Sponsored

Forty Years Ago Next Week

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Came across a few pics of my first offroad vehicle. One of the original Toyota 4x4 pickups. In 1980 Toyota wanted to get into the small truck 4x4 market that was booming at the time, so instead of starting from scratch, they just took their Land Cruiser, removed the body, scaled the frame and drivetrain down, and plopped their small truck cab and bed on it. Turned out to be a fantastic offroad machine. The backside of these pictures are dated March 1981.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week Toyota4x4

We didn't do much rock crawling back then, but did a fair amount of what we called "boony bashing" which was mostly running the power line trails and getting in deep swampy mud. That's me with the dark hair.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week ToyotaJohn

That Toyota took everything I threw at it, and at times even pulled out the bigger Ford F-150 4x4's we'd go offroading with.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week ToyotaKid

I probably won't be taking my JL "boony bashing" as much as we did back in the day, but it's nice to know I can if the urge strikes.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I always liked those trucks. My step-dad still has his (also blue) that was his dad’s since new. It’s cool.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That was the precursor of Toyota Hilux. Not a particularly handsome truck these days, but still widely respected around the world for its durability.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week 1614160657029

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week 1614160846630

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My side bar pic is my first, new in '65 CJ5 "Tuxedo Park"!! 27 Jeeps since then!

Boy am I feelin' old and broke!!!! LOL

Go Jeep!!!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Came across a few pics of my first offroad vehicle. One of the original Toyota 4x4 pickups. In 1980 Toyota wanted to get into the small truck 4x4 market that was booming at the time, so instead of starting from scratch, they just took their Land Cruiser, removed the body, scaled the frame and drivetrain down, and plopped their small truck cab and bed on it. Turned out to be a fantastic offroad machine. The backside of these pictures are dated March 1981.

Toyota4x4.jpg

We didn't do much rock crawling back then, but did a fair amount of what we called "boony bashing" which was mostly running the power line trails and getting in deep swampy mud. That's me with the dark hair.

ToyotaJohn.jpg

That Toyota took everything I threw at it, and at times even pulled out the bigger Ford F-150 4x4's we'd go offroading with.

ToyotaKid.jpg

I probably won't be taking my JL "boony bashing" as much as we did back in the day, but it's nice to know I can if the urge strikes.

Best,
-Tim
Toyota used to design absolutely beautiful trucks, their design language definitely took a giant proverbial dump in recent years. Imagine if they kept with those designs and still selling now they'd have a cult following.

I've seen some spectacular restoration jobs on these trucks, like this one below.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My side bar pic is my first, new in '65 CJ5 "Tuxedo Park"!! 27 Jeeps since then!

Boy am I feelin' old and broke!!!! LOL

Go Jeep!!!
My next door neighbor had a babysitter with your same original Jeep back in the late 1960's. She would take all us kids out for ice cream on hot summer days. Her's never had the soft top on it that I remember, but I distinctly remember the bright red color and the black windshield frame.

When I read RagTopDeluxe's reply, I appreciated his words, but when I realized that his step-grandfather bought a new 1980 Toyota 4x4 the same time I did, I started feeling pretty old too.

Ha!!!

Best,
-Tim

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota used to design absolutely beautiful trucks, their design language definitely took a giant proverbial dump in recent years. Imagine if they kept with those designs and still selling now they'd have a cult following.

I've seen some spectacular restoration jobs on these trucks, like this one below.
I mean, that was like a lifetime ago, but there is a part of me that wishes I still had it, having been stored in a climate controlled barn over the last 40 years. It was a fantastic offroad toy that simply went anywhere, due to the Land Cruiser hardware and that fact that it was light as a feather. One serious issue they had was the bodies seemed to be made out of old tin beer cans. Very thin metal that would rust thru just looking at it. If they made replacement bodies, where you could just strip it down to the frame and running gear and pop on a fresh top, they could last forever.

Best,
-Tim

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Those old Toyotas were fantastic trucks. I sure wish someone would build a simple and basic off-roader like that again.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH

Toyota4x4.jpg

ToyotaJohn.jpg

ToyotaKid.jpg

Best,
-Tim
Awsome memories! The small 4x4 trucks of the 80's and 90's were great for off-roading. I bought a '86 Chevy S10 when I graduated high school. Traded the '86 in for a '90 and the '90 for a '94. I still have the "94 S10 ZR2. It is one of the funnest trucks I've owned and couldn't bear to get rid of it when I needed a family truckster.

Jeep has an opportunity to blow the small 4x4 pickup truck wide open with the J6. There are thousand of us middle aged past raising kids guys that would love to relive those really fun and cool days of yesteryear. We don't need a crew cab with tiny bed truck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week 1986 Chevy S10 4x4
Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week 1990 Chevy S10 4x4
Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week 94 S10 ZR2-01

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week Jeep J6 Fast

Jeep Wrangler JL Forty Years Ago Next Week jeep-gladiator-j6-co-6-2_1600x0w

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Came across a few pics of my first offroad vehicle. One of the original Toyota 4x4 pickups.
Thanks for posting this Tim. It sure brought back memories. Mine was sand colored and also had white spoked wheels. My wife called it Buster Baby Truck because it made a gurgling sound for a minute or so right after it was parked. :)
Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd buy a J6 (if Jeep ever put it into production) in a heartbeat.

It's not the vehicle for everyone, but I loved having a super capable 4x4 that was extremely lightweight (Curb Weight approx 3100 lbs). If you follow Matt's Off-Road Recovery on YouTube, he is regularly talking about how important lightweight-ness is to recovering vehicles in that Utah sand. I found it also a huge advantage when pulling out heavier F-150's in the mud we used to play in. And for just not getting stuck.

Best,
-Tim

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My next door neighbor had a babysitter with your same original Jeep back in the late 1960's. She would take all us kids out for ice cream on hot summer days. Her's never had the soft top on it that I remember, but I distinctly remember the bright red color and the black windshield frame.

When I read RagTopDeluxe's reply, I appreciated his words, but when I realized that his step-grandfather bought a new 1980 Toyota 4x4 the same time I did, I started feeling pretty old too.

Ha!!!

Best,
-Tim
Worse yet, it was my grandfather who bought it. Dad still has it.

My brother had a yellow one and I loved driving it when he was out of town.
Sponsored