Sponsored

Fox 2.0 shocks review - stock height, can you even flex bro?

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
This will be picture heavy, I installed the fox 2.0 0-1.5” shocks on my 2019 JLU rubicon to try to make the ride better for the wife and kids since the 315 E rated coopers are a bit more jarring...

Install is easy, don’t even need to lift the vehicle but it’s easier to at least lift the vehicle to line up the lower shock mount (One side at a time). I fumbled around for an hour the first time til I got smarter.

One note the lower shock crush sleeve on the fox is .2” narrower than the stock shock which will result in you bending the lower shock mount slightly when torquing. I sure as hell wish they included .1” washers for both sides. See pics...

Initial impressions: the shocks were only slightly better than stock when it came to bumps and higher speed wash boards (25 mph)... I tested it out on a dirt road around my house. It also felt kind of boaty like a 90’s Cadillac. There was definitely still body roll and I’ll say it was about the same but coming out of the corner the jeep had compensatory body roll and kind of felt like it was rocking still... this was somewhat disappointing.

After testing for a few days I took it out rock crawling. Holy crap this is where it shines, it allows a stock rubicon to flex out big time.... it also resulted in slight inner fender rub but I was fully bumped out and then some see pics. After doing a lot of crawling, after I drove on pavement the shocks seemed to be less boat like and have less body roll and absorbed pot holes better....
I have a feeling with heavier use the oil warmed up since it was 48 degrees outside and then they felt great!

Interesting by the time I got home 30 min drive they started to feel like they originally did, temp was only 55 degrees outside.

Overall I’m satisfied. I’ll give a followup in about a couple of weeks when it really starts to warm up.

Thank you @Northridge4x4 for the awesome deal! I highly recommend these guys!

BE32F0FA-4D29-411B-A32F-DA495C75E13C.jpeg

FDB9889E-4628-4EEC-9AB2-63B7224D1314.jpeg

EE506976-6E74-42B7-A0DD-0C7E230ED6FC.jpeg

43E42237-916A-46FA-A989-0E893B9E48FC.jpeg

64E93274-FAAC-4C9C-8F9D-781F84D42ECA.jpeg

949BB883-456D-440D-9C86-68C2CF5AAB0B.jpeg

2B52B8F2-136A-4E59-9BC8-72E8F5BA7323.jpeg

B1B4343D-3D9C-423F-83CA-A218E499DB8D.jpeg

8EDBC342-E51A-486C-B490-8E48177697BA.jpeg

C543ADC3-6747-48C8-9469-CA110952E4ED.jpeg
Sponsored

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Wow, that looks like it is working real good @RenoMD!

Glad you like them and glad we could help.

Thanks for the order!

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well here’s a quick update. Picked up the kids from school and the wife from work, it was 69 degrees outside and the shocks handled really well. Most definitely less body roll and not that boat feel after initial install. Not sure if they just needed breaking in or if it was the temperature increase.

I’m super happy with them especially at the price point.

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I’m going to pick some up this weekend and put them in. It would have been nice if fox at least mentioned it in their directions

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yeah I’m going to pick some up this weekend and put them in. It would have been nice if fox at least mentioned it in their directions
You seem to be missing the steel step washers that my foxes came with on the lower mount. They push into the rubber bushing in the shock Shaft mount end. Silver in color.

They were actually a bit wide to fit into the factory lower “U” shock brackets.

Did you get JL specific Fox’s or generic fit?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You seem to be missing the steel step washers that my foxes came with on the lower mount. They push into the rubber bushing in the shock Shaft mount end. Silver in color.

They were actually a bit wide to fit into the factory lower “U” shock brackets.

Did you get JL specific Fox’s or generic fit?
Ah crap I had a feeling. They did not include them. If you get a chance can you snap a pic of what they look like. They are totally JL specific foxes I bought from @Northridge4x4

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic

They were actually a bit wide to fit into the factory lower “U” shock brackets
Bought mine from @Northridge4x4 as well, mine also had no washers included. I ended up using some spare washers I had laying around to fill in the gaps. If anyone has a part number for those step washers I’d appreciate it.

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought mine from @Northridge4x4 as well, mine also had no washers included. I ended up using some spare washers I had laying around to fill in the gaps. If anyone has a part number for those step washers I’d appreciate it.
Me too I would sure as hell love those too. I’ve read multiple people on this forum and others say Fox customer support isn't very good either. @Northridge4x4 is solid though. I Might try them on Monday.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Definitely give us a call! 866-601-5340 and ask for customer service.

Or send a PM with your name and number and we'll call you.

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely give us a call! 866-601-5340 and ask for customer service.

Or send a PM with your name and number and we'll call you.
Hey guys so to close the loop on this I talked to fox customer support and they were surprisingly helpful. At first the fox sales guy Ryan sounded apathetic until he pulled up the shock part numbers and saw that indeed there is new hardware included “now”. Which means those of us whom purchase before and didn’t have the lower shock mount hardware should have them.

It was funny Bc I can tell Ryan from fox was super scripted what he was telling me Bc he was basically reading off the screen probably to not sound super rude which he was in the process of doing when I first started to talk to him.

I talked to Northridge customer support as well to let them know in case others inquire but basically fox didn’t include them for those that purchased when they first came out part numbers 985-24-171 and 172.

Hopefully fox follows through. I’ll update everyone if they do or don’t.

Edit: fox sales rep Jeff contacted me (sounded more experienced) evidently there are upper shock mount spacers as well! Those were not included either. They are mailing them to me today.

Last edited:

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Ah crap I had a feeling. They did not include them. If you get a chance can you snap a pic of what they look like. They are totally JL specific foxes I bought from @Northridge4x4
Sorry, mine are installed so not as visible but here are pictures of a buddies pre-install; so they still have the shipping band around the shocks. But you can see the metal step washers that push into the rubber bushing.

WphQXA0QQxafpCDimCj1Qw.jpg

mHbkNgSLRqi6jCVj4KTJug.jpg

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, mine are installed so not as visible but here are pictures of a buddies pre-install; so they still have the shipping band around the shocks. But you can see the metal step washers that push into the rubber bushing.

WphQXA0QQxafpCDimCj1Qw.jpg

mHbkNgSLRqi6jCVj4KTJug.jpg
Sweet! Thx man! I contacted fox evidently there are supposed to be upper mount spacers too which I never got. They are mailing me both upper and lower spacers.
Sponsored