Frame welds all rusted

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
Wanted to know if their is any solution to this.. jeep was always clean in the winter. With having it lifted it looks completely terrible.. any recommendations on a spray to get it back to black? Jeep only has 16k miles my wife's 100k mile Hyundai has / frame in better condition than this.
Thanks

E77354EF-83A3-4BCB-B9EE-F4A6FC7562A1.jpeg

64B3BAC6-CF57-4B85-81BF-D1B7CA3EC08F.jpeg
Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I sprayed my whole chassis and frame with fluid film. Even if you don't live near the salt belt it will help. Anyway wow something is wrong with that just only the welds rusted I thought the whole frame was painted. Maybe using some kind of rust inhibitor remover then using Rust-Oleum. Seems like it's only surface rust.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
OP
OP

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I sprayed my whole chassis and frame with fluid film. Even if you don't live near the salt belt it will help. Anyway wow something is wrong with that just only the welds rusted I thought the whole frame was painted. Maybe using some kind of rust inhibitor remover then using Rust-Oleum. Seems like it's only surface rust.
Yes it's surface rust. It can be wire brushed off in no time and rattle canned if you want a project. Living in Ohio, M
Is Linex an option?
Shouldn't be a problem because they will clean everything before they apply the LineX. Ok, let me rephrase that, they should be cleaning the frame before they apply anything:like: It doesn't hurt to check around and ask. Good luck:rock:

OP
OP

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
Yes it's surface rust. It can be wire brushed off in no time and rattle canned if you want a project. Living in Ohio, M

Shouldn't be a problem because they will clean everything before they apply the LineX. Ok, let me rephrase that, they should be cleaning the frame before they apply anything:like: It doesn't hurt to check around and ask. Good luck:rock:
I will check on the linex option. Im in southern nh. Thanks!

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Those don't look like normal surface rust. I think it will come back again even after repainted with spray paint. Remember these were already painted from the factory, so...

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Each spring, I just clean up everything with a wire brush and hit it with some semi-flat rustoleum or similar. I don't mind and gives me a chance to inspect everything and make sure no issues with loose bolts or wear. I think the welds must have been hot when they painted it or something. They clean up just fine. There are also some spots on the axles where they didn't get paint, so I usually hit those too.

Fluid film or similar has to be applied every single year. To me, that's not different than touching up the paint and making it look nice. I am going to start using fluid film on my non-black or non-painted stuff like my Synergy parts.

Sponsored

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
When I bought my Jeep I went under it for a whole weekend and used POR 15 and a small thin brush and painted over every weld I could see. It dries and gardens almost like concrete. Just figured it would help the porous welds too. My experience with their paint in the past has been the best. I’ve had it about a year now and everything looks good still.

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
Another vote for POR 15; my 13 yr old RAM 3500 looks new underneath, and I live a block from the ocean in NJ.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Those don't look like normal surface rust. I think it will come back again even after repainted with spray paint. Remember these were already painted from the factory, so...
It's slag, to which paint will not adhere. Wire brush + Rustoleum should work. POR-15 is another option.

Personally, I would never Line-X a chassis. If it chips and water gets in between that coating and your frame then you're effed.

I live in CT with salted roads and am not worrying about the surface rust on the slag.
Sponsored