Ford Raptor rear shocks on JL!!!

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Man I love your thread. Thanks for the info, it’s helping immensely for my own potential setup. Might have to take a look at rustys springs and small bumpstops for the fox 2.5 2-3in shocks I want.

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress on the build.:like:

I believe the Rubicon‘s have four different length springs as in each corner is a different length. The right front on mine is 18 inches extended and 5 inches collapsed. The rear Drivers side spring is 14.25 and the passenger side is 15 inches. I don’t see that I wrote anything down for the rear collapsed but I think they’re about 3 1/2 inches collapsed. And I think there’s about 4 1/2 inches of spring space available when the rear axle is on the stock bump stop. Most manufacturers make Dual rate springs so they actually have more windings than a single rate and they wind up being a couple of inches longer in total length than a single rate. A single rate rear spring usually has about seven coils and collapse to about 3 1/2 or 4 inches. A dual rate spring might have 10 coils which puts it at about 5 1/2 inches collapsed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I was going through some old magazines today to throw them out in the recycling and I found one article from dirt sports magazines. It was a very thorough series on shocks and shock tuning. I have a folder here somewhere that I’ve looked for once already but can’t find but I’ll look for some more. Anyways below is the pictures from this one article. I had to read through some of it two or three times right now just to get exactly what they’re saying. Hopefully you can read these they show up perfect on my 12.9 inch iPad. One picture shows what they call a bleed shim underneath the face shim or to me on top of it where it is up against the piston. It is not a flutter shim, it’s a bleed shim because it’s going to allow oil to bleed through the piston in both compression and rebound. More during compression then rebound though. And then it shows two examples of a Flutter shim. It does say that usually the flutter shim is going to be a small thin one. It says you don’t want to go to thick because the large shim up against a thick small shim can cause a crack as it cycles over and over.

CFC5F5B6-E09D-4B3D-816F-6D0A805A43FD.jpeg

FF449ADE-FD59-49DA-87F3-12A51D2BD2BC.jpeg

E9E7D484-F112-4F51-BED7-37E7F7591117.jpeg

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I just did a quick search for “Dirt sports magazine shock University” and it shows up under fourwheeler.com and I’m reading an article right now on internal bypass shocks! I probably read this article 8 years ago but I’ve forgotten a lot of it.

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I revalved the rear Raptor shocks today. 1:15 to remove, revalve, and install. Not bad. Compression is a straight .015 with a .006x.95 flutter between the face shim and the second shim. I haven’t touched the rebound, still a .010 stack. It’s a night and day difference from the #105 stack! Smoother in the dips by my house. Smoother on blacktop that has cracks in it. And much smoother over the Costco speed bumps! And no noticeable body lean or bad manners.

I will try more revalves to get these perfect.

I also installed 2” Eibach springs today. Time to hurry up and find another set of Raptor shocks for the front! I’ll probably throw the rear shocks on the front in the next week or two just to make sure that’s what I want first.

If I sell my RZR, I could spend $1500 on new front shocks. But, I’ve done some research, and the Fox 2-3 or King 2.5-5” lift shocks are the only good shocks with comparable measurements to these. They’re both a true 2.5” shock which is better then the Raptors 1.8”, but they aren’t bypass shocks. And they both have a hair less travel. I’d really like regular external bypass shocks, but they are all too long. So I still see these as the best choice for me.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
You will have to help me on this question. Can a spacer be added to the rod to limit the extended travel? I know this would mess with the bypass zone, but with 4" of bypass? Would a 1" spacer work?

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
You will have to help me on this question. Can a spacer be added to the rod to limit the extended travel? I know this would mess with the bypass zone, but with 4" of bypass? Would a 1" spacer work?
You can do it that way but youll have to open it up, or just limit strap

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Yup, a limit strap or since you would want to have these re-valve anyways a spacer could easily be added. There’s already about a one and a quarter inch spacer in there. And as a counter to that you could also machine half an inch out of the spacer that’s in there to take it up to a full 12 inch stroke and I don’t think it would run the risk of bending a shaft.

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
And as far as the bypass zone, you would only be limiting the extension of the shock so it would still have that same amount of bump zone. You would just have 1 inch less of the softer travel.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
And as far as the bypass zone, you would only be limiting the extension of the shock so it would still have that same amount of bump zone. You would just have 1 inch less of the softer travel.
good deal on those lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Dude! Thanks for that! I’ve heard of offered up but never used it. I wonder if he’ll take 300 for just the rears?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Dude! Thanks for that! I’ve heard of offered up but never used it. I wonder if he’ll take 300 for just the rears?
No prob. Dunno send him a message and see, if not youll have 2 extra shocks to mess around with lol

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I messaged him and he had just sold them. Oh well at least now I’ll be checking offer up a couple times a week too. Thanks again.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I messaged him and he had just sold them. Oh well at least now I’ll be checking offer up a couple times a week too. Thanks again.
Ah bummer

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I took the Raptor shocks off the back and got them installed on the front. They ride smoother then the stock Rubicon shocks, but need to be even softer for my taste. I put 3/4” spacers on top of the 2” springs. That gives me 5” bump travel and 7” droop. 12’’ travel on passenger side and I had to put a limiting strap on the drivers side to limit it to 11” travel to keep the driveshaft happy. Running 1” bump stop spacers. I mocked up the shocks on the outside of the lower mount, but the drivers tire at full stuff rubbed the reservoir. I was able to get them to fit in the stock mounts. Still pretty happy with these shocks. And I’m running 37” tires, only 1” front bump stops and 3/8” rear bump stops, 2 3/4” front and 2” rear lift, with 11-12” travel. But........ I don’t think the bushings on the suspension links will last very long if I use all that travel.........so onto more fabrication.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Raptor rear shocks on JL!!! 4785DB5B-3E31-4EDD-85AD-B6F34F0B137E

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Raptor rear shocks on JL!!! 3159AE63-9CBB-4BC7-AA45-73BE4589EF3A

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Raptor rear shocks on JL!!! 7D3DB800-BC31-414E-9FC5-ADE2BA82B2DA
Sponsored