Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Which one feels better? The lighter in the front seems like it holds the body more level through it
both sets of shocks feel great in the front. I did not like the lighter valve the ones in the back at all. The factory valved ones felt good, but it still doesn’t look good enough to me. Going to spend some time with her and figure out what direction to go next with the valving.

Still not happy with the street ride. It’s just too bumpy for me. But, that probably has a lot to do with the 37 inch tires. In the desert it rocks though. Those factory valve shocks in the rear is using all the travel too which is good. If those quad and triple shims were too much then it wouldn’t use the whole bump zone but it is.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
both sets of shocks feel great in the front. I did not like the lighter valve the ones in the back at all. The factory valved ones felt good, but it still doesn’t look good enough to me. Going to spend some time with her and figure out what direction to go next with the valving.

Still not happy with the street ride. It’s just too bumpy for me. But, that probably has a lot to do with the 37 inch tires. In the desert it rocks though. Those factory valve shocks in the rear is using all the travel too which is good. If those quad and triple shims were too much then it wouldn’t use the whole bump zone but it is.
Right on, youre headed in the right direction!

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
To my untrained eye:
The street video, looks like it ran out of travel too fast? The shock's high speed compression is not firm enough? Is this correct thinking? But the low speed for normal street needs to be softened still?

Great stuff
Thanks for the education here.

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
To my untrained eye:
The street video, looks like it ran out of travel too fast? The shock's high speed compression is not firm enough? Is this correct thinking? But the low speed for normal street needs to be softened still?

Great stuff
Thanks for the education here.
That is an accurate assessment. But, it could also be that the rebound is too stiff, so the shock didn’t extend fast enough and far enough before starting to compress. If that’s the case then the shock was only able to use a few inches of up travel instead instead of maybe 6 inches that the dip would’ve needed. It could also be that my ride height is sitting too low for these shocks requirement. Now it’s a game of trying it out, watching it, figuring out new valving to try, making the valving changes, rinse and repeat the whole process. I’m having fun! It’s just sad that this whole process annoys my wife. Oh well!

PS: The spring rate on these jeeps is a little bit softer than what I’m used to. That is playing some tricks in my mind when I think about what valving changes are needed? And also the spring rate amd valving are for the most part a one to one ratio which is also screwing up my thought process. Hmmmm, as I typed that out it made me realize that since these are not dual rate coil overs, I never get into the secondary higher spring rate that a coil over does. So does that mean that these shocks will need to be significantly different as far as valving than a coil over?

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are on the eibach springs correct? Still and single rate.
I'm on the Synergy multi rates now. I really do like them over the factory/aftermarket single rate. This is my opinion, of course........

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Yup, 2” Eibach front and rear. Rear is 165 lb/in spring rate, stock springs are around 175 rear, and a lot of aftermarket ones are 185.

I’ve also been noticing I have about a 1 inch right rear lean when I park in my garage. Stock springs had four different lengths. These ones are the same length in pairs. So I think this weekend I will make a spacer for that right rear spring to get it leveled out and that alone could make a fair amount of difference for me?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That is an accurate assessment. But, it could also be that the rebound is too stiff, so the shock didn’t extend fast enough and far enough before starting to compress. If that’s the case then the shock was only able to use a few inches of up travel instead instead of maybe 6 inches that the dip would’ve needed. It could also be that my ride height is sitting too low for these shocks requirement. Now it’s a game of trying it out, watching it, figuring out new valving to try, making the valving changes, rinse and repeat the whole process. I’m having fun! It’s just sad that this whole process annoys my wife. Oh well!

PS: The spring rate on these jeeps is a little bit softer than what I’m used to. That is playing some tricks in my mind when I think about what valving changes are needed? And also the spring rate amd valving are for the most part a one to one ratio which is also screwing up my thought process. Hmmmm, as I typed that out it made me realize that since these are not dual rate coil overs, I never get into the secondary higher spring rate that a coil over does. So does that mean that these shocks will need to be significantly different as far as valving than a coil over?
Id think you would need stiffer, my current rate is 120in/lbs for 1” of shock travel then its 300 in/lbs

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I think all the multi rate springs available for JLs have the soft rate section solid well before ride height (since they're generally designed for increased suspension droop for articulation). So I don't think any jeep dual rate springs would do what you're after (I could definitely be wrong here).

Also, aren't the stock raptor leafs single rate? That would lead me to believe the shocks were tuned with that in mind. Do you think a spring rate change would get you what you're after?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to tell but on the desert vids, is it topping out the suspension on some of those bumps? Theres one spot in the video if i move it slow it looks like the front tire makes a tiny gap off the ground, if thats the case rebound is probably close, id stiffen everything up. Since they come from leafs in the back they should be decent on rebound (maybe) because they are inherently slow to respond. Plus they are also light back there because theres no weight in the bed. You might have to double every shim. At least in the front its looking close, it just throws that rear into compression too much. Just To me, but what do i know haha

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
When I was talking about duel rate earlier I was talking about coil over shocks. Coil overs in the way that their springs are set up it’s just made for a go fast off-road vehicle.

The stock style lift springs that are duel rate are made that way so that they don’t fall out when you getting fully articulated.

I have experience with coil overs and I know what to do with them out of the box. This thing isn’t as easy for me, even though it’s more simple.

yes the raptor does have a leaf springs. I know that leaf springs rub against each other as they compress and they have their own “compression “. Never have seen anyone mention how leaf springs affect rebound. I would assume that they have to slide against each other during rebound so maybe they add their own rebound too? That doesn’t sound like it’s coming out right but hopefully you get what I mean.

I was thinking as I was driving along right now I believe the rear has 5 inches of shock shaft showing at ride height and the front has six. Maybe I should do quick and simple spacer lift on the rear to get the shocks in the middle of their travel and maybe they will use their travel better?

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve also been noticing I have about a 1 inch right rear lean when I park in my garage. Stock springs had four different lengths. These ones are the same length in pairs. So I think this weekend I will make a spacer for that right rear spring to get it leveled out and that alone could make a fair amount of difference for me?
Welcome to aftermarket :facepalm: I went through this also. it will always about 1/2 off from side to side. I tried both a 1/2 and a 1 inch spacer. It would be either taller or shorter no matter what.

The Synergy's has a left and right spring like the stock springs. Not promoting their product, but the best of what I have tried so far.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
When I was talking about duel rate earlier I was talking about coil over shocks. Coil overs in the way that their springs are set up it’s just made for a go fast off-road vehicle.

The stock style lift springs that are duel rate are made that way so that they don’t fall out when you getting fully articulated.

I have experience with coil overs and I know what to do with them out of the box. This thing isn’t as easy for me, even though it’s more simple.

yes the raptor does have a leaf springs. I know that leaf springs rub against each other as they compress and they have their own “compression “. Never have seen anyone mention how leaf springs affect rebound. I would assume that they have to slide against each other during rebound so maybe they add their own rebound too? That doesn’t sound like it’s coming out right but hopefully you get what I mean.

I was thinking as I was driving along right now I believe the rear has 5 inches of shock shaft showing at ride height and the front has six. Maybe I should do quick and simple spacer lift on the rear to get the shocks in the middle of their travel and maybe they will use their travel better?
Yeah the leafs affect rebound in the same way, restricting the movement back.

its possible an extra inch will help a bit, id do it if it put me mid range of the shocks. Bypasses like mid range

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Any updates on your setup? Been looking for for a deal like this, but I can't find reasonable prices for these shocks. Did find a steal for the Mopar lift Fox shocks, but I still think these Raptor shocks are the best setup.

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I haven’t touched them since the last time. They’re at 90% of what I want. But I will get back to re valving them.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
How much bump stop did you end up adding?
Thinking of getting either the rusty’s or eibach’s and running fox 2.5s dsc for 2-3in. If I can get away with not adding any bump I’ll be more than okay with a set up like that.

SpringsPart no.Extended LengthCompressedTravellb/in
Rustys 2in frontRC-CS2710-JL19.4514.4117
Rustys 2in RearRC-CS282016.143.512.64165
Eibach 2in frontE30-51-023-02-20
Eibach 2in rearE30-51-023–02-02
Sponsored