Sponsored

From Steel Bumpers to Floor Mats: What Should I Order?

What should I order factory installed on a Rubicon Unlimited? (details below)

• mopar lower body side graphic $ 245

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mopar upper body side graphic $ 245

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've always bought used, and now I'm considering a new Rubicon for commute and overlanding. Should I get any of these options factory installed – or can I get better quality or price in the aftermarket? Prices are MSRP.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't get the MOPAR stuff from the factory. Yes it raises your MSRP so it will improve resale down the road a little. But you can get a better deal on all of these retail.

Definitely don't get the all-weather mats. You lose the carpet mats. You can pay less for the all-weather mats on Amazon and end up with both.

Same with the grille. You can buy it aftermarket and keep your stock grille in case you get tired of black or potentially even sell the stock grille.

The only things on this list I would get from the factory are the Alpine (not important to me but may swear by it), the tow group, and maybe the steel bumper. I decided I preferred an aftermarket front bumper, but the stock steel front bumper is attractive. The rear bumper is not that great. And you still have to buy the winch plate and grille guard separately.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Get the stuff that’s impossible or difficult to install aftermarket.

tow package - wiring, aux switches, heavier alternator. The hitch itself is the smallest possible component of the tow package.

Alpine audio. need good sounds to drown out the road noise

Proximity locks. It’s so cheap. It should be default

Block heater - isn’t this part of the cold weather group? At least it used to be. Get the cold weather group too.

if you like the steel bumpers get them. You’ll need them to mount a winch. you can get cheaper aftermarket bumpers but this is a nice bumper. So if you like it you like it.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The only things on this list I would get from the factory are the Alpine (not important to me but may swear by it), the tow group, and maybe the steel bumper. I decided I preferred an aftermarket front bumper, but the stock steel front bumper is attractive. The rear bumper is not that great. And you still have to buy the winch plate and grille guard separately.
Thanks! These are good tips.

What about the
  • hinge-gate reinforcement
  • rock slider w/step assist
Are these easy to get aftermarket, if I ever need them?

Sponsored

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
All the top votes are looking good.

I got the Alpine radio and the trailer tow with electrical group and do not regret them. I would regret not getting them. The Alpine is a huge upgrade for the sound. The trailer tow is useful if you want to do anything with the hitch. The electrical is beneficial if you want to add any additional lights or other switched electrical stuff.

A few things I didn't order, but would get in hindsight:

Steel bumper. I was thinking of eventually replacing the bumper with aftermarket, but the steel bumper has a lot of benefits: You can easily add a brush guard and remove the side portions to make it look great and it is ready for a winch, should you want one. You cannot easily customize the non-steel bumper without dealing with replacing the whole thing.

Rubber/all weather floor mats and cargo liner: It's a Jeep. You will get the floor dirty, be it mud, snow, rain, dirt, whatever. Easier to get these from the start than buy aftermarket. I wouldn't mind losing the stock mats because they will just sit somewhere taking up space when I upgrade to the rubber mats. Not to mention saving the hassle of spending time researching, purchasing, and installing them when they would have been perfectly fine pre-installed.

Other opinions may vary, which is fine. This is just mine and it seems to reconcile with the consensus.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! These are good tips.

What about the
  • hinge-gate reinforcement
  • rock slider w/step assist
Are these easy to get aftermarket, if I ever need them?
I think there are better aftermarket options for similar or less money.

If you are going off-road you want true rock sliders that are frame-mounted. I got the Roam sliders. ace sliders are also good and compatible with the stock rock rails. LOD also makes good ones i am sure there are others.

I don’t have a hinge reinforcement so i can’t speak on that.

This is just my opinion. These certainly aren’t bad options and if you get them from the factory they are rolled into your loan and preinstalled.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This is just my opinion. These certainly aren’t bad options and if you get them from the factory they are rolled into your loan and preinstalled.
Thanks again! I generally assume that aftermarket parts are cheaper or better (or both). For example, The K&N cold air intake is highly rated and sells for 43% less than Mopar's.

The margin on options is much higher than the margin on the Jeep itself. Sometimes it make sense to pay, sometime it doesn't.

That's why I asked. Thanks for your tips.

Last edited:

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
alpine audio and the tow package are the only things i would add from your list.
i'd also consider the safety 1 package and the led lighting package. the rest are bolt-ons that you can get for a better price elsewhere.

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Most of the "little" add ons you listed can be had for cheaper off amazon. Like the floor mats, door steps, etc.
Things you definitely want from the factory, trailer tow auxiliary group, Alpine System / Uconnect 8.4, steal bumpers (if you like the look, I personally added after the fact and it cost me more and I only received the front). I'd also highly recommend the LED Lighting group and safety package.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
If it is any consolation, here are the options I ordered: 8.4 audio, steel bumpers, HD electrical and tow, LED lighting, proximity keyless entry, remote start and front camera. I didnt see the need for any of the safety packages. All the other “add ons” I will buy aftermarket over time for much cheaper.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
alpine audio and the tow package are the only things i would add from your list.
i'd also consider the safety 1 package and the led lighting package. the rest are bolt-ons that you can get for a better price elsewhere.
Thanks! The safety and LED are on the list (and the advanced safety, too).

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Most of the "little" add ons you listed can be had for cheaper off amazon. Like the floor mats, door steps, etc.
That's what I suspected. And you're right about the "big" things. Thanks!

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If it is any consolation, here are the options I ordered: 8.4 audio, steel bumpers, HD electrical and tow, LED lighting, proximity keyless entry, remote start and front camera. I didnt see the need for any of the safety packages. All the other “add ons” I will buy aftermarket over time for much cheaper.
Thanks! That's exactly why I asked.
Sponsored