Freedom panels and windstopper/tonneau cover combo

Raz65

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hey guys. My new Jl 2 door is coming with a hardtop but I want a summertime option besides going full topless that will give some rain protection. Rather than doing a bimini top with all the straps and possible leaks in the worst spot(windshield area) I was thinking to just use my freedom panels on the front for good rain protection for the front seats. I'm looking at the Mastertop windstopper/ tonneau cover. On sunny days the freedom panels can ride under the tonneau cover out of view.
Not worried about some water running in but wondering if there would be a gap between the back of the freedom panels and the windstopper that would allow rain to pour in.

msp-windstopper-tonneau-combo-jl-2dr-blk-dia-hardtop.jpg
Sponsored

KPersCO

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
This will be my second full summer with a 2 door and still working to finally get a summer setup complete. Due to 2 doors being lower on the R&D list and covid its taken forever. But I'm looking for some more info on the windstopper / tonneau cover options as well so hoping someone can provide us some answers and pictures.

I finally got the header style extended safari bikini from Bestop late last summer and had it rained on quite a few times but I never had any problems with leaks in the front. Before that I just ran the freedom tops like you were planning on, with no issues.

There's currently 3 main options from what I have found from - MasterTop, Bestop, and Rampage. I've heard some complaints that the best top duster cover doesn't come up as close to the back of the front seats as they have on previous generations.
Bestop:
Jeep Wrangler JL Freedom panels and windstopper/tonneau cover combo 1620675901318

It appears the MasterTop option you listed also has the most complete windstopper since it attaches to the sides, which is currently what I'm leaning towards getting as well. All of them attach to the bottom center roll bar in basically the same spot but the freedom tops stop before center bar. With out a bikini the the center bar is going to be exposed and should drain to the top window and cover.

TLDR: here's what I've researched. Looking for more info as well! lol

OP
OP
Raz65

Raz65

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
This will be my second full summer with a 2 door and still working to finally get a summer setup complete. Due to 2 doors being lower on the R&D list and covid its taken forever. But I'm looking for some more info on the windstopper / tonneau cover options as well so hoping someone can provide us some answers and pictures.

I finally got the header style extended safari bikini from Bestop late last summer and had it rained on quite a few times but I never had any problems with leaks in the front. Before that I just ran the freedom tops like you were planning on, with no issues.

There's currently 3 main options from what I have found from - MasterTop, Bestop, and Rampage. I've heard some complaints that the best top duster cover doesn't come up as close to the back of the front seats as they have on previous generations.
Bestop:
Jeep Wrangler JL Freedom panels and windstopper/tonneau cover combo 1620675901318

It appears the MasterTop option you listed also has the most complete windstopper since it attaches to the sides, which is currently what I'm leaning towards getting as well. All of them attach to the bottom center roll bar in basically the same spot but the freedom tops stop before center bar. With out a bikini the the center bar is going to be exposed and should drain to the top window and cover.

TLDR: here's what I've researched. Looking for more info as well! lol
Good info, thanks for that! It appears the Mastertop windstopper is positioned further forward than the Bestop one which would make that my choice. I think I'm just going to get the windstopper and tonneau for now and if I have issues I'll order the bimini as well.
Sponsored