Sponsored

Four door cart + storage cubby

GatorMBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
With kids, a spouse, a dog, and two cats constantly running through the garage, I decided to make my own door cart for my 4 door JL to prevent someone from clipping a door and knocking it over. I did a fair bit of reading and browsing and loved some of the ideas I'd seen. The Jeep community rocks! So I borrowed from them all, plus made some of my own modifications.

• I started with a great idea by this poster, to just use simple PVC pipe, then add wheels.
  • But I also liked the idea of fitted pvc slots to hold the doors snugly, like this poster did with his 2-door (but I would obviously need to adapt for a 4-door). I wanted the PVC to encircle the doors to act as a guardrail from walls, kids, pets.
  • But I didn't like the idea of laying the back doors down length-wise, due to the layout of my garage. I was concerned they might get clipped ... or the cats would just mess with them. So I liked how this poster added some cross-supports to the PVC to have the back doors stand up.
  • Finally, I wanted a storage cubby to store all my "go naked stuff," like doorless mirrors, rain gear, as well as the straps and buckles for my hard top hoist.

The result is this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210327_151217340.MP

Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210322_002100302.MP
Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210322_002026631

Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210327_151209415.MP

When the doors are stored, I throw some cheap $5 Harbor Freight moving blankets over them to keep the cats from treating it like a jungle gym:

Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210327_151429977

=====================================================

Here are the measurements/plans. I (roughly) adapted another poster's plans to convert his 2-door cart to a four door version. Sorry for the cruddy photoshopping.
  • I used 1 inch CPVC pipe, pre-fit it all together, then cemented it together when I was satisfied with the dimensions.
  • I was able to get all of the pipe, elbows and tees from Lowe's, except for the four-way elbow tees, which I had to get from Amazon.
  • I wrapped it all in PVC pipe insulation, which I duct-taped down (and added a little cement underneath).
  • Please note that the top "rail" of PVC is not weight-bearing. It's just a guide to loosely bungee the doors to. The PVC slots do most of the work.
Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210328_160317397
Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby Front Doors - v2

Then I cut up some 2x4s and 1/2 inch plywood, covered the plywood with carpet remnant I had lying around in the attic and added some 3" rubber caster wheels from Lowe's with brakes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210328_160328892

To keep boxes from sliding off the storage cubby on the side, I added three pieces of 1/4 inch PVC pipe and zip-tied on some leftover cargo netting that I had from... who knows where? Found it in a heap in the shed :P Again, this isn't a load-bearing setup, just guides to keep the storage contents from sliding off the cart.

Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210322_002049974

All-in, it was probably about $130-150 in materials... primarily owing to the ridiculous lumber prices in the pandemic. There are probably less-complex/expensive ways to do this, but I'm really happy with the stability and protection.

Also, bonus pic, because my JL is gorgeous naked (albeit dirty b/c she just went down dirt roads to the springs with three boys in tow):
Jeep Wrangler JL Four door cart + storage cubby PXL_20210328_161634233
Sponsored

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Thanks. You guys may or May not have a product featured in one of these shots. Love the headliners. 😁
👀 I'm glad you love them!

OP
OP
GatorMBA

GatorMBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I saw a surfboard are you in California LOL
Nah, that's actually a tandem kayak. We live in Central Florida, surrounded by lakes and rivers and +/- 1 hour to either coast. :)
Sponsored