Sponsored

Friend wants to buy a jeep to drive on the sand

SmilesPerGallon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
I'm a float your boat kind of guy..but to see all that tread get lost on the highway gotta co$t.
I used to run Slicks or Drag Radials on my mustangs so this is far cheaper than that at least my KO2 have more than 8k treadlife.
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
A friend of mine wants to buy a jeep to drive on the beach. Nothing intense just a slow drive on the beach. Is there a difference between the Sport S Model and the Rubicon Model as far as protection from the sand. I know the Rubicon's have skid plates but is the engine and parts sealed differently to keep the elements out. Is the Rubicon worth the extra money just to drive it on the beach?
No. A Sport S can do that too. People mainyly buy Rubicons either for the way it looks or it’s slightly better off road features like lockers and electric sway bar disconnect; neither of which will be needed on the Beach.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
At my beaches, the speed limit is 40Kph. When in 4Lo, the speed limit is 40Kph

Also, to climb a sandhill, you need momentum - typically approaching 40Kph.

I have been advised that we should only be in 4Lo we we absolutley have to be otherwise the transmission can over heat.

Therefore it is best to remain in 4 wheel High - part time, when on a beach.

Common sense- never go anywhere near the salt water. Look at the beach, find the high tide mark and check when the next high tide is!

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
Drove on the beach for years in a 1997 TJ with 30 maybe 30.5 in. mild ATs. Stopped airing down after the first 20 or so times never had a problem. I have put about 600 miles on my 2021 JLU Sport S, probably about half of those on the beach does just fine. Don't air down in the JLU, mainly b/c I'm lazy but it certainly doesn't hurt.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
I do like having the ability to monitor my transmission and engine oil temperatures with my current Rubicon.
Our sport has that ability too --- its on the screen under apps -- then "Offroad". Oil, water temps, trans temp, oil pressure, etc. I like to drive around town with that screen on just for the extra info.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Pfffft.... EVERYONE knows that ONLY the Rubicon was designed for ANYTHING off pavement. You are seriously taking your life into your own hands if you take a Sport or Sahara off road. The dealer should have told your "friend" this.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Our sport has that ability too --- its on the screen under apps -- then "Offroad". Oil, water temps, trans temp, oil pressure, etc. I like to drive around town with that screen on just for the extra info.
I drive around using the temp monitoring screens plenty for just normal daily driving. But then I use those daily driving values I've seen to compare to driving in mountains or offroading. Surprisingly 4 lo or 4 high beach driving doesn't raise the trans temp as much as driving up mountain roads.

Here's a little info that may help someone compare their Jeep to.
Today I drove up to the top of Pilot Mountain (Andy Griffith show's Mount Pilot) and the trans temp reached 201 by the time I reached the summit. Beach driving I usually see around 190 after several miles. Air temp was actually hotter at the beach and cooler on the mountain.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If your friend wants to have a Jeep for the beach, may I suggest an "Islander!" Bit more than a Sport S and a bit less than a Rubicon.

Best,
-Tim
Islands can have rocks, trees, jungles, volcanos, etc.

What the OP's friend needs is a Sahara.

Person-walking-over-the-Sahara-Desert.jpg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I drive around using the temp monitoring screens plenty for just normal daily driving. But then I use those daily driving values I've seen to compare to driving in mountains or offroading. Surprisingly 4 lo or 4 high beach driving doesn't raise the trans temp as much as driving up mountain roads.

Here's a little info that may help someone compare their Jeep to.
Today I drove up to the top of Pilot Mountain (Andy Griffith show's Mount Pilot) and the trans temp reached 201 by the time I reached the summit. Beach driving I usually see around 190 after several miles. Air temp was actually hotter at the beach and cooler on the mountain.
Saw the same thing in Moab vs. Ouray... it's elevation. 95 degrees in Moab and I'm running like 195-200 in oil and tranny. 55 degrees in Ouray at over 10k feet and I'm up at a steady 220 with the fan a ripping. The 3.6L engine no likey high altitudes... lol.

OP
OP
berb

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Jeep Wrangler JLU / 2020 Hydroblue Gladiator
Pfffft.... EVERYONE knows that ONLY the Rubicon was designed for ANYTHING off pavement. You are seriously taking your life into your own hands if you take a Sport or Sahara off road. The dealer should have told your "friend" this.
It is a friend. She bought an Islander. I have 2 sports, 1 JLU and 1 JTU

Sponsored

OP
OP
berb

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Jeep Wrangler JLU / 2020 Hydroblue Gladiator
Did she really buy an Islander? How does she like it?

Best,
-Tim
It's her first jeep and she seems to like it. The Islander is just a sport with some bells and whistles.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm a float your boat kind of guy..but to see all that tread get lost on the highway gotta co$t.
We don't exactly drive economy cars. Short of a trailer queen I think everyone's off road rig will see more street miles than trail miles. Moab for instance is 1,100 miles each way. Even wheeling basically all day for 4 days we were there we likely covered 150 miles off road. That makes our bucket list, dedicated wheeling trip ~93% highway miles. Of course 1 bad stuck in a remote location could easily cost hours of time and/or thousands of dollars in damage because the stock 33's don't provide the clearance or traction to run the trails we want to. We are ~18,000 miles into these 37" x-mt's and somewhere between 2-3k of those miles are off road. We still have about 50% of the tread left and I will gladly run just as aggressive and expensive a tire next time, worth every penny in my opinion.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Sahara works just fine on the beach.

IMG_2675.jpeg
Sponsored