From Volkswagens to a Wrangler?

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

This is my first post into the wranglers forums, so be easy on the new guy.

I tripped over from vwvortex forums and landed here, after a few years of wanting a Wrangler, I'm curious to seek some opinions from people who are hardcore wrangler enthusiasts, new Jeep comers, and people like me who are considering leaving the VW/Audi 'the dark side' realm and get myself into a wrangler.

If you're asking why I want to leave VW, well:
1. After they've all I have been driving, I feel a product maturity in them & they now all feel the same.
2. I want to jump into something new, different from all I've been driving.

I'll start off by why I have considered a wrangler: and let me first say this, I have test driven a 2018 JLU Sport S. It had a soft top, 4cyl turbo, auto, and I didn't mind the transmission, the cabin noise wasn't as bad as i feel a lot of people were warning me about & I didn't think as a stock jeep the ride was rough, again, coming from lowered VW's, it rode much nicer, but I didn't want the test drive to end. it felt just right.
so....

1. No, im not going to be doing anything too crazy with mods or off-roading. I will be taking the jeep into the woods; hunting, fishing, road trips, camping, up to the mountains to snowboard, etc, places where my Jetta currenty limits me from going now.
2. I want something new feeling, very american, macho, tough, and can get me anywhere I need it to. (that sounds cliche, but lets be honest, we all can agree on this...right?
3. I want to be able to take the roof and doors off and enjoy a different feel of "fun" from a vehicle, other than turbo's and tunes.
4. Financially, they hold value, great value.
5. I don't mind the MPG & after reading some forums, averaging 18-22mpg isn't too far off from what I get now.
6. NY Winters are brutal, i'd take advantage of the amenities the JL has (cold weather package).
7. I don't want any other jeep product other than a wrangler, no GC, no Compass, nada..
8. I dont want FWD.

Those are just some simplified reasons why I think the vehicle is a good fir for me. For the opinions and advice from the experts, what are other things I need to consider? Just because the car "feels right" doesn't mean it is right. What are your questions for yourself before investing in a new car? I'm not talking about "can I afford this" this isn't meant to be a financial form, just opinions.

My ideal is JLU Sport S auto with some packages OR Sahara.

What should I know that a test drive can't really teach me?

Are they "that good" in the snow, tires/4x4? Is an older JK better for me? I know these are questions that branch off to more questions, but any and all advice helps.

Let me know! & I'll be sure to clarify if I wasn't too clear on anything
I got a sport s and should have done a sahara for all the little things at minimal price delta. I also wish I would have done dual top and LED lights.