First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A Sport will be more than adequate. If it comes with small highway tires, go with a slightly larger all terrain tire on the stock wheels. As said above, do not drive into any water, even just to slpash through it. Salt water has no mercy. Plus, wave action can pull the sand out from under the tires and get you stuck badly very quickly. I even try to avoid wet sand when possible because I don’t want the salt water in it to slash underneath. The packed sand at low tide is easy to drive on and won’t require 4x4. Soft sand probably will. If they are allowed to drive in the dunes there, then decide on mods after the limitations of the Jeep are learned.

If all they want is a beach beater buy a decent running and driving used 4 cylinder YJ or TJ, pull all of the carpet and drain plugs, fold the windshield down and have fun.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Rubicon is overkill for beach-only use. Not just unnecessary, the extra weight is a detriment. You'll be better off with a sport and add nice big balloony aired down tires. The beach is all about tires with a big footprint to float above the sand, not the Rubicon extras.

Also know that the Sport is at least 80% of what the Rubicon is and the Rubicon extras are simply not needed on the beach.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Protection wise, I don't see how the Rubicon would be better (or worse) for loose sand. Weight is fairly negligible and the rubi extras are not geared around sand driving so much. I'd be more concerned with tires than anything else and a wider contact patch should get you the best results.

I haven't tried them so can't comment too much buy for what it's worth, Nitro makes a sand specific tire, the Dune Grappler. The rest of their lineup is great so I'd look into that if the best possible traction is a major concern.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
To revisit my previous comment, they will probably be happiest with any Gladiator for exclusively beach driving. It will be more comfortable at any reasonable speed. And there are so many desert runners out these days, those will all do fantastic on a beach (Gladiator Mojave, Colorado ZR2, Ranger Tremor, Tacoma TRD Pro). They have longer wheelbases, high ground clearance, and more compliant suspensions. They are all designed to (wait for it) drive long distances on sand at high speeds. So they actually end up being pretty dang comfortable at reasonable speeds. Trust me, going down a 70 mile beach gets awfully repetitive after awhile and it is hard for the Wrangler to do it comfortably even with the tires aired down.

If they have to have a Wrangler, the Sport is more than capable. I've driven miles and miles of loose sand beaches in Texas on the stock duelers with hardly an issue. Air down if you need to, carry some recovery gear just in case, watch the tides, don't go to places where you'll be alone, and try not to stop in the sugar. You'll be fine. I'm sure there are horrid loose sugar sand beaches somewhere that might need a massively wide tire academic debate, but I haven't found it yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
berb

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Jeep Wrangler JLU / 2020 Hydroblue Gladiator
If your friend wants to have a Jeep for the beach, may I suggest an "Islander!" Bit more than a Sport S and a bit less than a Rubicon.

Best,
-Tim
what does the Islander offer that the sport doesn't besides cosmetic differences?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Jeeps are not the best sand driving vehicles. Rubicon or sport. But they work.

Rubicons and Sports have the same skid plates. Most people buying the Rubicon think they need it for offroading!. Well the sport can do almost any trail the rubicon can. Your friend doesnt need a Rubicon for beach driving, it is crazy to think that when even a renegade or a compass would do the job.

People seem to be very confused about the trims. A friend told me he was gonna get a Sahara so he wouldnt need to modify it as much as a sport for offroading purposes...

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
The Rubicon is not a beach dominator because of its extra rock crawling abilities. Not that it really matters to anyone other than your friend, a Rubicon is cooler looking than a Sport.

I didn't get a Rubicon for any specific type of offroading. I got it since its more capable overall off the lot and not get into a major project trying to make it more capable for unknown future trail rides. If your friend knows they will only use it for beaches then a sport will be perfect with better than factory tires.

I've driven a Sport with the street tires and I've driven two Rubicons that had more aggressive tires on beaches. The more aggressive tires did perform better overall. The fact that one was a Sport and the others were Rubicon really made no difference.

I do like having the ability to monitor my transmission and engine oil temperatures with my current Rubicon.

Also I do think when your ox is in the ditch, the Rubicon's locking differentials and sway bar disconnect will out perform the Sport.

Just my opinion based on personal experience.

Oh and just one small bit of info. Fast beach driving is not allowed at any I've been to.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
A wider and more aggressive tire will always perform better, especially in deep sand. A 285 is wider than a 245. Any all terrain is more aggressive than a standard lt tire. Wider helps with floatation and more aggressive means more traction. Hard pack, wet sand is a dirt road, thus the guy in the Subaru outback fishing next to you. There's a reason why paddle tires exist, digging down is only a problem if you give up momentum. More traction is always better. If it is a beach only rig, I'd get the sport and upgrade to a wider and more aggressive tire, but stock for stock, the all terrain wins.
Off topic -- but ---you mentioned paddle tires......

Years ago when it was allowed we took our ATVs to the Outer Banks.....My then brand new wife gave me a set of sand paddles for my ATV (an 87 TRX250X)......that gift proved to me I had picked the right mate! LOL

But I digress....

Those paddles were FUUUUUUUUN! Rooster tails 20 feet in the air!!! And the propelled that ATv fast!

Alas -- they locked down non-resident ATV use.....I ended up selling the paddles........but man, memories!

Sponsored

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
But it came that way from the factory and I promised my wife I wouldn't spend money on tires until we got our hardwood floors paid off!
wlt6cdmnizt43lob4lpb6mjl0q9rkm3bt0s47bai&rid=giphy.gif
You need to "accidentally" enter the wrong way into of one of those garages/parking structures with the tire spikes.....

No cho8ice but to get new tires then....and well, may as well upgrade at the same time. ;)
Jeep Wrangler JL Friend wants to buy a jeep to drive on the sand 1618253326204

SmilesPerGallon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
I think huge tires that see anymore than 30% pavement time ridiculous.
I must be a criminal then along with most other people who have jeeps as their DD. I spent at about 60miles round trip everyday for work in the jeep and it gets wheeled almost every weekend. In terms of time offroad it usually about at least 8 hours offroad and 5 hours on road just from driving to work but in terms of miles they definitely see more on the highway than the rocks.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
what does the Islander offer that the sport doesn't besides cosmetic differences?
The one "non-cosmetic" thing the Islander has that the Sport S does not is the silver painted Rubicon wheels, which would accommodate bigger tires. There may be suspension differences as well.

Best,
-Tim

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I must be a criminal then along with most other people who have jeeps as their DD. I spent at about 60miles round trip everyday for work in the jeep and it gets wheeled almost every weekend. In terms of time offroad it usually about at least 8 hours offroad and 5 hours on road just from driving to work but in terms of miles they definitely see more on the highway than the rocks.
I'm a float your boat kind of guy..but to see all that tread get lost on the highway gotta co$t.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Oh and just one small bit of info. Fast beach driving is not allowed at any I've been to.
The PINS limit is 25mph, not particularly fast but the guy in the Gladiator is going to be having a much better time of it than you. Even aired down the Wrangler rides rough at those speeds.

I don't condone driving down the beach like a maniac, it's dangerous and I've narrowly avoided being hit by some jerk screaming down the beach that thought crossing within arm reach of the front of our Jeep was a good idea. I just meant they'll be more comfortable with something built for it.
Sponsored