2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Here's a video of a crash test comparison:

Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
So the lesson here is, if you want a mom wagon that can travel the highways in safety and comfort, maybe the Wrangler isn’t for you. I would wager that it’s pretty common knowledge Jeeps can be tippy. These aren’t marketed as 5 star crash rated.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
This needs to be re-posted tomorrow.

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
You can clearly see why the Jeep rolls and the bronco doesn’t. Look how the rim gets pushed under the frame on the Jeep and shoved into the slider on the bronco.

Is this a fluke of this run? What would the outcome be if the wall was positioned a little different? What if the Jeep had a rock slider?

Sponsored

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I would rather have a solid axle that would flip me than an IFS that is designed to break off to keep me from being flipped! Additionally, at 1:13 you can see that the two harnesses that propel the vehicle down the track are different. The Jeep had a wire rope. The Bronco had a thick chain. While it appears that the harnesses detached upon impact the fact is that the setups are different and could contribute to the different outcomes.
Wow. Great observation 👍👍

Lucky #7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6-spd Manual
You can clearly see why the Jeep rolls and the bronco doesn’t. Look how the rim gets pushed under the frame on the Jeep and shoved into the slider on the bronco.

Is this a fluke of this run? What would the outcome be if the wall was positioned a little different? What if the Jeep had a rock slider?
Your point about the rock slider is compelling. I do wonder what the results would have been if the
Wrangler was similarly equipped

Whsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Clubs

That model of Bronco has crash bars, while the Jeep does not (and some Broncos don’t).

since it was the tire getting wedged under the chassis that flipped the Jeep, I wonder if youd see something similar with a Bronco Sasquatch (since it has no crash bars)

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
What would happen with a fully built jeep with heavy 3/16” front bumpers in this type of crash test?

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
It appears the 2022 Wranglers have been redesigned in this area because on the IIHS website, the small overlap test results are now listed as only 2018-21 and the 2022 Wrangler is missing the results. I speculate that testing is underway and a rating for 2022 will be forthcoming.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I’ll take the Jeep’s slow rollover to scrub off speed rather than the Bronco’s extreme deceleration any day of the week. What sort of G forces were those CTD’s subjected to? I bet considerably less in the Wrangler.

Benedict chu

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw 328 wagon
It appears the 2022 Wranglers have been redesigned in this area because on the IIHS website, the small overlap test results are now listed as only 2018-21 and the 2022 Wrangler is missing the results. I speculate that testing is underway and a rating for 2022 will be forthcoming.
Where did you see the 2022 Jeep Wrangler has been redesigned? I was hoping they would but saw no evidence. I went ahead and ordered my JWRXR with steel bumpers anyways

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Where did you see the 2022 Jeep Wrangler has been redesigned? I was hoping they would but saw no evidence. I went ahead and ordered my JWRXR with steel bumpers anyways
Look at https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2021#small-overlap-front-driver-side

The small overlap test says "Rating applies to 2018-21 models." All the others are 2018-22. And then if you look at 2022, there's no small overlap test result listed: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2022

I've spent a lot of time at the IIHS website and it's not an oversight. Something changed or else they would have applied the small overlap test result to 2022 just like all the past ones. Now we just need them to update the 2022...could take months.
Sponsored