Sponsored

Four wheel parts forgot to put in differential fluid

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Why would the pinion bearing fail first at low speed around the property? They are pretty beefy roller bearings and only an idiot would put them in without some oil on them.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Why would the pinion bearing fail first at low speed around the property? They are pretty beefy roller bearings and only an idiot would put them in without some oil on them.
Well, it was 4 Wheel Parts. So...

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Wouldn't you be able to tell if those gears were never exposed to oil? I mean if they're bone dry, no oil was ever added. Even if it all leaked out, there would still be oil residue all over the place.

OP
OP
Skyvet

Skyvet

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
UPDATE: I went in there today with just the pic of the damage and talked to the shop manager. He didn't give me a hard time at all. Ordered the parts and will install tomorrow at N/C. I'll haul it down there on my flatbed. While there I am going to have them do the alignment as well as bleed the brakes properly as I had run the system dry of fluid (OMG another fluid issue hahaha) while the calipers were off and now they won't fully bleed without either a scanner or maybe taking the Master off and bench bleeding. As it is currently 113 here and I only have a swamp cooler I figure they can do it for me. Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. Lesson learned--never trust anyone else's work without double checking.

Sponsored

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Awesome to hear that the outcome is going to be in your favor!!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
UPDATE: I went in there today with just the pic of the damage and talked to the shop manager. He didn't give me a hard time at all. Ordered the parts and will install tomorrow at N/C. I'll haul it down there on my flatbed. While there I am going to have them do the alignment as well as bleed the brakes properly as I had run the system dry of fluid (OMG another fluid issue hahaha) while the calipers were off and now they won't fully bleed without either a scanner or maybe taking the Master off and bench bleeding. As it is currently 113 here and I only have a swamp cooler I figure they can do it for me. Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. Lesson learned--never trust anyone else's work without double checking.
Dude, you’re going to let them touch your brakes now? You crazy.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I would definitely not let a 4WP “mechanic” touch my brakes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Skyvet

Skyvet

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I am not sure about other 4WP locations but the one in Bakersfield seems to be competent. This is my first problem that I have ever had with them. And ultimately I feel that the bearing itself may have been defective which would be on Yukon not 4WP. Granted they didn't put in the diff fluid they charged me for and told me they did but, as many have pointed out, it is debatable if they should have put the fluid in the diff in the first place. Given that I literally drove 500 feet before it ate itself I would be more likely to believe a defective bearing. Or maybe the preload was way way too high (hard to imagine that it could have been that far out). In any case I think most shops either would have denied my claim or told me they would charge me labor but not the part. The fact that Bakersfield 4WP immediately and without any argument at all resolved the issue in my favor says a lot for this location.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I am not sure about other 4WP locations but the one in Bakersfield seems to be competent. This is my first problem that I have ever had with them. And ultimately I feel that the bearing itself may have been defective which would be on Yukon not 4WP. Granted they didn't put in the diff fluid they charged me for and told me they did but, as many have pointed out, it is debatable if they should have put the fluid in the diff in the first place. Given that I literally drove 500 feet before it ate itself I would be more likely to believe a defective bearing. Or maybe the preload was way way too high (hard to imagine that it could have been that far out). In any case I think most shops either would have denied my claim or told me they would charge me labor but not the part. The fact that Bakersfield 4WP immediately and without any argument at all resolved the issue in my favor says a lot for this location.
It doesn’t take much to over-torque the pinion on these. Preload is very low and a very narrow tolerance. I would put money on their setup being the issue. I wouldn’t let 4WP put a sticker on my rig. Bleeding brakes is the most important part of the job, definitely not something I would trust in the hands of 4WP. I would consider your differentials a ticking time bomb.
Sponsored

Last edited: