Sponsored

From a 2009 Honda Fit to....2108 Jeep Wrangler Jl

wanderofitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit
Hey all- I've truly enjoyed reading these forum posts for many, many months. Very informative. Now, I would like to ask your thoughts. I want to buy a Jeep so badly. But, I am petrified. I commute 55 miles a day. On weekends I haul around my three teenage boys and have had very little, if any problems with my Fit. But. I need a change. I want a Jeep. My fear is not being able to rationalize to myself why? Why a 40,000 Jeep? But, it's the dreams I have about what I will do someday with a Jeep is what inspires me to get it!! Please share your thoughts on reliability, daily driver and overall fun level! Inspire me!
Sponsored

BigLew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevrolet Bolt Premier, 2021 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired-Banking-Insurance-Coal Miner-Maintenance...a bit of everything! :)
Hey all- I've truly enjoyed reading these forum posts for many, many months. Very informative. Now, I would like to ask your thoughts. I want to buy a Jeep so badly. But, I am petrified. I commute 55 miles a day. On weekends I haul around my three teenage boys and have had very little, if any problems with my Fit. But. I need a change. I want a Jeep. My fear is not being able to rationalize to myself why? Why a 40,000 Jeep? But, it's the dreams I have about what I will do someday with a Jeep is what inspires me to get it!! Please share your thoughts on reliability, daily driver and overall fun level! Inspire me!

Yes...you have to pay for fun....it's going to cost you in gas, insurance is low, you would probably feel more at
ease with the extended warranty (Jeeps, not a third party warranty). It always comes down to "Can you afford it?".
Maybe keep the Fit and add the Wrangler? Down the road the Fit will be the perfect college car or spare for the
kids to drive.
Good luck on your decision!

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Go to a good Jeep dealership and take an extended test drive in a JL. Make sure you drive it on similar types of roads that make up your daily commute. Don't just take the dealer test loop. Real world MPG is going to be around 20 mpg depending on your right foot. I'm guessing the Fit gets high 30s in MPGs. Factor in double the gas cost and lots of money for modifications. It's addicting. But luckily the Jeep has strong resale value if you decide not to keep it.

CyBourg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 07 Honda S2000, 2018 JLU Sport O)|||||(O

Good thing you've got 90 years to figure it out :)

I'm going from an S2000 to a Wrangler so I understand the apprehension. After making the decision, I couldn't be more excited. It's certainly going to be more costly to own than the Fit but when you spend so much time driving you should at least have some fun while doing it. Good luck on the decision!

OP
OP

wanderofitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit

I'm going from an S2000 to a Wrangler so I understand the apprehension. After making the decision, I couldn't be more excited. It's certainly going to be more costly to own than the Fit but when you spend so much time driving you should at least have some fun while doing it. Good luck on the decision!
THay

Thanks for the response. Ha! It took me a second to figure out the 90 years comment... that’s what I get for typing without my glasses! I think I’m at that age where I want to buy something for the sheer joy, rather than the practicality of it!

Sponsored

OP
OP

wanderofitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit
Go to a good Jeep dealership and take an extended test drive in a JL. Make sure you drive it on similar types of roads that make up your daily commute. Don't just take the dealer test loop. Real world MPG is going to be around 20 mpg depending on your right foot. I'm guessing the Fit gets high 30s in MPGs. Factor in double the gas cost and lots of money for modifications. It's addicting. But luckily the Jeep has strong resale value if you decide not to keep it.
Thanks for the response. I did the typical loop the other weekend, and just couldn’t get a good feel for the Jeep. Then, I got the hard sell from the salesman. The whole experience bothered me. But, one strange thing I noticed, the wheel didn’t return to center after a turn? That don’t seem normal to me. I asked the salesman. He said... yeah.. yeah, hats how they feel? Hmmm. Something didn’t seem right.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
But, one strange thing I noticed, the wheel didn’t return to center after a turn? That don’t seem normal to me. I asked the salesman. He said... yeah.. yeah, hats how they feel? Hmmm. Something didn’t seem right.
Normal, you need to actually drive a Jeep. You are dealing with a completely different suspension / steering setup than a car. These are built for off road and you will be sacrificing some things that you may be used to driving a car.

OP
OP

wanderofitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit
Good to know. Thanks. I had never driven a Jeep until that moment.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
What's been said about gas mileage is true. Driving on the highway conservatively I've been able to get 23-24mpg but it averages around 20 once city mileage comes in. I could've gotten a vehicle with better gas mileage, quieter ride, and more creature comforts but they wouldn't offer what the Jeep does.

If you want to explore trails, accessorize your vehicle, or take the top off, nothing else compares. The JL has a lot more creature comforts than the previous generation but thats not what its main emphasis is.

Definitely take a few more test drives or better yet try and find someone who has one and hit some trails. You may find you don't like the way they handle or that you enjoy what makes them different. They certainly aren't for everyone but they fit a set of needs better than any other vehicle.
Sponsored