First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I thought the first burring jeep pic was a joke, but maybe not. This thread is becoming a cautionary tale.
Yeah, not the smartest thing I ever clicked on to read while eating dinner. 🤢
Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Sorry if my reaction was similar to the time my wife called and said “the roomba hit dog poo”
That's when you say "see! we should have gotten the high-clearance roomba, you never listen to me..."

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
^^^ This is the only option!

Use pet carpet cleaner when you pull it out to clean, it has odor eliminators and works wonders. Febreeze is also highly recommended, the spray bottle version.
Drive it with no top and doors for a week or month or two. It will be fine.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
All of the above plus one more trick I learned from a flight attendant. Carpet comes out and in easy. Clean. Dry. Then take DRY coffee grounds and pour them on the area. Leave over night. Vacuum up. One of my sons friends puked all over 3rd row of my old Honda Pilot. It was horrendous. The coffee trick did the trick for me. Apparently this is something old school flight attendants use when people puke in planes I guess.
I hope you use cheap coffee - that stuff is getting crazy expensive, just like everything else

JSBean18

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I would suggest getting Arm & Hammer carpet cleaning designed for pets and scrub your carpet with that. I accidentally left milk in my vehicle once in the summer time years ago, and it spoiled. Trust me this stuff helps the smell!

Sponsored

Lithics

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Ozone generator...100%. Smaller commercial grade for the win. Kills anything organic in your rig and eliminates odors entirely. Put it your rig, plug in, turn on, close the door and leave it for 24 hours. When you're ready, unplug the device from the wall first, open the door(s) while holding your breath and just walk away for a half an hour or so to let it air out entirely...ozone is very bad for your lungs. I can tell you definitively that this works. If there are organic chunks in the carpet or whatever, you still need to wash that out properly, preferably first, but these are used commercially to completely rid cars of odors including cigarette smoke from people who smoked in their vehicles for years and years. If you need two goes at it, it's worth it... No need to pull or replace carpet, no fake odor cover-ups, etc.

**Edit - these are great for other uses as well. If you pick one up, I recommend one that runs on AC power...the 12v versions aren't bad, but take much longer.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So, I've cleaned the carpeting and it is sitting outside the car. I've kept all of the doors and the back window open all day. So far it seems to be ok inside now. I'll close it all up and drive around a bit to see if it's been aired out enough. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The carpet is hanging outside until it dries DIES.
There, I fixed that for you.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I might. the carpet is the least of my worries. I've got it out and if it still stinks, I'll just try to get a replacement. I'm worried if the stench embedded in the rest of the fabric.
Yeah, I'd be a bit concerned about that too. Febreez everything that's fabric, (seats and carpet) might help.

Lithics

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Do NOT use the ozone generator inside of the Jeep it will eat the door nets Live rubber and leave them a saggy mess. If willing to sacrifice door nets ozone will work.
Damn, really? Have used one in three of my previously owned vehicles with no issues at all. A friend owns a detailing business and uses an ozone generator all the time. I wonder what it is about the door nets... 🤔

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yeah, not the smartest thing I ever clicked on to read while eating dinner. 🤢
Yeah, I'm thankful I don't have the smellanet service.

Sponsored

KELove

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, I bought a pack of frozen salmon from Costco and somehow it got overlooked while emptying the back. It defrosted and some liquid got on the carpet in the back on the right side. I've been trying to soak it up with baking soda, but I'm worried that it may have dripped under the carpet. Can I remove that carpet piece in the back of the 2019 JL Unlimited that goes along the side over the right wheel well? I'm afraid to remove it and find that it is a nightmare to put back. Is it just tucked in or is it attached somehow?

Oh and yes... it smells as bad as it sounds. I left all of my windows open last night hoping to air it out a bit.

IMG_5187resized.jpg

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, really? Have used one in three of my previously owned vehicles with no issues at all. A friend owns a detailing business and uses an ozone generator all the time. I wonder what it is about the door nets... 🤔
Granted i went with the idea of if a little is good then a lot is well turns out not always better. We usually ozone our hunting clothing but do not put anything with elastic in them it destroys that too.

20211018_200429.jpg

Lithics

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Granted i went with the idea of if a little is good then a lot is well turns out not always better. We usually ozone our hunting clothing but do not put anything with elastic in them it destroys that too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help 20211018_200429
Thank you for this insight, *very* good to know.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help 20211018_200429
Now what? I poked around real quick on some Mopar parts sellers and didn't see where that net is a separately available part. Maybe a custom upholstery shop? The panels come off easily, so you can take them to a shop or see if its something you can do yourself.

I never really liked that netting. I thought it was a cheap cop-out for FCA to do that.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Now what? I poked around real quick on some Mopar parts sellers and didn't see where that net is a separately available part. Maybe a custom upholstery shop? The panels come off easily, so you can take them to a shop or see if its something you can do yourself.

I never really liked that netting. I thought it was a cheap cop-out for FCA to do that.
Started a project but time got in the way lol. Want to use a molle panel cut and finish to fit. I know its all one piece but cut net away and short sharp screws could hold in place. Then options are endless.
Sponsored