OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Replace carpet.
I might. the carpet is the least of my worries. I've got it out and if it still stinks, I'll just try to get a replacement. I'm worried if the stench embedded in the rest of the fabric.

JL2000

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jetta, 1986 Pulsar NX, 1987 Corvette, 2021 JL
Not sure if it will work because haven’t needed to try one personally, but I’ve seen Meguiar’s and other companies make those air freshener bombs that you just open the can and let it spray in the car while all the doors are shut. A buddy of mine used it to get vomit smell out of his car lol. May be worth a shot if you get it all cleaned up before buying an ozone machine.

Sponsored

Hayabusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392 XR
Sorry to hear of the funk in your ride. Lots of solid suggestions so far. I really like the tanned leather in the back as an air freshener after the stank is addressed.

Might consider seeking out a detailer who works on police vehicles. I've had several cars paint corrected and ceramic coated in the past. There are some of those hard core detail shops who regularly sterilize police vehicles. Think about the back seats of those (nasty!) and what it takes to clear the air for our men and women in blue to patrol in them.

Might be worth some research to see if one is close to you. Good luck and hope some combination of forum member suggestions makes this an @$$ache of the past a story to tell over a couple of Voodoo Ranger IPA's.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Been there;
although not as bad but it was a horrible smell...left a cantaloupe once in my trunk mid AZ summer. after a few days...WOW

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
Not sure if it will work because haven’t needed to try one personally, but I’ve seen Meguiar’s and other companies make those air freshener bombs that you just open the can and let it spray in the car while all the doors are shut. A buddy of mine used it to get vomit smell out of his car lol. May be worth a shot if you get it all cleaned up before buying an ozone machine.
Those freshener bombs do work, but I would leave it as a last resort and make really sure you are Ok with the fragrance first. I used one in our old van and you can still smell it six months later. Better than what was there before though!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just an FYI, ozone isn’t great for you. Make sure you ventilate the space after running the machine. Also, I believe I’ve seen something similar with a cookie sheet full of activated carbon to help neutralize odors. No idea if it would help in this situation but it may be an avenue for you to research.

Also, don’t underestimate the power of ventilation and UV light. Might take the top off and park in the sun for a few days.

Again, good luck.
Definitely don't breath ozone. Ozone is not great for rubber or plastic either.

Sponsored

Dad Rad

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
ugh, it still smells. going to need to find an ozone generator to see if that helps. i don't think there is anything left in there that was actually touched but the cloth seats and cloth roof may have absorbed the smell.
This.

I have a small ozonator. It will kill all odors and sources. A small "room" like the Jeep interior is perfect, I used to use it for mildew when the convertibles leak. Cat pee when... never mind, don't ask. Any off smells. Smaller ones for a single room are not so expensive and have a UV light to help kill. I have a Uvonair 3000, also does decent sized areas. I use a couple times a year for various issues, loan it out more than i use it myself.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Yeah, I bought a pack of frozen salmon from Costco and somehow it got overlooked while emptying the back. It defrosted and some liquid got on the carpet in the back on the right side. I've been trying to soak it up with baking soda, but I'm worried that it may have dripped under the carpet. Can I remove that carpet piece in the back of the 2019 JL Unlimited that goes along the side over the right wheel well? I'm afraid to remove it and find that it is a nightmare to put back. Is it just tucked in or is it attached somehow?

Oh and yes... it smells as bad as it sounds. I left all of my windows open last night hoping to air it out a bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help C292E7B2-0138-42B8-A59E-C921D2363E54
Only 2 days? I put leftover shrimp boil in the rear floor of my TJ and it fermented for 3 weeks before I figured out where the smell was coming from. It's not my daily driver. Luckiky, it was in a Styrofoam clamshell; unfortunately, the maggots had crawled all over the rear Floorplan. Shop vac got them all and foaming carpet cleaner fixed the stank.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I assume you are using some carpet cleaner or one of the solutions suggested above. Make sure that is worked in. Put the entire carpet in the bath tub to soak, scrub and rinse it out.

Make sure you dry it really well so you don't get any mold. Hang to let the a vast majority of it drip dry. If you have a hot sunny day, leave a window cracked with it in the vehicle. If it isn't sunny, bring it inside and put it near a heater.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Hear me out...

This is the perfect opportunity to convince the wife to let you get a fridge. 🤣
lol. we've got 2! both of them less than 1 year old!
Sponsored