Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
The 392 at $75K comes with 33" tires, puny axles, ridiculous no-name shocks, tiny screen and virtually the same chassis as a $35K Wrangler.

The Bronco Raptor at the $70K price comes standard with 37" tires, massive Fox 3.1 electronically controlled shocks, Dana 50 rear axles, reinforced front axles, reinforced frame, massive screen and digital panel, and is completely distinguished from a regular Bronco even 500 yards away.

One is a rushed job Wrangler with a V8 dropped in. The other is a purpose built Ford Performance engineered frame, axles, engine, wheels, tires, etc.

Do you seriously don't get the difference?

Please guys. As Wrangler fans, lets not give Jeep a pass. Lets insist on proper response from Jeep with factory 37s, beefy axles, great shocks, etc. I want to buy my next Jeep with all that from the factory. Lets use the Bronco Raptor as a club to force Jeep to give us more goodies.
I am most definitely in tune with every single change Jeep has made from the TJ all the way up to the 392. I can tell you about a JK sport model that came with a rear locker and sway bar disconnect from the factory. I can tell you the real differences between JK models, JLs and even JTs. Have owned 15 Jeeps the past 20 yesrw

With Ford, I’ve owned 7 Raptors, a current Gen King Ranch F350, and 5 other Ford trucks/4x4s.

Other than what’s disclosed above, I’m also known by many as Jay Leno, one car at a time. I can pick apart every pro and con you can imagine, some factual and beyond most peoples true knowledge base, and some as a chosen pro or con based on personal taste (bias).

So now, let me debunk your imagined and hurried negatives above: $75K will get you about an $82-84K 392 with most the option boxes checked, including the XR package with 35s… How? You don’t pay MSRP at enough dealers to make it happen for a good number of people. The flip side to that: You cannot do that with the Bronco Raptor in general because no one cares to give up their small number of allocations to “hook you up”, because a Raptor based Bronco will not be a constant flow of “sold orders” like the 392 is.

The Rubicon 392 sits on a proven body on frame structure that is not only tried and true, but is reinforced a lot more than just a tad…. So not a bad thing at all… What did you want the 392 to do? Jump dunes??Thats not it’s job… Doesn’t claim to be… Doesn’t make it inferior because it doesn’t.

An 8.4 inch UConnect screen coupled with a pretty nice Alpine sound system is a far cry from “puny screen” and whatever else you had to say in that department. It fits the vehicle very nicely, is functional and is a very well sorted setup in the Jeep.

Tiny axles…. Don’t even know what to tell you here, other than do more research on the current generation D44s and their inners….Again, I don’t know what the expectation is on your end, but the engineers did not set us up to fail in this department. It’s everything we’ll ever NEED. If you want 40s, that’s another story, but it’s also another story for the Bronco as well…

And lastly, as far as “rushed” is concerned, I wouldn’t go that far either. Jeep hasn’t necessarily wanted to give us the V8 in the Wrangler, but that doesn’t mean there hasn’t been testing… There’s been mules, Moab EJS models in the past that undoubtedly were stress testing certain components and setups, skunkworks going on for years me and you don’t hear about, etc. No one can claim A rushed product here when the evidence shows there’s been a decent level of energy put into the dream of putting a V8 out there. They did it, and the last time I checked, there’s been zero detrimental trends for this vehicle.

Want me to speak truth on the Bronco, I can do that too, because I spent time in the prototype/pre-production vehicles and had actually presented a couple of flaws to the Ford team prior to launch, and so far, I have seen plenty of complaints on one of the items I identified well enough in advance for them to fix, but didn’t. THEN, I can talk about my experience with the production model, Badlands Sasquatch in rather greet detail, but all you really need to hear is INFERIOR in so many ways, that it’s not even funny. I did video reviews and actually decided against editing and posting because it was so negative and disgusting what I had to say the entire time. Oh, and if you think that was due to my bias, you’d be wrong. I had a first Edition reserved up until that point, but was very weary after seeing the pre production models and getting hands on. And then when I went full review on a production model and cancelled my order same day. So what does that leave a sensible and critical thinker to believe with a Bronco Raptor? Well, just about the same negatives are there, minus the lack of acceleration.

There is at least a 30 page summary I could write on Jeep Vs Ford Vs anything else you’d like to hear about, and the Jeep doesn’t come out on top in all the categories, but it does come out on top with a real important one: It’s worth what they are asking and the higher Bronco trims are not. And yea, my last sentence is an opinion, but that opinion is what drives my decision to place the value of the Jeep on top and my $85000 392 that I am paying a tad under $75K for will be here in less than a month…. Someone show me a Bronco Raptor with Adaptive, power painted top, 470 HP, engineering improvements decade after decade since 1941, clubs in every single town filled with members, paid maintenance, and my personal favorite: the best damn automatic transmission I’ve driven with in a 4x4 vehicle….
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I am most definitely in tune with every single change Jeep has made from the TJ all the way up to the 392. I can tell you about a JK sport model that came with a rear locker and sway bar disconnect from the factory. I can tell you the real differences between JK models, JLs and even JTs. Have owned 15 Jeeps the past 20 yesrw

With Ford, I’ve owned 7 Raptors, a current Gen King Ranch F350, and 5 other Ford trucks/4x4s.

Other than what’s disclosed above, I’m also known by many as Jay Leno, one car at a time. I can pick apart every pro and con you can imagine, some factual and beyond most peoples true knowledge base, and some as a chosen pro or con based on personal taste (bias).

So now, let me debunk your imagined and hurried negatives above: $75K will get you about an $82-84K 392 with most the option boxes checked, including the XR package with 35s… How? You don’t pay MSRP at enough dealers to make it happen for a good number of people. The flip side to that: You cannot do that with the Bronco Raptor in general because no one cares to give up their small number of allocations to “hook you up”, because a Raptor based Bronco will not be a constant flow of “sold orders” like the 392 is.

The Rubicon 392 sits on a proven body on frame structure that is not only tried and true, but is reinforced a lot more than just a tad…. So not a bad thing at all… What did you want the 392 to do? Jump dunes??Thats not it’s job… Doesn’t claim to be… Doesn’t make it inferior because it doesn’t.

An 8.4 inch UConnect screen coupled with a pretty nice Alpine sound system is a far cry from “puny screen” and whatever else you had to say in that department. It fits the vehicle very nicely, is functional and is a very well sorted setup in the Jeep.

Tiny axles…. Don’t even know what to tell you here, other than do more research on the current generation D44s and their inners….Again, I don’t know what the expectation is on your end, but the engineers did not set us up to fail in this department. It’s everything we’ll ever NEED. If you want 40s, that’s another story, but it’s also another story for the Bronco as well…

And lastly, as far as “rushed” is concerned, I wouldn’t go that far either. Jeep hasn’t necessarily wanted to give us the V8 in the Wrangler, but that doesn’t mean there hasn’t been testing… There’s been mules, Moab EJS models in the past that undoubtedly were stress testing certain components and setups, skunkworks going on for years me and you don’t hear about, etc. No one can claim A rushed product here when the evidence shows there’s been a decent level of energy put into the dream of putting a V8 out there. They did it, and the last time I checked, there’s been zero detrimental trends for this vehicle.

Want me to speak truth on the Bronco, I can do that too, because I spent time in the prototype/pre-production vehicles and had actually presented a couple of flaws to the Ford team prior to launch, and so far, I have seen plenty of complaints on one of the items I identified well enough in advance for them to fix, but didn’t. THEN, I can talk about my experience with the production model, Badlands Sasquatch in rather greet detail, but all you really need to hear is INFERIOR in so many ways, that it’s not even funny. I did video reviews and actually decided against editing and posting because it was so negative and disgusting what I had to say the entire time. Oh, and if you think that was due to my bias, you’d be wrong. I had a first Edition reserved up until that point, but was very weary after seeing the pre production models and getting hands on. And then when I went full review on a production model and cancelled my order same day. So what does that leave a sensible and critical thinker to believe with a Bronco Raptor? Well, just about the same negatives are there, minus the lack of acceleration.

There is at least a 30 page summary I could write on Jeep Vs Ford Vs anything else you’d like to hear about, and the Jeep doesn’t come out on top in all the categories, but it does come out on top with a real important one: It’s worth what they are asking and the higher Bronco trims are not. And yea, my last sentence is an opinion, but that opinion is what drives my decision to place the value of the Jeep on top and my $85000 392 that I am paying a tad under $75K for will be here in less than a month…. Someone show me a Bronco Raptor with Adaptive, power painted top, 470 HP, engineering improvements decade after decade since 1941, clubs in every single town filled with members, paid maintenance, and my personal favorite: the best damn automatic transmission I’ve driven with in a 4x4 vehicle….
OK Jay.

No way I can refute that many words.

But 392 only exists as a rushed reaction to the Bronco and has its days numbered as it is defined by an engine that is so old it will be out of production in 2 years as announced by Jeep. So if you like the 392 thank the Bronco.

Me, I'm interested in Jeep's response to the Bronco Raptor. I hope it is a well engineered product with great frame/axles strengthening, great shocks, 37s, better brakes, etc. So, I love that the Bronco Raptor is announced and soon will be on the roads.

Jeep needs to stop living from people like you who have had 15 Jeeps and will take anything Jeep puts out. They need to learn to compete again. It has been a while since they have competition, but they will learn.

We, as Jeep enthusiast, can either hold their feet to the fire and demand better OR you can be their lap bitches and take whatever and defend all their flaws.

Your choice really. Peace.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
OK Jay.

No way I can refute that many words.

But 392 only exists as a rushed reaction to the Bronco and has its days numbered as it is defined by an engine that is so old it will be out of production in 2 years as announced by Jeep. So if you like the 392 thank the Bronco.

Me, I'm interested in Jeep's response to the Bronco Raptor. I hope it is a well engineered product with great frame/axles strengthening, great shocks, 37s, better brakes, etc. So, I love that the Bronco Raptor is announced and soon will be on the roads.

Jeep needs to stop living from people like you who have had 15 Jeeps and will take anything Jeep puts out. They need to learn to compete again. It has been a while since they have competition, but they will learn.

We, as Jeep enthusiast, can either hold their feet to the fire and demand better OR you can be their lap bitches and take whatever and defend all their flaws.

Your choice really. Peace.
Every damn Bronco fool keeps saying that the 392 was rushed in response to the Bronco. That's absolutely hilarious as Jeep has been testing V8s in Wranglers for over a dozen years. Not exactly rushed. As far as it being in response to the Bronco, that could have some merit, except for the fact that Stellantis has been shoe horning the 392 into just about everything in the last 5 years. There's even a joke about putting a Hemi in the minivans. And the structural improvements that were neaded were developed for the Mohave Gladiator. Now don't get me wrong, I have been looking forward to the Bronco. Competition drives innovation. But the truth is that Ford didn't really step up to the plate to play. They copied the Toyota play book from the FJ. Take a IFS truck, give it a nostalgic body, and a lot of electric goodies to cover for the wheels coming off the ground all the time.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
To much hyperbole. Anyone downplaying the 392 engine or saying a vehicle is better because of their infotainment screen is not meant to be taken seriously. Ford fanboy or not, how many people are realistically choosing a turbo 6 over a more powerful v8 if having the choice? Jl has been out for 5 years, it’s been the most functional and most livable wrangler to date. jeep sales have been outstanding and will continue to be. The next iteration will no doubt be even better. Of course they will take notes from bronco, why wouldn’t they.

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat CC - Volvo XC70 - Ducati Monster 900 carbs - Ducati Hypermotard - Ducati Panigale -
Occupation
self employed
Bronco Raptor? Sounds stupid. Two animal names lol. How about Ford Giraffe Monkey? LOL
Agree ... i would prefer something like for a Bronco Baja

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Every damn Bronco fool keeps saying that the 392 was rushed in response to the Bronco. That's absolutely hilarious as Jeep has been testing V8s in Wranglers for over a dozen years. Not exactly rushed. As far as it being in response to the Bronco, that could have some merit, except for the fact that Stellantis has been shoe horning the 392 into just about everything in the last 5 years. There's even a joke about putting a Hemi in the minivans. And the structural improvements that were neaded were developed for the Mohave Gladiator. Now don't get me wrong, I have been looking forward to the Bronco. Competition drives innovation. But the truth is that Ford didn't really step up to the plate to play. They copied the Toyota play book from the FJ. Take a IFS truck, give it a nostalgic body, and a lot of electric goodies to cover for the wheels coming off the ground all the time.
Better discussion/points.

The Hemi-392, by coincidence has near identical weight and torque numbers, and similar cooling and size as the Diesel.

The Diesel was planned. Look back at all the FCA presentations on engine line up for the Wrangler. Hybrid, Diesel, Turbo, e-torque have been in multiple presentations to dealers, press and insiders (leaked) for years. You won't find a single one with a Hemi.

When the Bronco was announced with 35's from the factory XR and 392 were rushed jobs. The 392 already had to have the oil pan redesigned.

And the 392 can never be part of a long range planned top of the line model. Simply because it is a dead end product. It will with absolute certainty be out of production in 2 years.

Is the 392 cool and hell? Yes. Is it awesome? Yes. Is the XR package an awesome package? Yes.

But they are not a long term response to a Bronco Raptor with factory 37s, new axles, and very modern 400HP+ engine that will be in production for a decade or more.

Here is to hoping that in a year or so, I can buy a Wrangler with a 3.0T engine, factory 37s and beefy axles and great shocks.

Happy Jeeping.

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
1. Do I think the 392 is a badass vehicle? Absolutely
2. Do I think the 392 was rushed and the packaging could've been better from Jeep? Absolutely.
3. Do I think the Bronco Raptor will have issues that the Jeep doesn't? Certainly will. But come on... every major off-roader has been modifying their vehicles. The Bronco will never be as good on extreme rocks with IFS. We know that... stop dying on that cross over everything.
4. Do I think we all benefit from Ford and Jeep going blow for blow on product launches? Hell yeah we do! Smile guys... life is good and the off-road industry is just getting started with loads of other companies and products ready to dip their toes.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
As a fellow AZ resident, I also would like better fender coverage offroad. I am looking into adding the XR extensions to mine. May try to come up with a quick release setup so I can swap them on and off.
I have a 2021 JLUR XR and it is winter. I have the factory extensions, my front tires keep the rear fenders by the rear door cut outs buried in ice and snow. I would think sand and gravel would do the same thing. I have 35's. I expect that paint will be very abused and in time will need a plastic protection answer.
Sponsored