Sponsored

From Steel Bumpers to Floor Mats: What Should I Order?

What should I order factory installed on a Rubicon Unlimited? (details below)

• mopar lower body side graphic $ 245

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mopar upper body side graphic $ 245

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
trending responses are pretty spot on.

Alpine stereo is sweet. Would be hard to duplicate aftermarket for same price and factory look.
Steel bumpers are nice. Back bumper is not good but the front bumper and skid is worth the upgrade.
Tow package is easily worth it. Bigger battery, alternator, hitch and wiring (factory wiring allows vehicle to know when something is in tow to activate electronic sway control), and the aux switches.
Floor mats are really nice for the price. Aftermarket saves a couple bucks but I think the mopar ones are nicer. Can buy the same ones later with super simple install if you want.

I also selected the tailgate reinforcement. I like it. Not sure its worth the cost. but works for my 37 just fine and I didn't have to mess with hinges. I may add the teraflex alfa carrier on later but that works in addition. Mobobilt (or similar) hinge replacement would be nicer option if you go aftermarket... just depends on what you want.

my $0.02
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
oh! LED light package is worth the money. HIGHLY recommend. Aftermarket will cost about the same in my opinion.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I just picked up the Performance Rock Rail aka heavy duty rock slider with step assist for $725 shipped online. As with the other bolt-on Mopar stuff, just buy online and install yourself. Options you can't really DIY easily like the sound system and the tow/accessory package are worthwhile to get factory, IMO. I like those wheels a lot but you can probably get them online for cheaper, too.

Not sure where you are in the US but if it gets cold, grab the Cold Weather Package to get the heated wheel. I have it in my other vehicles and it is really nice to have.

I don't really know what the Mopar Steel Bumper gets you over possible cheaper aftermarket options. I'd probably go aftermarket/online for this one, too but not sure how difficult installation is. They seem to be common enough mods that it can't be that challenging.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
oh! LED light package is worth the money. HIGHLY recommend. Aftermarket will cost about the same in my opinion.
Yes, absolutely. The standard lights are fine for the city, but totally lost on the backcountry roads I frequent.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just picked up the Performance Rock Rail aka heavy duty rock slider with step assist for $725 shipped online. As with the other bolt-on Mopar stuff,
I naively assumed that the Mopar stuff is welded to the body. Now I realize that it's no different than what I can accomplish myself with a ratchet, two sockets, and 30 minutes. Thanks!

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I Got the Alpine, Trailer Tow, block heater, safety, LED, CWG in our Sahara and Rubicon. Also got the Selec Trac and LSD and dual top in the Sahara

all the other stuff you can get later, dont do the all weather mats, I got burned on that, they delelte the std mats and it is cheaper to buy the all weather matts later and you will still get the std mats.

I put the all weather mats in and have the carpet matts on top.

Get the block heater since it is cheap and you get one chance to get it.

Get the safety for the blind spot, LED if you like that, CWG for the heated seats and start,.

I skipped the steel bumpers since I can get them cheaper later, skipped the remote entry since will have tube doors or doorless most of the time, advanced safety dont need.

Our excise tax paid yearly here in Maine is based on the MSRP, so the higher the MSRP, the more tax you pay every years, so cheaper to buy later.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I naively assumed that the Mopar stuff is welded to the body. Now I realize that it's no different than what I can accomplish myself with a ratchet, two sockets, and 30 minutes. Thanks!
No way of knowing it until someone tells you! I was the same way, but then I looked into rock rails/side steps and realized that 99% of them bolt in. The rails took like 45 mins to install and super straightforward.

Also, I love having both tops, but your usage may vary. I think if I had to do it all over again I'd just get the premium soft top. Dual top option might make sense for you but don't know your expected usage.

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, really? The soft top is enough in the winter?
If that's your only concern, IMHO, the soft top is perfectly fine for winter. Some people express concern about security, especially in the city and discussing this can open a whole can of worms.

Caveat: I've owned 4 Wranglers and all were soft tops. Two in D.C. area (Arlington, VA). Three in Milwaukee/Chicago (one was in both DC and WI). I've had no problems with warmth in the winter, but I'm a little crazy in that for two years I only owned a motorcycle in DC area and rode in the winter, at least once in 20 degree weather... Might want to check with others about soft tops in winter. ;)

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
+1 on the tow package. I like the better battery and have used two switches already for lights and winch power interrupt.

I like the Alpine system a lot.

I also am glad I added the proximity locks and find that useful even when running doorless because I like to have the tailgate locked.

I like the bum warmers because it extends my doors-off/top-down season.

The premium soft top is great all year round. I like it in safari mode when it’s hot out.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
+1 on the tow package. I like the better battery and have used two switches already for lights and winch power interrupt.

I like the Alpine system a lot.

I also am glad I added the proximity locks and find that useful even when running doorless because I like to have the tailgate locked.

I like the bum warmers because it extends my doors-off/top-down season.

The premium soft top is great all year round. I like it in safari mode when it’s hot out.
Tow package also gets you a stronger alternator I believe. I haven't used my aux ports yet but having them prewired for any accessory I accumulate over the years to come is awesome, but the stronger battery and alternator are great as I get quite a bit of use out of my winch.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Depends on if you tow anything. If you do, that is literally the only thing on your list I would add. In my case I will rarely tow anything but I do use a trailer hitch to mount my bike rack so an aftermarket bumper did the trick for a fraction of the price.

LED package was worth it, better than mot aftermarket options.

I ordered the Alpine system and ended up replacing the front speakers, sub and added amps. Wish I wouldn't had wasted the money but I do like the 8.4" screen.

That said, I bought a Rubicon this time around and it seems like they thought of most everything that nickel and dimed me on my last Jeep.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
trending responses are pretty spot on.

Alpine stereo is sweet. Would be hard to duplicate aftermarket for same price and factory look.
Steel bumpers are nice. Back bumper is not good but the front bumper and skid is worth the upgrade.
Tow package is easily worth it. Bigger battery, alternator, hitch and wiring (factory wiring allows vehicle to know when something is in tow to activate electronic sway control), and the aux switches.
Floor mats are really nice for the price. Aftermarket saves a couple bucks but I think the mopar ones are nicer. Can buy the same ones later with super simple install if you want.

I also selected the tailgate reinforcement. I like it. Not sure its worth the cost. but works for my 37 just fine and I didn't have to mess with hinges. I may add the teraflex alfa carrier on later but that works in addition. Mobobilt (or similar) hinge replacement would be nicer option if you go aftermarket... just depends on what you want.

my $0.02
I 100% agree about the Alpine stereo. I got the stock in my 2018 JLU which is weak at best. Candidly, the sound sucks with the top off and my R/Ts on the highway. We just got the Alpine in a 2020 JLU with the Sun and Sound package. WOW! It is so clean sounding and that subwoofer will wake up the dead. If I could go back, I would totally get the original Alpine. Now going to do the Alpine upgrade in the 2018. Not looking forward to taking all of that trim off to wire it, but can't imagine not having a better sound system now. Do yourself a favor and just get it.