Sponsored

Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days... trying to clean and need help

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Yeah, I bought a pack of frozen salmon from Costco and somehow it got overlooked while emptying the back. It defrosted and some liquid got on the carpet in the back on the right side. I've been trying to soak it up with baking soda, but I'm worried that it may have dripped under the carpet. Can I remove that carpet piece in the back of the 2019 JL Unlimited that goes along the side over the right wheel well? I'm afraid to remove it and find that it is a nightmare to put back. Is it just tucked in or is it attached somehow?

Oh and yes... it smells as bad as it sounds. I left all of my windows open last night hoping to air it out a bit.

IMG_5187resized.jpg
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yeah, I bought a pack of frozen salmon from Costco and somehow it got overlooked while emptying the back. It defrosted and some liquid got on the carpet in the back on the right side. I've been trying to soak it up with baking soda, but I'm worried that it may have dripped under the carpet. Can I remove that carpet piece in the back of the 2019 JL Unlimited that goes along the side over the right wheel well? I'm afraid to remove it and find that it is a nightmare to put back. Is it just tucked in or is it attached somehow?

Oh and yes... it smells as bad as it sounds. I left all of my windows open last night hoping to air it out a bit.

IMG_5187resized.jpg
Sorry if my reaction was similar to the time my wife called and said ā€œthe roomba hit dog pooā€

To answer your question, yes the carpet comes out quite easily and goes back in easily as well. I have to imagine you will have oils from the fish in that carpet. Iā€™m no expert but I would probably hit it with some dish soap, a drill brush and lots of water. Add some steam if youā€™ve got it, and then a few days out in the sun. Good luck man, that sounds like an awful bit of luck. If all else fails see if you can find a part number to replace that section of carpet.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
All the carpet can be removed. Trim removal tools will help.

https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Auto-Trim-Removal-Tool/dp/B01L8GHB7O/

I would take the affected pieces out and clean them while they're out of the Jeep, so that you can saturate well and they can dry well. Use a brush -- not a rag or (heaven forbid) paper towel. You want your efforts to produce some foam and suds.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/foaming-citrus-fabric-clean/citrus-fabric-clean.html

Then rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly and you should be OK. Also, while the carpet is out, look for any other affected areas underneath.

BlackTanJL22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 2dr JL Black/Tan 6cyl stick
yep, pull it out and get the carpet shampoo!! FEBREEZE!!!! be sure to wash the floor of the jeep too and other areas while youre in there. GOOD LUCK!!

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
All the carpet can be removed. Trim removal tools will help.

https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Auto-Trim-Removal-Tool/dp/B01L8GHB7O/

I would take the affected pieces out and clean them while they're out of the Jeep, so that you can saturate well and they can dry well. Use a brush -- not a rag or (heaven forbid) paper towel. You want your efforts to produce some foam and suds.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/foaming-citrus-fabric-clean/citrus-fabric-clean.html

Then rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly and you should be OK. Also, while the carpet is out, look for any other affected areas underneath.
How about that other piece right next to the one covered in baking soda? It's the piece that has the rings attached to it. Do I just pop the plastic caps off with a screwdriver? I'm assuming there has to be screws under that.

Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Forgot frozen salmon in my car for 2 days...  trying to clean and need help IMG_5187resized
My wife left a gallon of milk in the back of her SUV a few years ago....in the summer....in Georgia. It exploded. I tried FOREVER to get the smell out, but i never could. We ended up selling the vehicle. During the ordeal we kept thinking of the Seinfeld episode where a valet stunk of Jerry's BMW and he had to sell it.

If I were you, i would remove all those carpet pieces and pressure wash them and soak them in something. The longer it stays like that the worse. Good luck.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
^^^ This is the only option!

Use pet carpet cleaner when you pull it out to clean, it has odor eliminators and works wonders. Febreeze is also highly recommended, the spray bottle version.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Buy some pet urine enzyme cleaner. Most pet stores (petco, petsmart) should have it, Walmart should too. Douse the area in that. It breaks down the organic molecules that are giving you your smell.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I had something like this happen after a fishing trip. Accidentally left a cooler with some fish in a very hot trunk for a few days. The drain plug for the cooler leaked. I was lucky for several reasons. Car was a rental. The trunk liner was easy to remove and there was a rubber drain plug in the spare tire well. Got it cleaned and the rental company was no wiser.

Wrangler carpets are designed to be easily removed for cleaning. You can even rinse out the tub if you want. There are rubber drain plugs at the bottom of the tub for this. Remove the carpet and take it to a self car wash with a high power wand. Do not use the power wand for the tub. Only the carpet. Most self washes have clips on the walls for floor mats. Clip the carpet in the clips. Soak with enzyme cleaner. Blast away with soap and rinse. Leave carpet in sun to dry. Wipe out the tub area where the salmon was with kitchen or bath cleaner and rinse. Deodorize and sanitize with Lysol. I have had great success cleaning carpet and nasty floor mats that way.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...pet-removal-interior-rhino-spray-lining.9591/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Reminds me of when I left about 4 bunker(menhaden) in my old Grand Cherokee back in the day in the summer time.... I have PTSD from the memory alone.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
See if you can find a portable Ozone Generator. They make some 12 v portable ones. Someone gave me one years back to help clean up a similar situation and it worked great. You will still need to remove the carpet but this will take care of all the lingering fragrances

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
All of the above plus one more trick I learned from a flight attendant. Carpet comes out and in easy. Clean. Dry. Then take DRY coffee grounds and pour them on the area. Leave over night. Vacuum up. One of my sons friends puked all over 3rd row of my old Honda Pilot. It was horrendous. The coffee trick did the trick for me. Apparently this is something old school flight attendants use when people puke in planes I guess.
Sponsored