Sponsored

FRAM Ultra @20K Miles

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Changed the rear axle and engine oil today. Here are some photos of the oil filter after 20K miles. There were 4 OCs (5K each) with Rotella Gas Truck on this filter.

@DanW

Enjoy!

20211213_165901.jpg

20211213_165855.jpg

20211213_165845.jpg

20211213_165833.jpg

20211213_165822.jpg
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Changed the rear axle and engine oil today. Here are some photos of the oil filter after 20K miles. There were 4 OCs (5K each) with Rotella Gas Truck on this filter.

@DanW

Enjoy!

20211213_165901.jpg

20211213_165855.jpg

20211213_165845.jpg

20211213_165833.jpg

20211213_165822.jpg
It looks good! Looks like Shell RGT did a nice job, too! Years ago, I had a Pontiac Solstice with a 2.4 Ecotec. It used cartridge filters. I remember the media fraying after only a few thousand miles, so I moved on to other filters that didn't have that issue. This sucker looks better with 20k on it than those did at less than 3k.

The Pentastar twist on it looks no worse than a 5k OCI, either.

I will be running two 5k OCI's on Ultras and if (when) the UOA's look good, I'll go to 3. But this gives confidence that the filters have no trouble holding together for their advertised 20k. Impressive! After tearing one apart and seeing how strong they really are, I'd bet they'd hold together well past 20k.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why? $30 more for oil filters keep you from eating? Buying diapers for kids? Paying house payment? Seriously WHY?
The better question is why not? FRAM Ultras are rated for 20K miles and have an efficiency rating of 99.9% at 20um.

Somehow, I think you think changing them more often is better, so how is it better? What would be different if I changed them more often?

Based upon the countless UOAs that I have done, I can tell you there would be nothing different.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Traditional logic of lubrication is usually the opposite - longer oil change intervals (20K or more) while changing filtration media more frequently (4 or 5K). Why’d you flip it around choose to do the opposite? Just curious.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Fram Ulra is probably the best oil filter on the market right now. But I would have changed at no more than 10k miles. A 20k mile rating is under ideal conditions, I would think. Not worth the risk.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Traditional logic of lubrication is usually the opposite - longer oil change intervals (20K or more) while changing filtration media more frequently (4 or 5K). Why’d you flip it around choose to do the opposite? Just curious.
Until the point where a filter becomes clogged, it becomes more and more efficient and filters more effectively. On a properly running engine, there is very little material being trapped so clogging a synthetic media filter like the Ultra would take double the miles (if not more) for which it is rated.

In the case of RGT, it is not a long drain oil and the TBN was between 1.95 and 2.80 in 5K miles. Therefore, it makes no sense to try and extend it past that OCI.

Thus, I run the filter for its rated mileage and the oil according to the UOA results.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fram Ulra is probably the best oil filter on the market right now. But I would have changed at no more than 10k miles. A 20k mile rating is under ideal conditions, I would think. Not worth the risk.
What is the risk? I done this with multiple Ultra filters on different vehicles and have had zero issues. I am always puzzled by the thoughts around using a filter for its rated FCI.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
What is the risk? I done this with multiple Ultra filters on different vehicles and have had zero issues. I am always puzzled by the thoughts around using a filter for its rated FCI.
For one thing, following the recommended maintenance will help avoid any warranty questions.

I always use the Mopar filter. It may not be the best oil filter, but if the Mopar oil filter causes a lubrication related failure, Jeep is liable. With a non Mopar brand, there could be battle.

I did know of an incident where an ACDelco filter ruptured and the customer lost his engine because of the filter failure. GM replaced the engine, no questions asked. So there's that.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For one thing, following the recommended maintenance will help avoid any warranty questions.

I always use the Mopar filter. It may not be the best oil filter, but if the Mopar oil filter causes a lubrication related failure, Jeep is liable. With a non Mopar brand, there could be battle.

I did know of an incident where an ACDelco filter ruptured and the customer lost his engine because of the filter failure. GM replaced the engine, no questions asked. So there's that.
Meh...that is not a concern for me. The FRAM Ultra has backed media so the chances of rupturing are next to nil and if it did and caused an issue FRAM has a warranty and the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act would be in full play here as well.

I would be concerned about using a cellulose filter like a Mopar for longer than 1 OC because it could rupture, the same for AC Delco. There are only two filters on the market (that I have seen) which have backed media and that is the FRAM Ultra and the Purolator Boss.

@DanW - tore a FRAM Ultra apart a while back:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-to-wring-its-filters-out.49733/post-1218917

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
By the way...... speaking of Fram Ultra filters for the 3.6L... I’ve been having issues finding them lately. Did Fram change the part number? Or is SoCal just weird?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
By the way...... speaking of Fram Ultra filters for the 3.6L... I’ve been having issues finding them lately. Did Fram change the part number? Or is SoCal just weird?
Supply issues. There's probably a bunch of them on a container ship off-shore, sitting.....waiting.

Order from Walmart.com or Amazon. I have a stash of probably 4 of them along with a bunch of Mobil 1 filters I got a few years ago on clearance. I have so many of those I bought my wife a Jeep so I could use them all up.

But I vastly prefer the Fram. The fram has filtered consistently better according to UOAs. And its about 20x as strong. I can pretty easily tear apart the media on the M1 after an OCI. It was fine and there's no issue with it handling the pressures of an engine, but that Fram Ultra was a BEAR to tear apart, even using pliars and vice grips and LOTS of muscle. I was shocked at how hard it was.

I'll ultimately run those M1 filters, but only for one 5k OCI. They just don't filter as well. Not even close.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same part number - XG11665. Likely have to order online. I found a few recently at my local WM, but they are usually out of stock.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Ive used that filter in my Durango with 10K OCI for the last 130k miles. 10K is when the EVIC wants the oil changed so I just change filter at same time. And when I first started with Ultra's they were 10K rated.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you can't find an Ultra, the Tough Guard, or TG11665 has very good filtration, too. Better than nearly all filters on the market. Even the lowly Extra Guard 11665 has better filtration than most premium filters. And they are very cheap.
Sponsored