shown here.

One thing you didn't mention, and I haven't done yet, is replace the factory running boards. You can get a set of Rubicon rock rails off craigslist for like $50 and would make the Jeep look significantly less pedestrian. They are useful, though, and that's why my wife won't let me get rid of them.

Jeep Wrangler JL From XJ to JLU 50208178167_eee42f5d96_k
Excellent, thank you my fellow XJ owner! Glad to hear you're happy with the JLU. I'm getting increasingly excited about ordering mine as I narrow down the options.

The bumper and the running boards were two other doubts I had in my mind. I don't even mind the look of the stock Sahara side steps, but I do worry about their durability when getting hit on trails.

I agree, those Dueler A/Ts look good, and I'll definitely try to get them so I can delay the need for a tire upgrade. Those are pretty similar to what I have now on the XJ anyway. As someone above said, better tires (yours or the BFGs) really do make the stock Sahara rims look better.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The bumper and the running boards were two other doubts I had in my mind. I don't even mind the look of the stock Sahara side steps, but I do worry about their durability when getting hit on trails.
You’d be surprised the beating those sidesteps can take. I’m convinced they are made of some indestructible recycled material...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Some Tips:
  1. Saharas come with a rear D44. The rear LSD adds $595. If you order Selec-Trac, it already includes the rear LSD, all for $595. So getting the Selec-Trac is a no-brainer.
  2. If you plan on getting a Sahara with hardtop and Cold Weather Group, check out the North Edition. It is a Sahara that includes both those options for a few dollars in savings. I believe Selec-Trac is included but you need to double check. The catch is: (1) you need to take the 2.0T motor; (2) it is offered in fewer colors that regular Sahara.
  3. Sahara Altitude offers a unique, attractive blacked-out exterior and includes leather and the hardtop also for a few dollars in savings. Catch is the only interior color is black, and comes in fewer exterior colors than regular Sahara.

OP
OP
jo_xj

jo_xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Thanks to everyone for their help so far. I'm feeling more confident that the JLU will be a great replacement for the XJ. So I think I have most of the big decisions made:

Sarge Green JLU Sahara
A/T tires / gray rims
Dual top
Standard side steps
Plastic door sill guards
Black cloth seats
Trailer Tow package
8.4-inch radio and premium audio package
LED package
3.6L V6 eTorque engine
8-speed automatic
Anti-spin Diff
Selec-Trac

The last big one is whether to go with the black or body-color hard top. Leaning toward body-color, but they both look good on the Sarge green.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase