Sponsored

Forward collision warning (FCW) and automatic emergency breaking (AEB) malfunction??

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Anyone aware of any TSB's for FCW Active Braking? I have an '18 JLUR and do not have this function however a good buddy of mine has a 19/20 JLUS and has had this trip unexpectedly a few times once on the highway at speed.... The kicker... He has a manual and the f&*king thing stalled out on him during the hard stop sequence..... First things first, I indicated to him that the active braking could be turned off whilst the warning left on which I think he may run until he can have the system checked out.... I also advised him to check the front radar transmitter to makes sure it was free of debris, as these events occurred without anything nearby... Anyone else experience this in such an extreme case? the idea of a stall on the highway unexpectedly would be enough reason for me to pack an extra few pairs of "drawers". My only strong advice was to get that thing into a dealership for review ASAP, anyone with more info it is much obliged.
Iā€™m pretty sure you cannot fix this. This is Jeeps technology of their safety system. It isnā€™t on par with whatā€™s on the market

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I have mentioned it to the dealer, it goes under the can not duplicate and we will make a note of it!

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
When someone goes into a catastrophic disaster is probably when theyā€™ll remove the active brake assist or have engineers revisit their formula for engaging the brakes

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
WOW!!! With a fault like that - manual owners beware. At least with an auto someone can accelerate quickly and try and correct and evade a rear end collision BUT with a manual and stall restart..... this is a critical issue FCA-Peugeot should be aware of. Hopeful the dealership goes beyond the typical star case BS for this one when he visits.

Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Also, when the people say the brakes are engaged, like legit, the wrangler "Floors" the brake pedal, and goes into a hard stop before you're able to gas it again.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I would have opted out of this package had I known.

none the less I do value the active cruise control, pretty sweet but I could have saved $799
Me too.

The only reason I got the Advanced Safety Group was for the Forward Collision Warning. I turned it off for now, I donā€™t want any surprises. I think Iā€™ll leave it on the light sensitivity setting, Iā€™d like to use the thing since I paid for it.

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Happened to me twice when there was something there but no danger of hitting anything and twice when there was nothing there. Definitely a shock when it kicks in.

The first time, auto park engaged too, so I got stuck in the road until I figured out what was going on.

The last time I was at a drive thru accelerating away from the order window with nothing in front of me. I wasnā€™t properly back in my seat either after hanging out the window trying to order food. I was only doing about 10mph but I still ended up tweaking my back. Itā€™s much more of a shock to the system when there is nothing there and youā€™re totally not expecting it. At least it happened before I got my food or else it could have been a french fry disaster.

As far as I knew auto braking only worked on the autos and only up to 42mph. With a manual I guess it would have to happen with adaptive cruise engaged. Thatā€™s never happened to me. Iā€™ve gotted forward collision warning go off randomly on the highway with adaptive cruise on, but it never slammed on the brakes. That would be properly scary. Could easily send you into a guardrail or another car. Fingers crossed, I never experience that!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all - has this ever happened to anyone: I was driving in a parking garage this morning, no bad weather, etc., and all of a sudden the FCW alert sounded, and then my JLUR automatically slammed on the breaks and the vehicle literally screeched to a halt. Nothing was in front of the vehicle. It was pretty startling. And nothing bad happened, but as we can imagine, it could have been much different if someone was driving behind me...
My 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT used to do it whenever I drove spiritedly on a twisty mountain road. The sight of the mountain behind a tight turn would freak out the forward collision warning system and send it into a panic attack.

Thatā€™s the main reason I didnā€™t want it on my JL.

Modern electronics vs old mountain
cat=107&_nc_ohc=V3l7-dMxGWIAQldZbwsYSQRSKFTihBrSQj6wyNXx6FzVPr8bH3AXfFZfQ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Last edited:

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Happened to me twice when there was something there but no danger of hitting anything and twice when there was nothing there. Definitely a shock when it kicks in.

The first time, auto park engaged too, so I got stuck in the road until I figured out what was going on.

The last time I was at a drive thru accelerating away from the order window with nothing in front of me. I wasnā€™t properly back in my seat either after hanging out the window trying to order food. I was only doing about 10mph but I still ended up tweaking my back. Itā€™s much more of a shock to the system when there is nothing there and youā€™re totally not expecting it. At least it happened before I got my food or else it could have been a french fry disaster.

As far as I knew auto braking only worked on the autos and only up to 42mph. With a manual I guess it would have to happen with adaptive cruise engaged. Thatā€™s never happened to me. Iā€™ve gotted forward collision warning go off randomly on the highway with adaptive cruise on, but it never slammed on the brakes. That would be properly scary. Could easily send you into a guardrail or another car. Fingers crossed, I never experience that!
I am not completely sure of all variables at time of occurrence, my buddy told me about the result and it properly freaked me too and wanted to be sure I brought notice here for others and see if anyone knew off-hand whether a TSB existed. So unsure whether it was during ACC use or his speed but only that it happened with nothing in front of him on the highway, locked him up (brakes) and left him in a stall situation. When he described it to me it left me with a ā€œpulled muscleā€ from the full-force-butt-pucker-clench-reaction I had.

Sponsored

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Iā€™m surprised to read a lot of this. I have mine and and I have the active braking option selected however Iā€™ve never experienced the emergency braking. I will get the occasional loud warning, usually in two different circumstances. First is if Iā€™m coming up to a line of cars without slowing down but know Iā€™ll be heading into a left turn lane and the second is during torrential downpours. I have my sensitivity set to medium. I have thought about the whole slam on the brakes manual transmission thing but how close do you have to get for this thing to hit the brakes? Makes me wonder if those of you having this trigger on you start to brake super late because as far as I know, itā€™ll only kick on automatic braking if youā€™re still on the gas or coasting and closing quickly. If you have any pressure on the brake, no matter how close you come, it wonā€™t brake for you because the purpose of this feature is to ease the damage in an accident, not prevent it (as in a full stop Subaru or Volvo).

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Same here. I keep active breaking off but have had the warning go off multiple times in normal conditions. Must be a Jeep thing!!
Itā€™s an FCA thing. Weā€™ve had it happen a handful of times with our Pacifica.

Part of the reason why I didnā€™t include it in my order. That and the big black box behind the rear view mirror on such a small windshield.

The adaptive cruise is amazing though for long trips, but we will use the mini van for those trips.

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Yep - this happened to me too. The JLU is AFRAID OF SHADOWS!!!

For background I have a ā€™19 JLUS and ordered the Advanced Safety Group precisely so I could have the Forward Collision Warning. Iā€™ve had the FCW set to the medium sensitivity with the active braking onā€¦until recently. On at least 5 occasions, the FCW system has activated when approaching harsh shadows while driving (once in a parking deck, where it automatically stopped for me), and the other four times at speed when going under overpasses.

Once at lower speed when approaching an underpass, it activated the braking, and the most recent being this past weekend when I was at full 70 mph speed.

This most recent time, I took my foot off the gas immediately when it sounded the alarm, so no braking happened, but it has scared the crap out of me, so I set it to warning only.

Iā€™m worried that the FCW will activate and actually cause someone to rear end me. Is FCA working on this? @JeepCares - please advise.

I feel like I paid $$$$ for a feature that I canā€™t use now.

Salvajav

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 4 doors Moab Edition, 2ā€ Mopar lift, 35ā€tires, One touch Sky power top, Gladiator front camera.
I have to say...that I use every single day the Adaptative Cruise Control since almost a year, no matter if is raining or not and just loved it!
Mine works incredible!

Have a great day all!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yep - this happened to me too. The JLU is AFRAID OF SHADOWS!!!

For background I have a ā€™19 JLUS and ordered the Advanced Safety Group precisely so I could have the Forward Collision Warning. Iā€™ve had the FCW set to the medium sensitivity with the active braking onā€¦until recently. On at least 5 occasions, the FCW system has activated when approaching harsh shadows while driving (once in a parking deck, where it automatically stopped for me), and the other four times at speed when going under overpasses.

Once at lower speed when approaching an underpass, it activated the braking, and the most recent being this past weekend when I was at full 70 mph speed.

This most recent time, I took my foot off the gas immediately when it sounded the alarm, so no braking happened, but it has scared the crap out of me, so I set it to warning only.

Iā€™m worried that the FCW will activate and actually cause someone to rear end me. Is FCA working on this? @JeepCares - please advise.

I feel like I paid $$$$ for a feature that I canā€™t use now.
Hi JZ,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. We do handle things on a case by case basis. Since we are not mechanically trained, we do rely on our dealer's in the field to address functionality of features. We would be happy to document this for you so that it is readily available for review. Feel free to send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares
Sponsored