First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Where in your JLU do you store your Freedom Top Storage Bag?

We travel full-time in our motorhome, flat towing our JL, so I need to store our Freedom Top Storage Bag in our JL and I am struggling to find a suitable location. We don't use our rear seats for passengers often so they are typically folded down to provide extra storage space such as for our folding chairs, toolbox, recovery equipment bag and more. Though I could keep the storage bag here, I find it to be in the way and cumbersome. I am hoping that someone has come up with an innovative, minimal space solution.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I store it by using the velcro straps on the rear seat.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Maybe find a way to strap it to the roll bar? IDK I haven't tried it yet, but I've thought about this too. I was thinking along the lines of a velcro strap (or probably 2) around one of the angled bars on the back. Just brain storming right now, I have no idea if that works out or not.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
….under front passenger's seat? I am gleaning Ron that you mean an unfilled Freedom Top Storage Bag.

If you have the size RV I'm thinking you might, you might just have a vacuum with a hose on board. This said, might you stick the Freedom Top Storage Bag in a large Space bag and shrink the air and living daylights out of the space bag?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Where in your JLU do you store your Freedom Top Storage Bag?

We travel full-time in our motorhome, flat towing our JL, so I need to store our Freedom Top Storage Bag in our JL and I am struggling to find a suitable location. We don't use our rear seats for passengers often so they are typically folded down to provide extra storage space such as for our folding chairs, toolbox, recovery equipment bag and more. Though I could keep the storage bag here, I find it to be in the way and cumbersome. I am hoping that someone has come up with an innovative, minimal space solution.
@Ron_H Ron ;) Many of us don't have this problem with the soft windows storage bag.

Take mine for existence. It's being stored at a MOPAR factory waiting to be delivered to Quadratec, waiting to be delivered to me.

Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Freedom panel storage is the reason I am waiting for Bestop to release their Sunrider for hardtop.

It had been a number of years since I had a Wrangler and I didn't remember how much I hate dealing with these panels. Store it in the bag, vertically attached to the rear seat, and you cut rear window visibility. Store it on the cargo floor and lose precious cargo space.

As much as I like the hard top for Winter time, I cannot wait to stop dealing with those panels.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I finally came up with.

Folding the Freedom Top Storage Bags is difficult due to the two foam positioning pieces and the rigid corrugated plastic spaced board that separates them. These prevent the bag from being folded neatly into a compact size.

To overcome this, I removed the foam placement holders and spacer board thereby enabling the bag itself to be efficiently folded to minimizing it storage space requirement. The holders and spacer board are held into the bag by four plastic friction fit pins that can be pulled straight out.

Next was the issue of a storage location. By cutting the corrugated plastic spacer board in two I was able to place them in the storage cubby below the rear cargo area. With each half spacer board and single foam placement holder on either end of the storage cubby, the tightly folded and rolled storage bag fit between and allowed the lid to be closed. A velcro strap, wrapped around the storage bag, keeps it tight and fitting well into its new stow location.

When needed to store and protect the Freedom Top panels. I simply unfold the bag and place the two foam placement holders with spacer boards inside the bottom corners. The Freedom Top panels fit inside, as before - the split two-piece spacer has no impact on fit or protection.

eder214

First Name
Eder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I finally came up with.

Folding the Freedom Top Storage Bags is difficult due to the two foam positioning pieces and the rigid corrugated plastic spaced board that separates them. These prevent the bag from being folded neatly into a compact size.

To overcome this, I removed the foam placement holders and spacer board thereby enabling the bag itself to be efficiently folded to minimizing it storage space requirement. The holders and spacer board are held into the bag by four plastic friction fit pins that can be pulled straight out.

Next was the issue of a storage location. By cutting the corrugated plastic spacer board in two I was able to place them in the storage cubby below the rear cargo area. With each half spacer board and single foam placement holder on either end of the storage cubby, the tightly folded and rolled storage bag fit between and allowed the lid to be closed. A velcro strap, wrapped around the storage bag, keeps it tight and fitting well into its new stow location.

When needed to store and protect the Freedom Top panels. I simply unfold the bag and place the two foam placement holders with spacer boards inside the bottom corners. The Freedom Top panels fit inside, as before - the split two-piece spacer has no impact on fit or protection.
Ron do you have any pictures? I be interesting in doing the same.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Great idea Ron. I agree pics would be helpful. Thanks for taking the dive on this one!

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
You have a giant motor home ; put it in there .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great idea Ron. I agree pics would be helpful. Thanks for taking the dive on this one!
I just loaded the rear storage area up with my tool chest and other stuff yesterday. If I have my toolbox out in the near future I'll get some pics.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You have a giant motor home ; put it in there .
The idea is to be able to stow the Freedom Top panels whenever the urge strikes while we're out exploring. That's kind of hard to do it they the storage bag is many miles away in our motorcoach.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
We travel full-time in our motorhome, flat towing our JL
That's kind of hard to do it they the storage bag is many miles away in our motorcoach.
Sorry . I didn't notice the mileage distance between full-time towing and many miles away . That's why you need Nav .

Last edited:

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
I have only had my Rubi for 5 days but i'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "corrugated plastic spaced board". Maybe i'm missing a piece in my storage bag but mine just has a cloth flap.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have only had my Rubi for 5 days but i'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "corrugated plastic spaced board". Maybe i'm missing a piece in my storage bag but mine just has a cloth flap.
The "corrugated plastic spaced board" is the piece of plastic that both foam inserts are attached to. If you open your storage bag and look between the twp styrofoam blocks you'll see a black piece of plastic. It is constructed much like corrugated cardboard, hence the terminology.
Sponsored