Sponsored

Freedom top misalignment and squeak?

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
So I removed my freedom tops a couple of times but after putting it back, the drivers side top is squeaking which is driving me nuts.

Also, did anyone else notice that the freedom tops are slightly misaligned? Attached pics.

Ignore the dirty exterior. We’ve had like 100 nor’easters in the last few weeks.

66482EC8-C468-420A-947A-FBD4C6AAEB28.jpeg
22A2646B-AD20-48BF-9C48-FA64D2ABE0A5.jpeg
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I have not noticed that, you getting any noise?

OP
OP
wranglerguyman

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have not noticed that, you getting any noise?
Yeah I’m getting a faint tick/squeak every time the road gets rough. It wasn’t making any noise initially but after removing the freedom panel the first time it started. Think I should take it to a dealer?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Yeah I’m getting a faint tick/squeak every time the road gets rough. It wasn’t making any noise initially but after removing the freedom panel the first time it started. Think I should take it to a dealer?
Try to reset them, and check the lines before you lock them in.

OP
OP
wranglerguyman

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Try to reset them, and check the lines before you lock them in.
I’ve tried a couple of times. I’ll try one more time and if not I’ll take it to a dealer and see what they say. Usually after reinstalling them it goes away but comes back after a bit. Not at a lock point thought. It’s in between the two locks on the left.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@wranglerguyman .. It still has been chilly in NY. You had the freedom panels off in fairly cold weather. The gaskets were more stiff/rigid thanks to the cold and when you put them back on the gaskets may have not laid/conformed lets say properly, and thus the squeak... maybe even affect the alignment. Were this warm weather, good chance there would be no squeak as the gaskets would have conformed better. So, maybe cold related, maybe not..

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
not misaligned for me like I said in another thread. It is noisy but its normal.

OP
OP
wranglerguyman

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
not misaligned for me like I said in another thread. It is noisy but its normal.
I’ll do as fatboy suggested. I’ll wait til it gets warm and I’ll reseat the panels. If it nothing changes then I’ll take it to the dealer. Don’t really care much for the misalignment, it’s just the squeak is annoying.

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting this too - stops if I pop the drivers side clamp off but I don't exactly want to drive like that. I haven't noticed any misalignment but I'll check that as well as remove/reinstall when the weather gets a bit warmer.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I cannot recall the exact product but I am sure there are many. There are weather seal lubricants for sun roofs etc. I had a bad squeak in a sun roof before and used a product to lubricate the weather stripping seals. Issue resolved.

Sponsored

JLU jax

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I can’t help with the misaligned issue but I have had the whole top squeak after I took it off and put it back on. I use a cordless driver to remove and reinstall the bolts. After I heard the squeak, I went back with the ratchet and tightened the bolts and the squeak went away. You may want to try tightening the bolts under the freedom panels. I’ve been taking my panels off just about every day (it’s been in the 70°s) no problems with allignment...

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
One other thing to check - the sun visors can/do rattle and squeak a bit when you get “bumpy”. I put a piece of black weather tstrip between my visor and the top pillar so they aren’t making contact. You could try driving with your sun visor down and see if you still get the same noises. Just a thought..

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
One other thing to check - the sun visors can/do rattle and squeak a bit when you get “bumpy”. I put a piece of black weather tstrip between my visor and the top pillar so they aren’t making contact. You could try driving with your sun visor down and see if you still get the same noises. Just a thought..
This happens on my JLU soft top. The sun visor making a little noise. I also plan to put foam or rubber piece to help.
It won’t belong before we won’t notice, because Jeeps make noise and soon other interior parts and mechanical parts will start making noise.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This happens on my JLU soft top. The sun visor making a little noise. I also plan to put foam or rubber piece to help.
It won’t belong before we won’t notice, because Jeeps make noise and soon other interior parts and mechanical parts will start making noise.
I noticed last night the JL actually has a couple small rubber knobs on the front pillar but they aren’t y’all enough.

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4xe
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but my JLU Sahara just crested 5,000 miles and the hard top squeak where the rear alignment pins are is unbearable. I drive with the latches undone or the radio up. But, if I'm trying to talk to someone I cant stand it. I've already tried re-aligning the tops and tightening/loosening the hardtop. HELP!

Thanks!
Sponsored