Sponsored

Found Something New... optional Tailgate Reinforcement has flag / antenna mounting hole

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Your shop obviously cares very little about your safety...mounting a min. 8.5 on a 7.5 rim is risky.

Load rating should have almost nothing to do w the matter
See? I knew you did care, just needed a minute. Lol
And here's a like for you in return.

I'd be very interested in getting a response from discount tire on the matter. They have 7.5" width as the minimum required for C rated 315's on their product page.

Have a great day, Noah!
Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
See? I knew you did care, just needed a minute. Lol
And here's a like for you in return.

I'd be very interested in getting a response from discount tire on the matter. They have 7.5" width as the minimum required for C rated 315's on their product page.

Have a great day, Noah!
You know what my new found friend, I may be wrong here.(surprising I know lol)

Attached are the ko2 specs c rated.

States 8-11 wide...BUT I dont entirely understand "measured" rim width?

That said, if the minimum is 8" wide then there may be no issue mounting on 7.5(close enough where its tolerance should be comfortable)
Screenshot_20191024-092256_Chrome.jpg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You know what my new found friend, I may be wrong here.(surprising I know lol)

Attached are the ko2 specs c rated.

That said, if the minimum is 8" wide then there may be no issue mounting on 7.5(close enough where its tolerance should be comfortable)
Screenshot_20191024-092256_Chrome.jpg
Something's definitely off, I just pulled up the product page on Discount Tire Direct for the bfg 315/70-17 ko2 C rated, and it lists the width range as 7.5 - 11. Strange, very strange!

Edit to add: bfg 37x12.5-17 ko2 D rated has 7.5 - 11.5 wheel widths

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Something's definitely off, I just pulled up the product page on Discount Tire Direct for the bfg 315/70-17 ko2 C rated, and it lists the width range as 7.5 - 11. Strange, very strange!
Thanks for the input @Headbarcode & @¤|||||||¤ !

I've been following your dialog with interest. I would LIKE to mount the 315/70-17 KO2s on the stock wheels but the 8" min rim width concerns me. I'm one of those who like things to be within spec... even if it's right at the limit... but if it's within spec then I'm good with it. I don't understand the disparity between the BFG specs and DT requirements. But it seems there are many out there running these tires on stock rims without problem.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
You're absolutely right, I failed to include there being some fender liner rub at full flex when running 35's on stock suspension. And yes, the tire drags a bit on the mopar steel bumper, which I don't like because the body moves independently from the frame mounted bumper. There shouldn't be any contact between the two.

I just got the final pieces in for a 2" lift with all control arms, track bars, and steering linkages. That'll take care of the rub.

A week or so after the 315's went on, I upgraded to the Teraflex alpha HD carrier to get the tire off the bumper. I used the highest available holes for the wheel studs to keep 37's as an option for the future. I spy the same rear camera shield in your second pic. Really is a great product.

Have a great day, Michael!

Pretty much the same process I went thru..
I put a 1.5” lift with fox shocks, and the alpha HD by teraflex (which I agree is an really just perfect) .. I flex fin off-road, my sensors work, and it looks awesome.. was all worth it .. but 35s due take some adjustment

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input @Headbarcode & @¤|||||||¤ !

I've been following your dialog with interest. I would LIKE to mount the 315/70-17 KO2s on the stock wheels but the 8" min rim width concerns me. I'm one of those who like things to be within spec... even if it's right at the limit... but if it's within spec then I'm good with it. I don't understand the disparity between the BFG specs and DT requirements. But it seems there are many out there running these tires on stock rims without problem.
I'm one of the few that really like the look of the factory upgraded wheels, the black 5-spoke with machined lips. I've been running bfg 315/70-17's for about 5000 miles now, and haven't had a single issue both on road at 30-32 psi and off road at as low as 15 psi. I also don't use wheel spacers. If a wider wheel that tickles my fancy doesn't come along by spring time, I'll probably end up putting a set of bfg 37x12.5-17's on the same wheels since they are just taller, not wider. My only foreseeable issue with that would be rub at full turn lock. A little loss of turning radius from adjusting the steering stops would be ok, but I wouldn't want to lose too much.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I'm one of the few that really like the look of the factory upgraded wheels, the black 5-spoke with machined lips. I've been running bfg 315/70-17's for about 5000 miles now, and haven't had a single issue both on road at 30-32 psi and off road at as low as 15 psi. I also don't use wheel spacers. If a wider wheel that tickles my fancy doesn't come along by spring time, I'll probably end up putting a set of bfg 37x12.5-17's on the same wheels since they are just taller, not wider. My only foreseeable issue with that would be rub at full turn lock. A little loss of turning radius from adjusting the steering stops would be ok, but I wouldn't want to lose too much.
This is from BFG site
20191024_124336.jpg
20191024_124351.jpg

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
My entirely unsubstantiated SWAG is that the posted dimensions are obtained while the tire is mounted on a 9.5" wide wheel. Theoretically the technical dimensions could change slightly based on the wheel width. (Sorry, I just can't bring myself to say "rim")

Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
My entirely unsubstantiated SWAG is that the posted dimensions are obtained while the tire is mounted on a 9.5" wide wheel. Theoretically the technical dimensions could change slightly based on the wheel width. (Sorry, I just can't bring myself to say "rim")
Yep.....you just took it there lol

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
If they were serious about 35's without any mods, they should have made the wheels wide enough to fit the BFG KO2 per spec. I know a lot mount them even though the wheel is 'technically' too narrow... I mean c'mon.
I TOTALLY agree!

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Your shop obviously cares very little about your safety...mounting a min. 8.5 on a 7.5 rim is risky.

Load rating should have almost nothing to do w the matter
Very true. I also called Nitto and spoke with 2 of their reps. I was told that mounting their 35” x 12.5” x17” Ridge Grapplers, which call for a minimum 8.5” wheel, on the stock Rubicon wheels, which are only 7.5” wide, would void their warranty on the tires.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
(Sorry, I just can't bring myself to say "rim") Yep.....you just took it there lol
Back in the ‘70’s, “rims” are what we referred to as outer chrome pieces that snapped on to the outer “rim” of the wheel. It basically complimented the “hubcap” that was the center section.

But, I guess like the “pound” sign / “tic tack toe” sign is now referred to as a “hashtag“, terminology changes. Remember how the last meal of the day used to be referred to as “supper” and dinner occurred between breakfast and the last meal of the day?

But to me... it’s a “wheel” that the tire is mounted to, not a fuc*ing rim. Lol!
Sponsored