From Volkswagens to a Wrangler?

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
With products like the TopLift Pro you can take the hard top off in the same, or less amount of time than you can the soft top. Not sure why people say if you get a hard top you’ll never take it off.
If you have 2 cars it may be inconvenient to keep putting it on and off depending on weather forecast. The soft top from the videos i've seen it's a quick push and it's sitting on the trunk area.

We'll have 3 cars so our plan is to take off the hard top in early spring and leave it off til fall, then on days when its raining just leave it in the garage.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
Oh yeah, the many many rattles. I think VW pumps those in through the soundkerator to give you an authentic VW experience.
ahhh, the good ol' soundaktor. I unplugged that and threw it as far as i could!

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
With all of this critical thinking, I'm wondering if buying a used JK or TJ is more appropriate than leasing a wrangler and losing out on my VW GLI fun.

Of course, that raises other flags about rust, modifications, but I think owning an older JK or TJ will be more fitting for me and keeping the GLI for the days the Jeep doesn't need to come out, IE: long commutes, bad weather, etc.

Thoughts?

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
I bought a jl and kept the VW
IMG_0778.JPG
:rock::rock: what year is that, 76?

I think keeping the GLI and fixing up an older jeep will be my final decision!

OR

Get a new JLU and find an old Karmann Ghia.. Oh, decisions, decisions lol

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
giphy.gif

Get the Jeep, Restore the Ghia get a trailer and tow the classic along with you!

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
With all of this critical thinking, I'm wondering if buying a used JK or TJ is more appropriate than leasing a wrangler and losing out on my VW GLI fun.

Of course, that raises other flags about rust, modifications, but I think owning an older JK or TJ will be more fitting for me and keeping the GLI for the days the Jeep doesn't need to come out, IE: long commutes, bad weather, etc.

Thoughts?
The JL is darn nice, but I don't think of it as a road trip vehicle. For us the minivan will fill that role.

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
Update:

Well, after all the test driving that I’ve done in the wranglers, both engines, hard top & soft top, as we were leaving a dealer we came across this gem (sorry for the old photo) & well, we scooped this up instead.

JLU Wrangler will be in future, but fixing this up to be trail ready will give us the best of both worlds we are looking for!

F0522DE8-055F-4C90-B951-139165B9B76C.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

Well, after all the test driving that I’ve done in the wranglers, both engines, hard top & soft top, as we were leaving a dealer we came across this gem (sorry for the old photo) & well, we scooped this up instead.

JLU Wrangler will be in future, but fixing this up to be trail ready will give us the best of both worlds we are looking for!

Well.... I guess thats a good buy.

tenor.gif

Sponsored

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
:rock::rock: what year is that, 76?

I think keeping the GLI and fixing up an older jeep will be my final decision!

OR

It's a 1961. I'd get the JLU and a Ghia!!

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Get a soft top, you will never take the hard top off and you need a place to store it, manual transmission, because you don’t want a girls Jeep, 8.4” infotainment center, and LED lights are the bomb. Order it and get what you want, don’t settle for something on a lot. Mine cane in 17 days after ordering it. I traded in a 2017 BMW X5 on it and couldn’t be happier. Good luck!
100% agreement on the manual transmission! I had to special order mine just for that reason, but it took less than a month. And if you are paying this much for a vehicle, you might as well have patience and order exactly what you want.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
With products like the TopLift Pro you can take the hard top off in the same, or less amount of time than you can the soft top. Not sure why people say if you get a hard top you’ll never take it off.
I just have such a hard time spending $1000 on that thing. i don't think they're wrong for charging that much considering they seem to be selling pretty quickly, but it's just so expensive. i'm considering going the home depot scaffolding route.

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The Toplift Pro is outrageously over priced.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Update:

Congratulations, that's awesome
I was just catching up and was going to say the daily driver + older Jeep was a good idea and the Bronco is along the same lines. I had older Jeeps as a second vehicle for a while and loved it. This is the first time I'm daily'ing a Jeep and I hope it doesn't ruin the fun value.
Sponsored