Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days... trying to clean and need help

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
So, I've cleaned the carpeting and it is sitting outside the car. I've kept all of the doors and the back window open all day. So far it seems to be ok inside now. I'll close it all up and drive around a bit to see if it's been aired out enough. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The carpet is hanging outside until it dries.
Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
That's what I was gonna say, but not if it a Hella, the most awesome color ever.
not Hella Yella. I do like that color, but not as much as my Mojito! The color so exciting it has an exclamation point.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help B49D03A9-6BC3-4361-812F-D448B3E01F21

Echoes of the Billy Batts incident.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Not sure if it will work because havenā€™t needed to try one personally, but Iā€™ve seen Meguiarā€™s and other companies make those air freshener bombs that you just open the can and let it spray in the car while all the doors are shut.
Coincidentally, I just used one of those odor eliminators this morning in one of the Hondas. It's usually done once per year, just to give the interiors a seasonal refresh.

The scent doesn't last nearly as long as advertised -- these things rarely do -- but the aerosol does do a good job of eliminating residuals that stick in (and sneak out of) the dash vents from time to time.

Ours are well-maintained, non-smoking/non-pet vehicles that are garage-kept, but they do still benefit from this sort of thing when done on occasion.

Had I a tough odor to tackle, like spoiled fish, the air freshener aerosol that I link to here would be the last step in the cleaning process, after stronger measures were already taken.

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Or the scene from Grumpy Old Men where the dude threw a fish in the backseat of his friend's car.
Graduates of the naval academy donated / planted female ginkgo trees near the parade field as a wonderful practical joke. Weā€™d stick those shit berries in guysā€™ dorm room heating radiators around this time of year. Nasty!

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Back in the early 90's I left deer sausage in the back seat of my 300zx for a week at the airport while I was gone on a trip. This was in the middle of the summer in an uncovered lot... When I got back and was walking to the car, I could not figure out why all the windows were fogged up. I opened the door and literally threw up the smell was so bad! Once I found something to cover my nose, I went back in only to find that maggots had overtaken the entire back seat. The seat was so bad that it was dripping with gunk. I took the t-tops off and some how made it home. When I got home my wife came out and also threw up when she saw/smelled it.

I wish I had better news for you, but I end up pulling all the carpet and throwing away the rear seat. I still own that 1990 300zx and after 30 years, I can still smell it if the car sits for a long time without the windows being opened!

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

Yeah, I bought a pack of frozen salmon from Costco and somehow it got overlooked while emptying the back. It defrosted and some liquid got on the carpet in the back on the right side. I've been trying to soak it up with baking soda, but I'm worried that it may have dripped under the carpet. Can I remove that carpet piece in the back of the 2019 JL Unlimited that goes along the side over the right wheel well? I'm afraid to remove it and find that it is a nightmare to put back. Is it just tucked in or is it attached somehow?

Oh and yes... it smells as bad as it sounds. I left all of my windows open last night hoping to air it out a bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help B49D03A9-6BC3-4361-812F-D448B3E01F21
I'm real sorry to say this, but there is only one proven method to get that fish smell out of your jeep. Here is a pic of my old TJ after I spilled half a bottle of clam juice on the seat and gave up on trying to clean it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help 1634250569935

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
My wife left a gallon of milk in the back of her SUV a few years ago....in the summer....in Georgia. It exploded. I tried FOREVER to get the smell out, but i never could. We ended up selling the vehicle. During the ordeal we kept thinking of the Seinfeld episode where a valet stunk of Jerry's BMW and he had to sell it.

If I were you, i would remove all those carpet pieces and pressure wash them and soak them in something. The longer it stays like that the worse. Good luck.
Had a watermelon roll off my back seat of my first car. Crushed a gallon of milk and didnā€™t realize whole gallon on a closed car in the garage in the summer for 2 days. I donā€™t have to say anymore. My buddyā€™s shop got the smell out but it took them like a week. Worse smell ever.

No wait worse smell ever was my daughter leaving the freezer door open in our garage and 20 lbs of fish fillets unfroze and the fish dropped down the drain to the drip pan. I cleaned everything but forgot about the drip pan. 3 days later smelling like someone got murdered in the garage. I totally forgot about that drip pan. My god the horror! Worse than the smell is I lost all those crappie and perch fillets. I only only take fish when we want to fill up for winter and only panfish. Iā€™m very big on only taking fish that will not get wasted. I hate these heroā€™s that keep fish for pictures and they end up in the woods or something. Especially bass. Our lakes around here get raped enough during ice let alone fish going bad that was now wasted.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
All of the above plus one more trick I learned from a flight attendant. Carpet comes out and in easy. Clean. Dry. Then take DRY coffee grounds and pour them on the area. Leave over night. Vacuum up. One of my sons friends puked all over 3rd row of my old Honda Pilot. It was horrendous. The coffee trick did the trick for me. Apparently this is something old school flight attendants use when people puke in planes I guess.
Thst a what I was told for my fridge drip pan. Worked like a charm!

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Yeah, I bought a pack of frozen salmon from Costco and somehow it got overlooked while emptying the back. It defrosted and some liquid got on the carpet in the back on the right side. I've been trying to soak it up with baking soda, but I'm worried that it may have dripped under the carpet. Can I remove that carpet piece in the back of the 2019 JL Unlimited that goes along the side over the right wheel well? I'm afraid to remove it and find that it is a nightmare to put back. Is it just tucked in or is it attached somehow?

Oh and yes... it smells as bad as it sounds. I left all of my windows open last night hoping to air it out a bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help 1634250569935
I found that replace is best option, i did everything with not the best results.