Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Anyone using this steering stabilizer? I ordered it and didn't realize it doesn't stay compressed. The stabilizer is like a shock where it always tries to fully extend. I haven't put it on the jeep yet but I'm assuming that if it always trying to extend it will make the vehicle pull. Does this sound right?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Anyone using this steering stabilizer? I ordered it and didn't realize it doesn't stay compressed. The stabilizer is like a shock where it always tries to fully extend. I haven't put it on the jeep yet but I'm assuming that if it always trying to extend it will make the vehicle pull. Does this sound right?
Always use TS (Through-shaft) or Neutral Force steering stabilizers as they don't pull your steering to one side or another.

Here is mine with Fox Factory 2.0 ATS with reservoir.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 707924D0-6B97-4DF6-8D08-D7DB9AF22699

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 4FC4936D-D770-4A69-88E0-ABF58E91E960

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 6D7837A8-DADE-4D7A-B48C-9CA48ADC9658

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Always use TS (Through-shaft) or Neutral Force steering stabilizers as they don't pull your steering to one side or another.
So its not faulty? Its just designed to make the vehicle pull to one side? I made the ASSumption that all steering stabilizers are neutral force

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So its not faulty? Its just designed to make the vehicle pull to one side? I made the ASSumption that all steering stabilizers are neutral force
Well, you said it's like a shock, so, no, that's not neutral force, since if you push down on a shock, it will return back up.

The rod has to go through the shock body for it to be neutral force.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Fox 2.0 IFP steering stabilizer and it absolutely does not make your steering pull to one side. I honestly don't think there's enough pressure in that shock body to overcome the friction and weight of the tires, hydraulic pressure of the steering system, and numerous other things to force the steering system one way or the other. Seems like marketing hype (which people have come to believe as truth) to sell a higher priced unit.

Is the ATS better? Yeah probably, heck it better be for the price. But I've never run one and probably won't ever.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, you said it's like a shock, so, no, that's not neutral force, since if you push down on a shock, it will return back up.

The rod has to go through the shock body for it to be neutral force.
Using this logic, a shock at any corner of a Jeep will force that corner of the body up. Sorry, a shock isn't strong enough to overcome the force and pressure of something stronger than itself. Samething with a steering stabilizer, the forces and pressure of the steering system, wheels, tires, etc. are stronger than the pressure of the stabilizer. Therefore the stabilizer cannot pull or push the steering without actual input by the driver through the hydraulic steering system.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Using this logic, a shock at any corner of a Jeep will force that corner of the body up. Sorry, a shock isn't strong enough to overcome the force and pressure of something stronger than itself. Samething with a steering stabilizer, the forces and pressure of the steering system, wheels, tires, etc. are stronger than the pressure of the stabilizer. Therefore the stabilizer cannot pull or push the steering without actual input by the driver through the hydraulic steering system.
LOL, have you ever seen a shock without any force acting upon it?
Yes - literally every shock you buy. They actually come in straps that holds the rod it in place, as soon as you remove the straps, the rods move back out.

Fluid displacement and increased gas pressure inside the shocks pushes the rod out to an equalized state, it's not a strong force obviously, but there is a force.

Next time, push down on a shock, and release, and tell me if the piston or rod moves back to original location.

Litterally on Fox's website:
https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&partnumber=985-02-127
Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 1619489756052

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 1619490212944

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, have you ever seen a shock without any force acting upon it?
Yes - literally every shock you buy. They actually come in straps that holds the rod it in place, as soon as you remove the straps, the rods move back out.

Fluid displacement and increased gas pressure inside the shocks pushes the rod out to an equalized state, it's not a strong force obviously, but there is a force.

Next time, push down on a shock, and release, and tell me if the piston or rod moves back to original location.

Litterally on Fox's website:
1619489756052.png

View attachment 452802
Nah man, never seen a shock expand without any force acting upon it.......of course I have. I've been modifying trucks and jeeps for a long time, so I know very well how things work.

Re-read what I wrote. The shock isn't strong enough to overcome the mechanical and hydraulic steering forces to cause a constant pull on the steering system. I've never run a TS stabilizer, never have experienced this phenomenon of a conventional stabilizer causing a steering pull.

Does a conventional steering stabilizer assist in centering the steering after the driver turns the wheel and is rotating the steering back? Yes, it probably does due to the circumstances explained by Fox (which is returning to it's neutral state, which should be in the middle of the shaft's stroke). But it doesn't cause a constant pull to one side or the other when the vehicle is being driven straight.

The OP asked if the Fox IFP causes a steering pull and it does not. I believe you gave him faulty or biased information and I wanted to ensure the OP received factual information from someone who is using the product he is asking about.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Nah man, never seen a shock expand without any force acting upon it.......of course I have. I've been modifying trucks and jeeps for a long time, so I know very well how things work.

Re-read what I wrote. The shock isn't strong enough to overcome the mechanical and hydraulic steering forces to cause a constant pull on the steering system. I've never run a TS stabilizer, never have experienced this phenomenon of a conventional stabilizer causing a steering pull.

Does a conventional steering stabilizer assist in centering the steering after the driver turns the wheel and is rotating the steering back? Yes, it probably does due to the circumstances explained by Fox (which is returning to it's neutral state, which should be in the middle of the shaft's stroke). But it doesn't cause a constant pull to one side or the other when the vehicle is being driven straight.

The OP asked if the Fox IFP causes a steering pull and it does not. I believe you gave him faulty or biased information and I wanted to ensure the OP received factual information from someone who is using the product he is asking about.
This is obviously a issue with many people, this isn't the first time issues have been raised.

And litterally every major shock manufacture has addressed this issue with a Through-shaft or neutral force design like the Falcon EF (Equal-force) or RE NF Stabilizers.

So pretending this is a non-issue "because you have never felt it" or your lack of understanding of basic science is not a good answer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 1619491344071

"Rubicon Express Neutral Force Steering Stabilizers

Rubicon Express adjustable Neutral Force Steering (NFS) stabilizers are ideal additions to help reduce steering vibration, wear and tear of your steering components, and provide ultimate control for your Jeep's steering. The internal spring neutralizes the gas pressure preventing a push in the direction opposite the shaft. While traditional stabilizers create a non-linear steering response or a push to one side as the shock wants to extend on itself, Rubicon NFS stabilizers offer adjustability and a negative spring inside the stabilizer. This design offsets the force generated by increased gas pressure caused by the shaft displacing fluid inside the stabilizer, allowing for return to center."

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 1619491466917

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Also watch this video of a proper shock being compressed and it expands back up, if yours doesn't, it means it's blown.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
I use the Fox 2.0 IFP steering stabilizer and it absolutely does not make your steering pull to one side. I honestly don't think there's enough pressure in that shock body to overcome the friction and weight of the tires, hydraulic pressure of the steering system, and numerous other things to force the steering system one way or the other. Seems like marketing hype (which people have come to believe as truth) to sell a higher priced unit.

Is the ATS better? Yeah probably, heck it better be for the price. But I've never run one and probably won't ever.

It will absolutely will make it move to one side. If your steering is tight you won't notice it much or even at all. The ones for the jk which i assume is the same one, would make mine cross a full lane in about 10 seconds. If i flipped it, it would push it to the other side. But my steering setup was sub par.

I have this one on my JL. Came on it when i bought it. I will be going with at ATS eventually. I did notice something before i adjusted my steering box, it pulled a little to the left.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Also watch this video of a proper shock being compressed and it expands back up, if yours doesn't, it means it's blown.
Not sure why you think I don't understand how a shock works......I don't need your explanations. Obviously a shock can expand after compression when the force acting upon it is weaker than the pressures inside the shock. Basic physics.

However, when the force acting on the shock is greater than the shocks ability to expand, it can no longer extend. That is my point, again basic physics.

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Running this Fox 2.0 IFP Stabilizer and I have no complaints. Always returns to center after turns.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer IMG_2271

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Not sure why you think I don't understand how a shock works......I don't need your explanations. Obviously a shock can expand after compression when the force acting upon it is weaker than the pressures inside the shock. Basic physics.

However, when the force acting on the shock is greater than the shocks ability to expand, it can no longer extend. That is my point, again basic physics.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer 111

Because the shock’s “neutral” state is with the rods extended out. However that’s not the centre of the shock, this is why when used as a steering stabilizer, it will be installed so the piston valve is at the centre of the shock body so it has equal movement on both sides when you turn. However, this will cause it to pull to the side that wants to extend the rod out, and return to neutral state. With the shock mounted in it's centre position as a steering stabilizer, it is in its compressed state. That is the force acting upon it.

I’m sure you’re a great guy and all. But you don’t have to keep arguing with me, specifically.

Plenty of sources from engineers who designed them, and shops who built them disagrees with you.

I think if you believe there is a huge misconception going on, you should argue with the sources (not me, I’m just a guy explaining what’s out there) so we can all take some notes.

However my experience is in line with what’s out there.

Again, I’m glad that it has worked for you though.

https://shockshop.co.nz/technical/how-shocks-work

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox Shox PS Stabilizer IFP 98524173- Steering Stabilizer C9877078-0CBF-4C97-9D81-3066C001D8B1

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Running this Fox 2.0 IFP Stabilizer and I have no complaints. Always returns to center after turns.
IMG_2271.png
My friend who drives a beat up 1998 Honda Civic also says "no complaints", doesn't mean the experience couldn't be better.

It's your caster that returns your steering back to center, it doesn't mean the stabilizer isn't exerting some sort of a force on it though, as minimal as it may be. It may just be that returning to centre from one side is easier than the other side. Thus, the force is not equal.
Sponsored