RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Okay. I'll explain it this way, I'm looking for clearance measurements presuming the top is on the CP and the CP is as close to a back wall as possible. Your measurements are relative to the jack, and I'm looking for measurements relative to a back wall. The back window being open definitely throws a monkey wrench into the mix.

I've got a ceiling mounted shelf just above my jeep, so that why I'm asking for more specific measurements. LoL

Here's what I think I can take from your question George

You wish the measurement in blue, marked as "X." But I am unaware of where, as one moves to the right in this below picture, that measurement ends. Perhaps you can specify.

IMG_2287_3.jpg

If you can specify that, later today hopefully, I can get back to you with an answer.

FWIW, I don't store my hard top on the crane. Rather, I lower the boom as far as possible so it takes up a foot print in my garage that is no bigger than its base footprint with the part of the crane under the rig, folded up in the air, as per its design when stored. (These pigeon toed feet must be down, locked, and under the rig when lifting or storing the hard top on the crane.)

I'm fortunate to have an elevated shelf in the back of my garage I sit the hard top on during the warm seasons.
Sponsored

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have everything including ready to cut pvc pipe. Thanks for the points.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Just an FYI if you’re in contact with them. The link on there website to buy from eBay is broken.
@palmor, if the provided means of contacting Dale prove fruitless on your part, do let me know. I'll be happy to call or text Dale on your behalf.

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The issue is the clearance required for the top when it's on the CP and the CP is up against a back wall. The open window creates a twist because it looks like it will prevent the cp frame from reaching the back wall by several inches. So with the top on the cp, the length from the open window to the opposite end of the top is what I'm looking for.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
@palmor, if the provided means of contacting Dale prove fruitless on your part, do let me know. I'll be happy to call or text Dale on your behalf.
Oh, I wasn’t trying to contact them. On their website there is a link to buy the product (from their eBay store). That link doesn’t work :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The issue is the clearance required for the top when it's on the CP and the CP is up against a back wall. The open window creates a twist because it looks like it will prevent the cp frame from reaching the back wall by several inches. So with the top on the cp, the length from the open window to the opposite end of the top is what I'm looking for.
So...open the back hard top window. Go to the very tip of the window and drop a plumb bob to the ground. Do the same thing at the hard top's front most tip, and measure the distance?

I'm glad to help you out if that's what you need, but it sound like another measurement you might be able to do yourself if the first one you requested earlier turned out to be measurable at your end, no?

Another thought....if you close the window as much as possible with it on the shop crane (i.e. in your speak the cherry picker) and hold it down with bungee cords attached to the window and shop crane, it's quite possible that the first thing to hit the back of your garage won't be the window but the place where the boom is angled, or the footprint crossmember of the crane furthest from the vehicle.

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's okay. There were some confirmations I wanted, such as whether indeed the window extends beyond the CP preventing it from reaching a back wall, but again, it's okay. I'll just set up & figure it out. Thanks.

Garrocha21

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
How does this work if your hardtop has the insulation inserts?

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Why are all of RussJeep1's posts missing from this thread?

Sponsored

Garrocha21

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
Why are all of RussJeep1's posts missing from this thread?
A member PM'd me, and stated that russjeep had been banned.
No reason as to why he was banned was given. That member may not have known what the reason was.

I have since ordered a freedom jack, and will post my own reviews of the device in due time.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Let me know how you like it. I am being given a crane next month and am considering the jack accessory rather than a ceiling mounted pulley system,.

TGGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
A member PM'd me, and stated that russjeep had been banned.
No reason as to why he was banned was given. That member may not have known what the reason was.

I have since ordered a freedom jack, and will post my own reviews of the device in due time.

I’d be interested in seeing your review.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
How likely is it to fall and crush my kids? Seem unstable...

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How likely is it to fall and crush my kids? Seem unstable...
My take...you may dislike (or not) the idea of having to purchase an engine crane separately to work with the Freedom Jack...

(and there's a new design of Freedom Jack out that doesn't interfere with headliners...)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fj3-freedom-jack-3-top-hoist.27300/

..and that's fine. Maybe you want a one stop purchase, like with the Top Lift Pro or Hoist-A-Cart. And I think the Top Lift Pro may allow you to store the top and JL in the garage with a few inches less length (not much.)

But that said, physics, not so much my opinion, says that no design is as, let alone more stable. Here's why.

• Engine cranes invariably have pigeon-towed feet that come down when the crane's in use, and can store vertically if you wish. These feet and their large/wide footprint reduce the center of gravity and are positioned under the JL during the device's operation.
  • The new Freedom Jack's (the FJ3's) new design (the thing you buy that connects to the sold separately engine crane) also now features pigeon towed feet. These also reduce the center of gravity.

Sure--try operating the crane with the feet vertical: you're in for a train wreck. But put them down and lock them: I think, respectfully of course @grady2hig , that your concerns are a non-issue. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored