Sponsored

Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Everyone is hung up on the 392, but they are forgetting the V8 is all but gone. so until the new i6- turbo is out we dont know what the specs of the top of the line Wrangler we be beyond 2022.

Ford addressed some issues with the regular Bronco for the Raptor version. the 392 is still pretty much a wrangler with a bad ass engine. the on road issues are still there, the axles are the same, and overall not a ton of updates. the Bronco Raptor has a Ton of new parts beyond just the motor.

to me, this is a huge win for everyone. Jeep will now respond with hopefully a more high speed desert focused wrangler. Maybe the Mojave will finally get built, but with more upgrades. I would love to see more travel, 37s, and some fixes for some of the general gripes of the Wrangler.

I love my Wrangler, I am on my 4th JL. I have the diesel now and its a
magnificent vehicle off road. however on road its not ideal for long trips due to seats and overall road manners. is it better than my other Jls? 100%. is it a Bronco On-road? not even close.

I have a early Bronco reservation still , I will try and win the Raptor allocation lottery. if I get it great, if not, oh well. will I buy another Jeep, for sure. I hope ford does well, the better the Bronco does, the better the wrangler will become. after all these years with no major changes the Bronco has Jeep on their toes, and we are all winners due to that.
If you like them so much why do you switch them so often. Honest question. I like my Jeep so I’ve keep it since I bought it new in 2008.
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
If you like them so much why do you switch them so often. Honest question. I like my Jeep so I’ve keep it since I bought it new in 2008.
Has been discussed in great detail in a few different threads. I like to buy new cars fairly often, if new options come out I like ill sell and buy new. in the last swap, I wanted the eco-diesel. had 2 JLs bought back. I love my 2021 Diesel JLUR, but the color was not my first choice. so as soon as a new color I like is out I will sell this one and order a new one. I am also cross shopping the Bronco Raptor and upcoming Ranger Raptor. I may get another JL before those are available, or I may not.

For me, if I had a 2008, I would have sold it when the redid the interrior, and then for sure swapped to the 3.6 as soon as it was introduced to the JK.

but my vehicle habits are not just Jeeps etc. I have been this way since I was 16 or so. I almost never own a vehicle for over a year.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don't know how many Baja races you have been to, but 90 miles an hour? on a mojave JLU?, yes probably on stretches of flat washboard runs where even a FJ a grand cherokee or other similar vehicle would do it. I have been going to every (and I mean every) Baja races since 1995 and to some since 1990, and there is no way you can go 90mph+ Ivan Stuart did 100mph on a straight stretch with a HIGHLY modified toyota with a single seat centered. I have seen plenty of Trophy Trucks flip that are going at far less speed (60mph i guess) and also highly modified and way wider than the mojave with modified suspension that are not even available to the public and professional drivers and you want to convince me a stock JL going at 90mph, I am sorry 90+ mph, and I can tell you MOST trails in the dessert are plenty wide for that and more, but if you have concrete proof of a stock wrangler going 90+ miles an hour in a real desert run and I don't mean a flat straight pre-runned and pre-approved for video recording for advertisement purposes, more power to you and I would eat my words. you can't be a blind fan, there are some merits to the bronco raptor and like a said I own and love my JL and I would not go at 90 miles an hour; well I do know some stretches like "Laguna Salada" were I could, but only pre-running it first, I don't think it would be safe without. PS. BTW, I have seen a F150 stock raptor (well just modified with the roll cage to meet the safety standards of the SCORE for racing at Baja). finish the Baja 500 (which is a feat on itself) and the next day drove home to San Diego, I have seen the all-electric truck that just made it 50 miles, and have seen a dual diesel engine race it for testing purposes.
Not quite 90mph, but Gaia put our top speed at 78mph (speedo said 80 when I looked down) on the Mojave rd back when the jeep was stock. Again, the Bronco raptor will absolutely be better in the desert (if you don't fold a tie rod), but not by nearly as much as people think. The people arguing the jeep needs suspension work to run trails at anything more than 10mph need to put down their purse and drive. We generally run most trails in half the time most guides and trail reviews claim. We don't have massive shocks, bypasses, or hydraulic bump stops. Some simple improvements in the right places and a 37" tire aired down and you'd be surprised how well you can get through the desert at speed. It's no raptor or Baja racer, but it's far better than expected. Of course the internet will tell you you can't drive a lifted JLU on 37's through mountain passes at 85mph either, but 4 trips across Utah on I-70 with the cruise control on for hours a time say otherwise. Just drive, you'll be OK.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
just when I thought the flares couldn't get any worse. . . . then this happens. my god how big are we going to make these things.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
An inline V6? Those two concepts are at odds with each other. The new engine is an inline.

See above, next engine will be inline.

This is ridiculous, a half inch of wheel width makes no discernable difference.
Yes it does. Many tire shops will refuse to mount 35x12.5 and 37x12.5 tires on an 8" wheel, but they will all mount them on a 8.5" wheel. Virtually all tire manufacturers specify a minimum rim width of 8.5" for such tires.

So yes. It makes a difference in being out of spec for installation and warranty of virtually all 35 and 37" tires.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Judging by posts on Bronco6G, Ford dealers are no better. Even after having pocketed a hefty ADM before delivery.

This has nothing to do with dealer quality.

If you buy a Bronco Raptor with factory 37s, factory skids, factory Fox 3.1 shocks, factory Dana 50 axels, these are all warrantied if anything goes wrong.

Walk into any dealer with a modified vehicle and the warranty roulette starts. Fact is that no Wrangler comes from the factory with 37s, Dana 50s, Fox 3.1 shocks, etc.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I predict the Bronco Raptor failing fairly spectacularly.
I'll take the other side of that bet. Care to do a crypto smart contract on it?

If Ford dealers start discounting Bronco Raptors because they are piling up on the lots you win. If Ford dealers sell everyone they get their hands on without massive discounts I win.

The chances of Ford not selling every single Bronco Raptor they make (i.e. chances of faiure) are exactly zero.

64Chevy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 JKUR, '64 C10 stepside,'13 911 C4S, '18 GT350
This has nothing to do with dealer quality.

If you buy a Bronco Raptor with factory 37s, factory skids, factory Fox 3.1 shocks, factory Dana 50 axels, these are all warrantied if anything goes wrong.

Walk into any dealer with a modified vehicle and the warranty roulette starts. Fact is that no Wrangler comes from the factory with 37s, Dana 50s, Fox 3.1 shocks, etc.
So I was thinking about which rig would be better to wheel stock vs stock. Part of thinking about this is the whole warranty issue, for which your milage may vary. Of course, it depends on what specifically you do in terms of how the plusses and minuses work out, but I made this list. Here's what I see as the biggest potential plusses to the Bronco Raptor vs it's one obvious competitor, the Wrangler 392XR. These are my thoughts based on wheeling (given that I favor the slow technical type, not the desert running type). I'm trying to stay away from non-wheeling/overlanding differences, which are many.

- It will likely get better milage, and range is an issue way off the grid
- It comes stock with what sounds like good skid plates (the 392's/Rubicon's are a joke)
- It has a tiny bit more ground clearance (0.2")
- I haven't found an RTI (ramp travel index) on the Raptor yet, but I suspect it will challenge/beat the 392
- It can ford about 3.5" deeper water
- It has beefy side steps, which likely out-protect the sides of the vehicle versus the pinch seam rails on the 392
- It has a touch more cargo capacity, and that cargo capacity is more easily used (big square area, cage pushed out closer to the hardtop)
- Potentially better Fox shocks (the 392 XR package uses unbranded shocks)
- Two more up fitter switches
- If the Raptor fenders remove like the base Bronco, that is a plus for replacement, and they aren't painted (unlike the mandatory painted fenders on the 392)
- Like the base Bronco, a better surround view camera system, which might lessen the need to be spotted in some situations

There are also some minuses

- To get the clearance and approach/breakover/departure angles it rides on 37's vs 35's--that's more wheel weight, which is almost never a plus
- Site lines still poorer than any Wrangler
- Unclear if stock bumper will allow mounting a winch
- Wide--very very wide--it would not work on some trails I have done (of course, my Wrangler or the 392 would not work on some trails I've done on side by sides)

FWIW, I am huge Wrangler fan, waiting to see new colors before ordering a 392, and while I like this Bronco for the way it will hopefully drive Jeep to respond, I am absolutely not a Bronco fanboy. Just trying to get the differences straight in my mind.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Even a stock jl can be driven across the desert at speeds greater than most will ever try. The gladiator Mojave is plenty stable at 90mph+ as long as you slow down for the rutted out sections and big whoops. Obviously a long travel ifs will be better at high speeds, but the thing is too wide for most trails. It's a 1 trick pony. A 392 JLU Mojave with hydraulic bump stops, better shocks, and 37's would be almost as good as the Bronco in the desert (better on the smooth and fast sections thanks to the power and weight advantage and better in any actually technical sections), and far better on every other type of terrain. There's a reason why over half the koh competitors are still running solid front axles. They are better in the technical sections, cheaper and easier to build and build strong enough to hold up, and reasonably stable at speed if the driver has the balls to send it. If your only use is high speed desert runs, why wouldn't you just buy an F150 raptor or trx as both will still be better than the Bronco? If you plan to run tight trails, you'll quickly find the pig wide raptor a detriment. Oh, and there's this...https://www.drivingline.com/articles/evo1-takes-on-the-baja-1000-video/
Yeah that really looks like a stock JL Mojave with stock width and stock suspension; and they say it right there "there aren't many other wranglers unlimited that have experienced the Baja 1000 and losing an engine a few miles into the race" (in other words from the start), aaaah but in the second run "zero tire failures" mechanical yes but tires they made it.
I tell you what, I will be going to the Baja (San Felipe 250) this coming spring (march-april) I'll keep track of how many jeeps race it, I'll even take pictures and post them here and it is only 250 miles hence San Felipe 250, oh also if I see a bronco raptor (they sometimes test them there or the 500) I'll take pics and post them here.
All I am trying to say is like someone else said it here it is apples and oranges although the bronco stock does very good on rock crawling (see ) and that is the badlands original bronco stock. you can't be a fan boy and be blinded, gotta be open to new designs, competition is good.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here's what I see as the biggest potential plusses to the Bronco Raptor vs it's one obvious competitor, the Wrangler 392XR.
The Bronco Raptor starts at $69K and that is supper well equipped (12" screen, 37s, full skids, Fox 3.1, Dana50, etc).

The 392 XR is $15K more with a tiny 8" screen, Dana 44s, tiny 35s, junk no-brand shocks, narrow 8" wheels that tire shops will refuse to mount 35x12.5 and 37x12.5 tires on, etc.

I think you missed the biggest advantage. Price.

Stock for stock, tire size and ground clearance trumps everything in the types of wheeling that owners of $70K+ brand new vehicles do.
Sponsored