First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Yep and did you notice that the initial picture is of a JK and then it fades into the JL.
.....and a little 1941 light comes on. !
Sponsored

CrashAndBoom

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Jl Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
so was installing some lights yesterday and noticed on the middle area between the windshield wipers there is sandals icon and I think it is for drying your sandals in the sun!! Never noticed it tell yesterday! lol ;)
I was wiping the hood down yesterday and noticed them too...I actually did a double take...at first I thought the plastic was messed up...lol..and in keeping the integrity of this thread i just went out and looked for the keyhole!!

Outlaw

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1992 YJ Wrangler, 1995 F350 Powerstroke, 1994 Ford Bronco
I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being a standard feature on the earlier '90s TJs.
My '97(first year) TJ had it.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Uhm...it’s in the manual
It has a manual TOO??? :surprised:

PS ~ I did find the console lock this weekend after only owning it for 7 months... :facepalm:

Sponsored

Go4aRyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, FJ Cruiser, JLUR
I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being a standard feature on the earlier '90s TJs.
It was on my 97 sport as well. No clue if it was part of some option package.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
gave it a whirl, seems my Mercedes key unlocks it, as does a small screwdriver, was going to try tooth pics but reconsidered....

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ok so not all of you will be as surprised as i was to find this but i always thought how nice it would be to have a locking center council like the JK. In the JL the lock is not as obvious because it took me 6 months to find it :facepalm:. I don’t know if it’s standard on every trim model but my Sahara has it. It’s just much smaller than the one on the JK and it’s kind of to the side so not as visible lol.p
This is hilarious because my gf always says "council" or maybe "counsel" (who knows) and I always correct her it's console, which of course only makes her do it more so it's a running joke at this point

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR WHITE, 2016 KL WHITE LTD, 2014 YAMAHA SX190
Wow I have just surpassed a year and never noticed it, thanks man! :like:
Ditto, just past a year, 22k miles and never noticed it. Not sure if that says more about me or Jeep. Rhetorical question. :)

I might only use it to keep my son from eating all my gum.

Milw jeeper

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU, 2012 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Operating Engineer 1st Class
I was wiping the hood down yesterday and noticed them too...I actually did a double take...at first I thought the plastic was messed up...lol..and in keeping the integrity of this thread i just went out and looked for the keyhole!!

"wiping down the hood" isn't that a sin? I always thought the next river crossing or water hole was the only way a Jeep was washed and rinsed off. .

Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
My '98 was
MY TJ had a factory locking center console as well.
locking. I am pretty sure it is a standard feature on Jeeps since '97, possibly earlier.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

A02A44FB-8441-426C-B68A-4DC48E1BB3AE.jpeg
Ok so not all of you will be as surprised as i was to find this but i always thought how nice it would be to have a locking center council like the JK. In the JL the lock is not as obvious because it took me 6 months to find it :facepalm:. I don’t know if it’s standard on every trim model but my Sahara has it. It’s just much smaller than the one on the JK and it’s kind of to the side so not as visible lol.p
And this, folks, is why they give us User Manuals. :) Seriously, I've never cracked my user manual yet, either, totally just kidding I keep finding stuff out after 35K miles, mostly with electronic tasks I thought were lost in the JL but are just hidden.

I confess I did watch YouTube videos installing the soft top, the instructions that came with the OEM top were useless!

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
I had a console ripped apart in a previous Wrangler. It's appreciated but I probably will not use it either. I can't believe FCA thought of a locking console and not a locking gas cap or hood lock. Actually I am sure they gave it through consideration. The bean counters probably figured a extra couple of hundred bucks for locking hoods and gas caps via Mopar accessories. lol.
Actually, what if the lock on your gas tank got stuck and you were stranded. Or if there was some engine trouble and the lock on your hood was stuck. This could lead to lawsuits. I bet that is more of the reason why.

CRAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
A02A44FB-8441-426C-B68A-4DC48E1BB3AE.jpeg

Well I appreciate you pointing this out. I just found my SPORT S JLU has it. It only took 12 months.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Actually, what if the lock on your gas tank got stuck and you were stranded. Or if there was some engine trouble and the lock on your hood was stuck. This could lead to lawsuits. I bet that is more of the reason why.
You are way more likely to get stranded by a FCA QC issue then a defective locking gas cap. lol.

The exterior hood latches are probably tradition since all Wranglers in the past have had them. I get that.

I doubt lawsuits are it. They offer a factory Mopar locking gas cap you can order from the dealer. FCA also has had locking hood locks in the past and it is planned for the JL. Plus locking gas caps and hood locks are on other FCA vehicles.

The locking hood latch and locking gas cap is definitely a money grab by FCA in my humble opinion.
Sponsored