Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Not saying I disagree but what would you suggest to make it look more unique?
I don't know. I won't even pretend to have the imagination of an auto designer. I just know they usually find a way to make their apex vehicle more visually alluring than the lower trins. But with the 392 they just didn't.

When I had a JK, I was ok with having a Sahara because I didn't need the goodies of a Rubi AND the Rubi didn't look different from a Sahara or a sport. With the JL I still didn't need the goodies of a Rubi. BUT with the hood and highline fenders, they made the JL Rubi appear much more aggressive. That look allured me so I splurged for it.

I just don't feel they made the same effort in visual temptation with the 392 to push people up to that model.
Sponsored

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
I realize that the press release says that, but if you just look at it and compare, there is no difference between the two visually. And it would be very hard to increase the strength of the components without any visual cues.
The visuals I saw def made it look thicker in comparison on the close up video. Still, to your point....too hard to tell based on these photos.

Bronco Raptor:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's 1643206838599

Bronco Sasquatch:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's 1643206982295

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Tesla Cybertruck base price $39,000, tows 14,000lbs, 500 mile range, 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, available to order now.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/tesla-cybertruck/

A. It's the ugliest vehicle ever made
B. Production won't start until 2023 at best, it's available for pre-order which is not the same as being available to order now
C. I hate when people combine every trim to give the illusion of cheap, high performance, and long range. That model doesn't exist. Single motor base starts at $39k, only has a 250 mile range, only tows 7500lbs, and does 0-60 in 6.5s (slower than several wrangler models). The tri-motor starts at $70k and has all those great specs you quoted. In order to load it up to meet all those specs you'll likely be pushing $100k by the time production starts.
D. What on earth does the cyber truck have to do with the Bronco raptor? Completely different vehicles with opposite design/use intent.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A. It's the ugliest vehicle ever made
B. Production won't start until 2023 at best, it's available for pre-order which is not the same as being available to order now
C. I hate when people combine every trim to give the illusion of cheap, high performance, and long range. That model doesn't exist. Single motor base starts at $39k, only has a 250 mile range, only tows 7500lbs, and does 0-60 in 6.5s (slower than several wrangler models). The tri-motor starts at $70k and has all those great specs you quoted. In order to load it up to meet all those specs you'll likely be pushing $100k by the time production starts.
D. What on earth does the cyber truck have to do with the Bronco raptor? Completely different vehicles with opposite design/use intent.
Sorry to offend you. I deleted it.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The visuals I saw def made it look thicker in comparison on the close up video. Still, to your point....too hard to tell based on these photos.

Bronco Raptor:

Bronco Sasquatch:
The tie rod ends look identical to me. And there is an extension, I believe on the rack to make it frame width. But visually it looks like the standard Bronco rack other than the width.

Since the steering rack, and tie rod ends are already a known problem for larger tires with the Bronco, I really feel like they dropped the ball here.

Sponsored

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's 1643213261257

If I had to drive a Ford, I'd rather have this than that ridiculous Xerox Wrangler-Bronco, because weak suspension components don't belong on any truck or off-road vehicle. This is the only Ford IFS, the Twin I-Beam, that is "FORD TOUGH". In case you aren't familiar, the movie is 'Mr Majestyk' starring Charles Bronson. The Bronson-befitting truck looks to be a 1968 Ford F-100. The desert-running chase scene is worth watching. This is real desert-running, not just finding a flat surface for a camera and making dust--which anything can do. I don't think a modern stock Wrangler could survive this either, but it would sure last longer than the Bronco, which in the first 1 minute would have bent control arms, twisted steering knuckle, a stripped rack/pinion, and dislocated CV joints. In short order, it would be totaled going over the first dune and would no longer be drive-able. How much are they charging for the Bronco again?

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's 1643213337856

Last edited:

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I doubt that very much. Put 10-15% of the trailer's weight on that hitch and you will be looking at the sky, with very light steering. Hit an ondulation on the road at speed, in the middle of a turn and bye bye you.

The Bronco Raptor has serious reinforcements in the hitch, has more weight on the nose, has a massively wider track, has massively better (and adjustable shocks) and has IFS. All these things make it much more capable of handling towing than a Wrangler.
I tow a 5500lb boat/trailer, with roughly 400-500lb tongue weight. I have absolutely zero issues.

However, I will concede that I have removed the rear tire and carrier, so that's ~80lbs I get back.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Neither one is a good tow rig. Assuming the raptor bronco will be set up like the F150 raptor the soft spring rate and long travel are not great for hauling or towing anything heavy. I would 100% rather be towing the same load with my truck, but would have no problem using the Jeep. If the jl is rated to safely tow 5,500lbs in Europe and Australia, both heavily regulated and geographically diverse enough to face all the same adverse conditions we do, it will do it safely here too. I couldn’t care less if it will tow up a 7% grade for 10 minutes in 100°+ heat which is likely the test that leads to the low rating we get.
One other thing.

I don't presume to know, or even have the slightest informed opinion, why Jeep might not get accurate tow ratings for the Wrangler. But, given the fact that every engine, suspension, axle, and transmission configuration has the same rating - my guess is that they slapped a low number on there and didn't bother really testing it.

Don't forget that these tow ratings have zero legal basis. They aren't regulated by the Federal government like fuel mileage or safety. It is just the various manufacturers coming together and saying, "Yeah, this standard sounds good."

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
The tie rod ends look identical to me. And there is an extension, I believe on the rack to make it frame width. But visually it looks like the standard Bronco rack other than the width.

Since the steering rack, and tie rod ends are already a known problem for larger tires with the Bronco, I really feel like they dropped the ball here.

Fast forward to the 25 minute mark. They go over the changes in-depth. They claim things are more robust and beefed up for the raptor but they fail to go into depth on quite a bit. Still, best video and explanation I could find on the changes.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I tow a 5500lb boat/trailer, with roughly 400-500lb tongue weight. I have absolutely zero issues.

However, I will concede that I have removed the rear tire and carrier, so that's ~80lbs I get back.
And I believe you. Boat aerodynamics vs slab sided trailers is a big plus. 400 lbs tongue weight on a 5,500 lbs trailer is marginal, but can work.

Again. We are talking about certifications, safety margins, etc.

I think it is hard to argue that, certified to the same standards being certified to a higher tow rating is not better.

Bronco Raptor team did the engineering and certification work for 4,500 lbs. That is 30% more than the Wrangler. We should be happy about it, and hope that Jeep follows suit.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Sorry to offend you. I deleted it.
No offense taken, I mostly commented because the base price is nowhere near the price of the model with all the impressive specs everyone wants to quote. It’s like quoting wrangler 392 XR specs with a starting price of $30k (base model, 2 dr sport). The ICE manufacturer/media are much better at honest pricing than the electrics seem to be. Every article I’ve seen discussing 392 or bronco raptor specs accurately quotes the ~$70k starting price. A $40k cyber truck is not even the same vehicle as a 3 motor top spec cyber truck.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

Fast forward to the 25 minute mark. They go over the changes in-depth. They claim things are more robust and beefed up for the raptor but they fail to go into depth on quite a bit. Still, best video and explanation I could find on the changes.
I had watched the video before, but I rewatched it again. He said that it had the same upgrade as the F-150 Raptor. Problem is that the F-150 Raptor has exhibited the same issues with 35" tires. The new one with 37s also supposedly has the same rack as the previous generation, so time will tell. On top of that, the current rack has already been compared to the Raptor rack in regards to strength.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's Screenshot_20220126-113131_Chrome

This is the new Brapter rack

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's 7D363D49-4172-456A-9D5A-1784543D0BAB

And a failed standard Bronco rack. The failure point for the rack is not even the housing itself really, but the small circular part next to the steering shaft input that maintains proper engagement of the gears. At the 31:30 mark he states that it is beefed up internally, then corrects himself and says "similar layout to what you would see on the base except it's been beefed up internally, or I should say the housing." And we can see some additional ribbing when directly comparing them side by side. But that doesn't address the weak point. Not saying that it for sure hasn't been fixed, just saying that nothing shown yet looks like it has fixed the problem.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's Screenshot_20220126-131550_Chrome

Here is the Brapter tie rod end.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's 05461FB2-97B2-481A-9A89-9ABA2FB0A502

And a failed current Bronco. I do not see any upgrade here at all. I will say that there is only so much that one can discern from images. But I would expect to SEE a visual cue that there is a larger diameter of the tie rod linkage which would lead me to believe that it is stronger. At this point, I can't see anything that would make me think that this is stronger than the base, which has broken on stock tires, and capable of handling the 37s reliably.