First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
  • Banned
We all have or had them.

Old friend's last exciting car was a generic C300 4matic (Non-turbo), then he gets a Frog eyed Cherokee and now a XT5, and my new friend has an Accord who barely pushes it (Granted, it was night time, he wasn't familiar with the area and he does have some eye issues, but it's also like 10 under, never WOT'd and if I didn't drink, I would of insisted on driving instead)

Fortunately, not all my friends are like that, but makes you wonder whats going on that someone in their 20's chooses something basic?

Hbu, what boring cars do your friends own?
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My 29yo son just bought his first new car ever. A loaded Honda Odyssey mini-van with an msrp $4k more than my Wrangler! Yes he's married with child #2 on the way but I cringe at the thought of dropping that much coin on a mini-van!

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
My 29yo son just bought his first new car ever. A loaded Honda Odyssey mini-van with an msrp $4k more than my Wrangler! Yes he's married with child #2 on the way but I cringe at the thought of dropping that much coin on a mini-van!
O.O;;;

I don't know which part has me jaw dropped more; first new car or that it's a minivan that costs $4k more than your Jeep

He could of joined you with getting a Jeep, why did he do that?!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
There are all sorts of folks out there. I don't feel a need to poke fun at those who go with boring or traditional vehicles. I love my Honda just as much as my Wrangler. Granted it's one of the more controversial Honda's but it is an awesome road trip vehicle and it's got a far more advanced AWD system than my Jeep If I'm traversing snowy slippery roads the Honda would be my first choice. The Jeep is no slouch and can definitely handle anything but would certainly be my zombie apocalypse choice.

There are those who absolutely have to have a Wrangler in the stable... and there are those who don't. No need to mock them... :giggle:

Shit-Jeepers-Say-_memes_tweets-2-1024x683.jpg

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
O.O;;;

I don't know which part has me jaw dropped more; first new car or that it's a minivan that costs $4k more than your Jeep

Because he’s putting his family, especially his children, FIRST. The way it SHOULD be. You obviously have no children...

Sponsored

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
O.O;;;

You will be surprised what a blessing a minivan is for a family with little kids. Sliding doors with all the space - you can't beat it. And Odyssey is one of the best and comfortable minivans. Trust me, he did the smartest choice. And it comes from someone who switched his pre-kids BMW M3 for after-kids Toyota Sienna and never regretted it.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
A trend I have noticed when young people buy their first car, is that they rely heavily on the advice of people they know, often people older than them, often their parents. They get practical advice, that typically emphasizes getting good value, economy, and safety at the price point. Interesting, fun, and performance are often not emphasized.

Example 1: Friend let's dad pick his first car. Ford Focus sedan; well equipped, but still a Focus. Drives it for a year or two, then gets something a little more interesting.

Example 2: Friend leases Honda Civic after graduation. It suits him well enough.

Example 3: Friend leases Toyota Camry 4 cyl. Shockingly boring car, for an interesting person. She later regrets the 4 year lease.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Because he’s putting his family, especially his children, FIRST. The way it SHOULD be. You obviously have no children...
I'm happily single. Just don't see how Jeeps are bad.

You will be surprised what a blessing a minivan is for a family with little kids. Sliding doors with all the space - you can't beat it. And Odyssey is one of the best and comfortable minivans. Trust me, he did the smartest choice. And it comes from someone who switched his pre-kids BMW M3 for after-kids Toyota Sienna and never regretted it.
I can imagine, they are designed for comfort. Just think I'd suffer a Blue Screen of Death if I ever had to get one

There are all sorts of folks out there. I don't feel a need to poke fun at those who go with boring or traditional vehicles. I love my Honda just as much as my Wrangler. Granted it's one of the more controversial Honda's but it is an awesome road trip vehicle and it's got a far more advanced AWD system than my Jeep If I'm traversing snowy slippery roads the Honda would be my first choice. The Jeep is no slouch and can definitely handle anything but would certainly be my zombie apocalypse choice.

There are those who absolutely have to have a Wrangler in the stable... and there are those who don't. No need to mock them... :giggle:

Shit-Jeepers-Say-_memes_tweets-2-1024x683.jpg
Oh, I don't mock em too much, my new friend is that, new, so I didn't have any input.

My old friend I tried to steer towards a Wrangler, but he's 29 going on to 55 with a list of future ex wives, kids and gf's with his dad cars xD

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
A trend I have noticed when young people buy their first car, is that they rely heavily on the advice of people they know, often people older than them, often their parents. They get practical advice, that typically emphasizes getting good value, economy, and safety at the price point. Interesting, fun, and performance are often not emphasized.

Example 1: Friend let's dad pick his first car. Ford Focus sedan; well equipped, but still a Focus. Drives it for a year or two, then gets something a little more interesting.

Example 2: Friend leases Honda Civic after graduation. It suits him well enough.

Example 3: Friend leases Toyota Camry 4 cyl. Shockingly boring car, for an interesting person. She later regrets the 4 year lease.
To me, friends who need advice for a new car make me feel alive, as I can offer them input so they can be awesome.

That's also why I'm looking at a manual 2dr

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
To me, friends who need advice for a new car make me feel alive, as I can offer them input so they can be awesome.

That's also why I'm looking at a manual 2dr
I love talking cars (duh, I'm on a vehicle forum, for a vehicle I don't even own, lol) and always like to give consideration to how interesting the vehicle is, and how it makes them feel.

When I was helping my wife pick her first car, we had her test drive tons of options. She did not quite know what she wanted right away, but I wanted to make sure she got something she loved as much as I loved my first vehicle.

FWIW, my first vehicle was a GMC Canyon 4x4, which I later lifted. My wife ended up in a Mini Countryman S All4, with checker flag mirror caps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love talking cars (duh, I'm on a vehicle forum, for a vehicle I don't even own, lol) and always like to give consideration to how interesting the vehicle is, and how it makes them feel.

When I was helping my wife pick her first car, we had her test drive tons of options. She did not quite know what she wanted right away, but I wanted to make sure she got something she loved as much as I loved my first vehicle.

FWIW, my first vehicle was a GMC Canyon 4x4, which I later lifted. My wife ended up in a Mini Countryman S All4, with checker flag mirror caps.
She had great tastes, no sarcasm at all, though what trans?

Had an 05 Liberty, then a H3x, didn't mod until my Audi's though
f44851121894e2d500da1ec639bfafcax.jpg

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
She had great tastes, no sarcasm at all, though what trans?
It has the 6 speed auto. Between the very sporty sport mode, and the manual mode which allows you to choose gears via the console shifter or paddles, it offers all the control I want.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has the 6 speed auto. Between the very sporty sport mode, and the manual mode which allows you to choose gears via the console shifter or paddles, it offers all the control I want.
Gotta love Tiptronic

Thinking of off-roading with it?

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Gotta love Tiptronic

Thinking of off-roading with it?
It will happily take on some ruts, or snow well above its bumper, but with it's limited clearance, I don't have interest in taking it far off road. If we are going somewhere you can't drive a FWD sedan, we will be in my Sierra 4x4.

nc_oc=AQmqn9ls14W8DvLXH81devspSx8A0zLcLYtXJlGUNhJ0apjLt97fjodu0Paj8RhK-70&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.jpg

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)